Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Health & Other Support > Men-Focused Support

advertisement
Unread 06-13-2017, 01:09 PM   #1
sito has no updates.

Default Wrong path in life?

My life hasn't gone in the direction that planned out. I originally want to enter medicine but I burn out at the end of school. Depression suddenly hit me but I was unaware it. I changed career several times but I haven't been satisfied with any my actions. I work in IT field now. I don't feel content with my life. I just don't know where my life should headed.

Women seem to. Have easier time sorting out their goals in life. I wonder if other men have trouble focusing on their goal. I hope to get feedback from you guys here. My therapist is only interested in prescribing meds. I am tired of it
sito is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Unread 06-13-2017, 06:56 PM   #2
Wise Old Troll

Skeezyks has no updates.

My Mood:

7,525 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Shocked Re: Wrong path in life?

Well... I'm an older person now. But what I can say is that my life went off the rails early & just kept going. I have sometimes tried to think back to where the initial derailment occurred. But to no avail. I think, to some extent, I was probably just an accident looking for a place to happen from the get-go.
Skeezyks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2017, 07:50 PM   #3
Legendary

Angelique67 has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Wrong path in life?

Me too. I had my first major meltdown (mental health breakdown, not a tantrum) when I was five or six years old. And my life went very badly thereafter.

I've tried to make the best of whatever I have, but I've fallen so far short of what I imagined I wanted, it took this long for me to accept that I wasn't going to have the things almost everyone else has, or do the things everyone else does. With acceptance still comes sadness. And grief.
Angelique67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2017, 02:27 PM   #4
Legendary

My Mood:

2 yr Member PC PoohBah!

Oops, I missed that this is the men's support forum, and I'm a woman. I'm sorry. If it bothers anyone just report my two posts and a moderator can delete them.
Unread 06-15-2017, 06:21 PM   #5
sito has no updates.

No problem. I welcome all comments
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 06-15-2017, 06:22 PM   #6
sito has no updates.

I just don't know where to post
Unread 06-15-2017, 07:02 PM   #7
Legendary

My Mood:

2 yr Member PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sito View Post
I just don't know where to post
Maybe in "other mental health..." Forum? Or maybe in the "depression" forum?
Unread 06-15-2017, 07:37 PM   #8
sito has no updates.

Can mod move my post to depression?
Unread Yesterday, 01:12 PM   #9
RDMercer has no updates.

3 yr Member

Hey Sito.

What you are describing is normal. As for women finding it easier, I don't think so. Women often have to have a career that works around their husband's, or they have to leave their careers and re-train after having a family.

There are far, far more careers out there than what most of us are aware of.

What drew you to medicine? Was it your interest or were you pushed to enter the field? What parts of it did you like or dislike? You say you are working in IT now. Are there possibilities of working in medical database administration, where you would be able to speak both I.T. language and medical language?

I see you are in Canada. Is there a possibility of looking into work in medical imaging technology? What about companies that provide service to HR departments for major corporations around drug and alcohol testing? Those policies have to be backed by research so that if the person is dismissed from a job, the employer can say, "Yeah. We fired him. His actions were unsafe because his decision making was impaired by taking drug xyz during work hours, and we have the research documented to back that up."

What about clinical research? Is there something to build off from your undergrad (biology, chem, physics)??

If you made it to the end of med school, you are crazy smart.... Smarter than most. There are different measures of intelligence but that level of education means you can read, write, analyze, plan, see things visual-spatial, and do more math than 95% of the population, AND you can turn all of that into action... Not just a deep thinker. And, it means you can f**cking work!! Med school and engineers f**king work! Do you know how many young people today don't know how to work???

You need to breathe... I think you are tearing yourself up for not finishing med school. You know what? Everyone reaches a limit. Yours could have been because you didn't like it and pushed through for years, or you had a bad loss at work, or life forces outside you affected you, or the crazy shift rotations wore you down, or you sacrificed a relationship to keep going in school.

All that means you're human! We can ALL be broken, and most of us are at some point.

Successful people take credit for their wins, and blame their losses on things outside their control. That behavior ensures their "self" is protected. You can adopt some of that attitude to shrug of med school, perhaps.

Sito, you live in a good country. You have a job that pays OK for now. You have a ton of additional education that maybe you can build off for something else. You're OK, and you can be even better. You're smart and hardworking. You can end up doing pretty near anything you want, and in the meantime, you still have a job that is paying the bills.

You have a long working life ahead of you... You have time to figure out what works for you in your career.

You're going to be great.
RDMercer is offline   Reply With Quote