Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > >

advertisement

Old 09-24-2018, 08:03 AM   #1
AutLumBe
AutLumBe has no updates.

Default I'm not sure

Let me introduce myself to begin with; I am an 18-year-old Autistic Male; I know I have some sort of learning disability along with my other "conditions"; but I haven't ever been certain on which one due to the extent of the symptoms; or if it could very well be multiple.

I’d like to being describing my symptoms to the members of this forum in regards to my difficulties in writing or typing. – I very commonly write entirely wrongs words than I mean to… for example it can be as bad as writing “combustion” instead of “can’t”; this also extends into forgetting about suffixes or prefixes like “-ing”.

I usually do this every time I write something; in which the most concerning part of it is that I have some sort of “Word Blindness”; in which I cannot identify those mistakes and mistypes into after I am complete with that specific writing. After I do complete a writing I usually end up re-writing it several times into I get it to what I would classify as “perfection”; and into I identify all the mistypes.

In terms of my handwriting… I avoid writing by hand as much as possible as I have extremely poor and the verge of illegible handwriting; for example I can rarely properly write by on the space I have; or rather I have poor spatial awareness with my handwriting.

- I think it’s best not to stay on that topic for much longer, as I would write about it for a very long time; I’d like to move on with that these same symptoms reflect over to my verbal speech. I sometimes say the wrong words than I intend to; sometimes my sentences “scramble”; or a miss-pronounce things.

The speech problems could very well be related to me being Autistic instead; as I was non-verbal into 4-5, or rather I only babbled; and most of my life (including now) I tend to avoid speaking as I don’t feel the need to; and I only speak very complexly to my family… I usually only talk to people that I know in short and brief conversation or responses both due to me not wanting to speak, and due to anxiety issues. (among some other smaller reasons).

- Okay I will move on from that particular subject now; and move onto reading. I have a lot of problems with reading; I rarely even try to read a book because I cannot tolerate it. I get bored extremely quickly; I lose where I’m at; I have to re-read things several times to comprehend them. – In which case I stick to short writings, articles, videos, etc, etc in order to learn information.

- I’d like to dwell on my reading for a little bit longer; as I do wear glasses, but I have noticed over the years that I do not actually need them. For the most part I can see perfectly find except for very small text.. – In which case I can see that small text if I let me eyes adjust and it’s not on a white background (sensory issues); but the text appears to “shake”, and the bottom half of it turns grey.

Final topic I wish to speak about currently is that I do not understand Math; I can grasp the basic principles but beyond that I can rarely ever understand it, and if I do I usually forget it within a couple of days; I have managed to keep a passing grade throughout School (quite often barely) due to me having a lot more time to work as I go to an online charter school.

(Final Note; this is only the "tip of the iceberg", especially sense there was a lot more when I was younger, in which I'd also like to note I've always had coordination problems throughout my life, which makes me suspect Dyspraxia, Ill add a very small list here..).
(Can't tie shoes other than in a small and simple way I've recently learned, hands shaking when holding things, always spilling things, delayed bike riding, swimming, etc, can't do things that require balance and coordination like cartwheels, hand stands, sports, etc).
AutLumBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:

advertisement
Old 09-26-2018, 11:31 AM   #2
Skeezyks
Apparition

Skeezyks has no updates.

My Mood: I'm not sure

3 yr Member
12.6k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile Re: I'm not sure

Thanks for sharing your concerns. I'm sorry I can't be of help with this. But I noticed no one had replied to your post. So I thought I would. We here on PC can't offer diagnoses either for mental health or medical conditions. However hopefully there will be some other members who will have some thoughts they can share.

In the meantime, here are links to 3 short articles, from PsychCentral's archives, that talk about recent research findings regarding the functioning of the autistic brain. Perhaps you may find some of the insights gained as a result of these studies to be of interest:

Autistic Brain Is Wired Different

Imaging Study Finds Unique Brain Patterns Among Autistic

Brains of Adults with Autism Adapt Differently in Implicit Learning
Skeezyks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 02:41 PM   #3
Fuzzybear
Wisest Elder Ever

Fuzzybear has no updates.

10 yr Member
49.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: I'm not sure

Fuzzybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 06:39 AM   #4
AutLumBe
AutLumBe has no updates.

Default Re: I'm not sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezyks View Post
Thanks for sharing your concerns. I'm sorry I can't be of help with this. But I noticed no one had replied to your post. So I thought I would. We here on PC can't offer diagnoses either for mental health or medical conditions. However hopefully there will be some other members who will have some thoughts they can share.

In the meantime, here are links to 3 short articles, from PsychCentral's archives, that talk about recent research findings regarding the functioning of the autistic brain. Perhaps you may find some of the insights gained as a result of these studies to be of interest:
Thanks for the response, and I know the members of this board cannot diagnosis; - I will be going for an official evaluation sometime in the future; I'd hope I can within a couple of years from now. - But for now I'm content with exploring it independently to find "answers".
AutLumBe is offline   Reply With Quote