Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > >

advertisement

Old 11-07-2018, 12:18 AM   #1
moon66
moon66 has no updates.

3 yr Member
Default Questions about learning disabilities

I'm from Pennsylvania. I was wondering if there is any way to get a brain scan for learning disabilities, IQ, or anything related to the brain and learning. I've also been wondering how do they even check the entire brain to find out if it's working properly or right since there are so many different parts to the entire brain.

I have had a Neuropsychological evaluation but it's really old. I also had another evaluation done by a Psychologist who had a Psy.D. Also, what other types of doctors help find out learning disabilities and other issues of the brain?

Is there even brain scanning that can do any of the stuff I would like done? I want something accurate and won't harm me. I know you can't just cut the skull open and look at it unless you'd be dealing with tumors or in need of a Neurosurgeon. I don't have tumors from what I know. I also don't know my true IQ and I'm told that doesn't matter a lot. How do you honestly get your entire brain tested to see if it's working right and everything in it and about it?

Also, as a young kid growing up it's possible that I might have sustained a concussion but never went to the hospital or emergency room. I just know I was hit in the head while playing or wrestling with brothers. Should I be worried now even though that it was so long ago? I did have brain scans as a teenager with dye in them but that was when I was a teenager or adolescent. I am sort of tired of paper/pencil evaluations and want to do something that really sees inside your brain or elsewhere.

I also have never had brain surgery for anything. I do have a mental health diagnosis, take medicine, and see therapists, as well as a Psychiatrist. Not sure in the far future if surgery will be appropriate if it's not harmful and is down to a science in fixing the issues I have. I also was in special education since elementary until the day I graduated from high school.

Other than psychologists what other doctors help with learning disabilities, IQ, or other problems with learning? I'm told I am not intellectually disabled. I look normal and I'd say I act normal. My education wasn't good growing up. I also am not sure if Auditory processing disorder could be an issue.

Thanks
moon66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:

advertisement
Old 11-10-2018, 10:04 AM   #2
MickeyCheeky
Elder

MickeyCheeky My echo is the only voice coming back

My Mood: Questions about learning disabilities

2 yr Member
12.9k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Questions about learning disabilities

I don't know what other doctors could tell you, but if your psychologist says that there are no learning disabilities, I guess that's just it.
MickeyCheeky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:36 PM   #3
moon66
moon66 has no updates.

3 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyCheeky View Post
I don't know what other doctors could tell you, but if your psychologist says that there are no learning disabilities, I guess that's just it.
I have issues in math mostly. I attempted community college twice. They switched my tutor I was working with all through the summer. I had to switch professors because two weren't working as well with me. One had a language barrier or accent.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 11-12-2018, 04:10 PM   #4
amandalouise
Wise Elder

amandalouise has no updates.

8 yr Member
660 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon66 View Post
I'm from Pennsylvania. I was wondering if there is any way to get a brain scan for learning disabilities, IQ, or anything related to the brain and learning. I've also been wondering how do they even check the entire brain to find out if it's working properly or right since there are so many different parts to the entire brain.

I have had a Neuropsychological evaluation but it's really old. I also had another evaluation done by a Psychologist who had a Psy.D. Also, what other types of doctors help find out learning disabilities and other issues of the brain?

Is there even brain scanning that can do any of the stuff I would like done? I want something accurate and won't harm me. I know you can't just cut the skull open and look at it unless you'd be dealing with tumors or in need of a Neurosurgeon. I don't have tumors from what I know. I also don't know my true IQ and I'm told that doesn't matter a lot. How do you honestly get your entire brain tested to see if it's working right and everything in it and about it?

Also, as a young kid growing up it's possible that I might have sustained a concussion but never went to the hospital or emergency room. I just know I was hit in the head while playing or wrestling with brothers. Should I be worried now even though that it was so long ago? I did have brain scans as a teenager with dye in them but that was when I was a teenager or adolescent. I am sort of tired of paper/pencil evaluations and want to do something that really sees inside your brain or elsewhere.

I also have never had brain surgery for anything. I do have a mental health diagnosis, take medicine, and see therapists, as well as a Psychiatrist. Not sure in the far future if surgery will be appropriate if it's not harmful and is down to a science in fixing the issues I have. I also was in special education since elementary until the day I graduated from high school.

Other than psychologists what other doctors help with learning disabilities, IQ, or other problems with learning? I'm told I am not intellectually disabled. I look normal and I'd say I act normal. My education wasn't good growing up. I also am not sure if Auditory processing disorder could be an issue.

Thanks
yes there are brain scans that can.........help............in diagnosing some learning disorders. but they are used with what you call paper and pencil tests.

the psychiatric evaluations and academic/ IQ tests tell the doctors what scans need to be done.

example if your paper and pencil tests and psych eval shows you are having trouble reading and get things out of order an MRI with contrast (dye) will show how your brain is working when reading by while you are in the scanning machine they have you read something, have you look at pictures and blinking lights. this will tell them whether you have mini seizures or if your eyes to brain connections are working right.

if you are having trouble with movement, and all academics an MRI with or without contrast can tell them if your learning problems are because of things like MS,CP, Parkinsons, Alzheimers or other degenerative brain diseases/disorders.

if you feel that your learning problems are because of physical brain problems then ask for the brain scans.

you stated as a teen ager you had an MRI with dye. if you had any problems associated to your learning problems it would have showed up then. my suggestion is ask to see the report or have your treatment providers look in their files they will be able to tell you what you were diagnosed with after the mri
amandalouise is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 11-14-2018, 11:36 PM   #5
moon66
moon66 has no updates.

3 yr Member

I had the brain scan with dye when I was in a psychiatric hospital. They didn't do learning or any of that when I was in there.

The problem is my current psychiatrist doesn't seem to want to send me to someone for this and I want it. How can I get this done? I already have a recent evaluation that was done by a psychologist who had a Psy.D. Can you help me locate one near my area? Private message me if so.

Thanks
Old 11-15-2018, 12:47 PM   #6
amandalouise
Wise Elder

amandalouise has no updates.

8 yr Member
660 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon66 View Post
I had the brain scan with dye when I was in a psychiatric hospital. They didn't do learning or any of that when I was in there.

The problem is my current psychiatrist doesn't seem to want to send me to someone for this and I want it. How can I get this done? I already have a recent evaluation that was done by a psychologist who had a Psy.D. Can you help me locate one near my area? Private message me if so.

Thanks
Im sorry but you will need to go through your doctors and therapists for this. the cost of what you want in florida is in the $2600- $2700 range. ( your location says florida which is in the USA. )

here all americans must have health insurance. which means to get this test covered by your insurance plan you will need a doctors referral stating there is medical or mental health need for it (example tumors/cancers/ Traumatic Brain injury, Seizures...)

A psychologist does not do this kind of test. brain scans are done by medical doctors,

how to get one your psychologist sends your medical doctor a fax saying there is a mental/ physical health need for this test.

you schedule with your medical doctor an appointment, the medical doctor does a physical to confirm there is a medical/ mental health need for this test.

the medical doctor sends your insurance the information that your insurance needs in order to decide whether to approve or deny paying the cost.

if approved your medical doctor contacts you and tells you which hospital imaging department or other medical imaging department to go to and have the test done.

when the test is done the radiologist / medical technician sends the results back to your medical doctor and your psychologist,

your medical doctor and psychologist contacts you to tell you the results of your MRI and whether you need more tests or treatments.
amandalouise is offline   Reply With Quote