Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Learning Disorders

advertisement
Unread 09-23-2017, 09:54 PM   #1

Amethyst_Stargazer has no updates.

My Mood:

11 hugs
given
Default I get made fun of for having a learning disability :(

It takes me a lot longer to process information, language and Math. Through out my entire life I've been made fun of due to this and was often called a "retard" by other kids as I was in School. I'm a lot older now and there's still people who still continue to laugh at me or make fun of me behind my back due to my learning disability.

Now I haven't told anyone about it. However there's times people can tell because I react slowly to things and sometimes I get confused and not sure what certain things mean or understand certain jokes. It takes me a long time to figure out jokes and when people are laughing, I don't understand what was funny about the joke. If I'm watching a comedy movie however and a character does something funny I'll laugh to it, but if they tell a knock knock joke or some kind of inside joke I'm confused and honestly don't get it.

I've had trouble making friends due to this and sometimes I'm scared to death to meet others because of the treatment I get from others. I'm usually always so nice to others, so I don't understand why they continue to put me down and make fun of me. As if I'm the punch line to their jokes.

Sometimes I stand up for myself and other times I don't say anything at all because I hate starting a fight. I'm usually a pretty peaceful person. Many of the friends I do have told me that I should stand up for myself and not tolerate it anymore. I'm very confident with who I am... I just don't understand why people can be so cruel. I honestly don't.
Amethyst_Stargazer is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Unread 09-23-2017, 10:05 PM   #2

Bjørnen *nervous chuckle*

My Mood:

1,207 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: I get made fun of for having a learning disability :(

The way some people can just be cruel like it's nothing is absolutely stunning. The most baffling of all is how kind, deeply caring people can so often become the target of abuse from society, especially in school. It seems absurd now how well I learned to fake being emotionally stunted in school, so I wouldn't be singled out for being "touchy-feely".

You have my empathy, Amethyst . You are clearly a kind, intelligent, well spoken person. The world needs more like you.
Unread 09-23-2017, 11:22 PM   #3
Magnate

Shazerac is attempting to contact the mother ship.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
1,186 hugs
given

Sorry you are treated in such a cruel way. It's not right and it shouldn't happen.

Eat a live frog for breakfast every morning and nothing worse can happen to you that day!

"Ask yourself whether the dream of heaven and greatness should be left waiting for us in our graves - or whether it should be ours here and now and on this earth.” Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Bipolar type 2 rapid cycling DX 2013 -
Seroquel 100 > 75mg as of 9/1/17
Celexa 40mg > 30 mg as of 9/1/17 > 20mg 9/19/17
Xanax .5 mg prn
Modafanil 200mg > 100mg as of 9/1/17

Shazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 09-24-2017, 08:54 AM   #4
existing but not living
Community Liaison
shattered sanity has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
1,360 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst_Stargazer View Post
It takes me a lot longer to process information, language and Math. Through out my entire life I've been made fun of due to this and was often called a "retard" by other kids as I was in School. I'm a lot older now and there's still people who still continue to laugh at me or make fun of me behind my back due to my learning disability.

Now I haven't told anyone about it. However there's times people can tell because I react slowly to things and sometimes I get confused and not sure what certain things mean or understand certain jokes. It takes me a long time to figure out jokes and when people are laughing, I don't understand what was funny about the joke. If I'm watching a comedy movie however and a character does something funny I'll laugh to it, but if they tell a knock knock joke or some kind of inside joke I'm confused and honestly don't get it.

I've had trouble making friends due to this and sometimes I'm scared to death to meet others because of the treatment I get from others. I'm usually always so nice to others, so I don't understand why they continue to put me down and make fun of me. As if I'm the punch line to their jokes.

Sometimes I stand up for myself and other times I don't say anything at all because I hate starting a fight. I'm usually a pretty peaceful person. Many of the friends I do have told me that I should stand up for myself and not tolerate it anymore. I'm very confident with who I am... I just don't understand why people can be so cruel. I honestly don't.

so many people these days feel that just because they are good at math, or can laugh at a certain joke, or are good with science, then everyone has to be.

it's like.. well, i'm good at this, and so are all my friends, so you don't fit in until you learn

but I can tell you that you're exactly the same as everyone else.

you have learning problems. you're still going to get everything, and be just as inteligent as everyone else you meet, things just take a little longer for you

and people don't like that because the people that usually say those types of things are well educated and well informed, and they look down on those that arn't
shattered sanity is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 09-24-2017, 04:37 PM   #5
Wisest Elder Ever

Fuzzybear has no updates.

10 yr Member
34.6k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Some people can be so cruel
Unread 09-28-2017, 09:25 PM   #6
just2b has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
26 hugs
given

Same here...don't understand this cruel world. My son is staying back in 3 rd grade. He experiences kids making fun of him and laughing. I also stayed back in 2nd grade.
I don't always get stuff but either I play along or half laugh or just don't find the humor.
just2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2017, 02:43 PM   #7
Poohbah

Nike007 has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
68 hugs
given

I'm sorry this happens to you. I do understand your struggle, though for me, it's in different areas of weakness. I am quite good at math and I tend to process things quickly, but I have a bad memory. I can do fast math, just because I am good at it, but for me, I tend to forget what we were suppose to do in class, even if teachers just said what to do five seconds ago. It makes me feel bad, as I don't want to ask the teacher again, but I can't remember what was asked of us to do.

No one has ever made fun of me luckily, but I can understand the feeling. It's hard having invisible disabilities.

DX: Social anxiety disorder, GAD, ASD, depression, unsure if OCD is diagnosed (long story)

RX: Effexor XR, 75mg; Ativan 0.5 mg PRN

Previous RX: Zoloft, 25-75mg; Lexapro 5-15mg; Luvox 25-50mg

I have ASD so please be kind if I say something socially unacceptable. Thank you.
Nike007 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 10-01-2017, 01:56 AM   #8
~ wingin' it ~

Miswimmy1 has no updates.

5 yr Member
930 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I'm sorry you had to experience this.

I commend you for continuing to be kind and supportive of those around you even if they don't show you the same.
Unread 10-09-2017, 11:04 AM   #9

MidnightSparrow has no updates.

My Mood:

5 hugs
given

I am sorry you have been teased, kids can be so cruel, unfortunately, adults can do it in other ways ( i.e. that annoying poster that teases on grammar/spelling errors). There is nothing humorous or amusing in pointing someone's flaws. I don't have a disability and still I find humans like to tease each other because they can. Next time someone points out a flaw make sure to call them out on it. "its not funny". Stick up for others too that are being targeted. Sometimes we giggle, turn a cheek or laugh off the insult to hide our discomfort or pain, but I feel if your direct and honest to the person on how it makes you feel it will bring awareness for them to stop.

MidnightSparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 10-14-2017, 10:17 PM   #10
Dancer in the Dark

spondiferous has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
3,085 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

That's absolutely ******. People do the same thing to me for being hard of hearing. I get laughed at and made fun of all the time. As if it's a joke that I can't hear anything. People can be jerks. I'm sorry you've had to go through this.