Keltielin02
Keltielin02 has no updates.

My Mood: Trouble with jobs

3 yr Member
5 hugs
given
Default Trouble with jobs

Hello,

I currently was diagnosed with a few things. The one was a learning disability and ADHD as well as Bipolar and I'm just looking for information. I struggle primarily in a job because I have difficulty picking things up quickly and tend to not understand things unless someone is patient and can actually sit down with me and train me properly. I find the jobs I am choosing are not patient and want people who can keep up with a busy pace and don't get that I need further instruction plus regular breaks or my brain gets foggy. I currently take medication for the ADHD but it is just tough how does one cope with this and learn how to improve on the job. The majority of the time I either get fired or quit out of fear that I will be fired for falling behind / not keeping up with my work. Any suggestions would be much appreciated thank you .

advertisement
Old 12-20-2017, 07:43 PM   #2
Sometimes psychotic
Legendary

Sometimes psychotic Hugs to all!

5 yr Member
16.9k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Trouble with jobs

Can you do something that requires less thinking? What have you tried?
Old 12-21-2017, 01:51 AM   #3
Keltielin02

3 yr Member
5 hugs
given

I am currently talking to my doctor about this DBT therapy because I have multiple conditions so he thinks this will help greatly instead of just medication so this will start hopefully in a couple weeks, I currently do the Cognitive Behavioral therapy and ya I am looking for a job with less math and paperwork. I was previously a receptionist but now I am looking for more behind the scenes job that are fairly straightforward. I had an interview for a job yesterday that they said requires no experience and will provide proper training. I think things will get better once I start the DBT group therapy it is supposed to help with a number of things I am struggling with so ya if you have any other suggestions let me know . Thanks .
Old 12-23-2017, 12:53 PM   #4
Sometimes psychotic
Legendary

Sometimes psychotic Hugs to all!

5 yr Member
16.9k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

How about something in a mail room? It requires some strength but not as much energy mentally.....
Old 12-28-2017, 12:52 PM   #5
Keltielin02

3 yr Member
5 hugs
given

Hello ,

Yes I thought about that I have applied at a few different positions mostly behind the scenes jobs because before I was a receptionist and the multi tasking was an issue with the phones ringing, customers coming to the front desk and then of course the pressure from your boss as well as paperwork and confirmation calls. I realize I should be able to handle all this but I'm still going through therapy to help with my focus and everything so ya it was too much to handle , I am disappointed in myself I'm not usually a quitter but I was overwhelmed. I think things will get better if I just find a job that is the right fit. Thank you everyone for your helpful advice.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:16 AM   #6
Cat_Lover_58
Grand Poohbah

Cat_Lover_58 Enjoying a day off...

3 yr Member
133 hugs
given

Hi Keltielin02, yes I think you have the right idea. It's okay to be overwhelmed and not take on too much, especially if you're still in therapy to help with your focus. I still deal with this now and again..the focus thing I mean. Keep on keeping on..and be gentle with yourself.
Cat_Lover_58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:24 AM   #7
ForestWasp
ForestWasp has no updates.

I had always struggled with jobs in that way. My problem was not always the learning part of it but the self confidence part in being able to do what I had learned. I think that if you find yourself a job that is less taxing mentally you will do good
ForestWasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:49 AM   #8
bpforever1
Grand Member
bpforever1 has no updates.

778 hugs
given

Job is just a job. But, to find one that suits you well, you might have to do go through a couple of jobs until you find one that is compatible. I work part-time as a teacher and this suits me well. I just focus on teaching a few hours a day. I am trying to work five days a week just as a part-time teacher. I like teaching because it allows me to be with people and the opportunity to give something back. It also pays. However, you said you are receiving DBT on top of medication. I think you should work with your therapist and have your therapist/group offer some suggestions on what type of work you can or can't do. For me, I received therapy and it did wonders for my compliance with medication. I don't have much problems with teaching now so have never sought therapy about work though. But, you should ask your therapist/group about your strengths and weaknesses. Getting advice from people who know you is best. Also, may be, your family- if they are supportive can offer you some suggestions too. Doing well at a job entails one's abilities to do the job well and one's motivation/ interest in the job itself. You should find jobs you like doing. Of course, we can't all be picky about the jobs we receive. Thus, with each job, you should try to think of it as a learning experience and if it goes well, great and if it does not, it was just an experience. I got into teaching not because I wanted to initially but because teaching was the only job available to me where I was living at the time. I thought of it as a learning experience. Then, I found jobs that allowed me to work with only adults. I really enjoyed these jobs. Thus, I am now teaching only adults and am happy. I wish you the best and continue to persevere!! You have a great attitude and this will go a long way for you!!
bpforever1 is offline   Reply With Quote