Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > General > Insurance and Finances

advertisement
Unread 07-26-2017, 02:22 AM   #1

YMIHere has no updates.

2 yr Member
32 hugs
given
Default Getting SSDI

I knew that you have to be disabled for a year before they will even consider you. I'm right now trying to apply for Medicaid and it's asking me about a disability which OFFICIALLY I have though I don't get SSI or SSDI. So now I'm wondering if I should apply for SSDI. The last time I worked full time (besides dog walking) was December. I thought I needed to wait until a year to even apply. Am I wrong on that?

WARNING! I have ADHD. Expect long winded, off topic responses. Your understanding is appreciated.
YMIHere is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Unread 07-26-2017, 03:24 AM   #2
Elder

HALLIEBETH87 has no updates.

My Mood:

10 yr Member
1,306 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Getting SSDI

I think I would go ahead and start the process. I applied before a year and was denied BUT soooo many people are denied the first time. With a lawyer I did an appeal and won. All within a years time.
Borderline personality

haldol, lamictal, Latuda, pristiq, cogentin and melatonin. Ativan prn
HALLIEBETH87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2017, 04:45 AM   #3

Nocalove has no updates.

My Mood:

I agree. I would go ahead and apply. Most of the time it can take up to two years to get approved if you have been denied at application level. I was approved at application level.

Vraylar 6 mg
Lamictal 200 mg
Buspar 45 mg
Minipress 300 mg
Strattera 80 mg
Nocalove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2017, 08:22 AM   #4
Pandita-in-training

Perna has no updates.

10 yr Member
536 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

The disability (meaning you cannot work) has to last or be expected to last for a year. I don't know how long you have worked total, you have to have a certain number of credits to get SSDI but SSI does not have that: https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-eligibility-ussi.htm
Unread 07-26-2017, 03:57 PM   #5

YMIHere has no updates.

2 yr Member
32 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocalove View Post
I agree. I would go ahead and apply. Most of the time it can take up to two years to get approved if you have been denied at application level. I was approved at application level.
What is application level?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perna View Post
The disability (meaning you cannot work) has to last or be expected to last for a year. I don't know how long you have worked total, you have to have a certain number of credits to get SSDI but SSI does not have that: https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/text-eligibility-ussi.htm
I have credits for having worked.

WARNING! I have ADHD. Expect long winded, off topic responses. Your understanding is appreciated.
YMIHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2017, 04:03 PM   #6
Grand Magnate

BeyondtheRainbow finally cuddling with kittens

My Mood:

2 yr Member
1,049 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I don't think there is any time you have to be disabled before benefits, just as someone else said you have to be expected to be disabled for at least a year. My date of disability was Aug. 6 and I was approved in April of the following year (only 11 weeks after applying, so really fast as well). You don't get paid for 6 months from date of disability (I think, don't completely trust my memory on that) but you can apply at any time.

You can call your local social security office with questions.
Meds: Clozaril 350 mg, Emsam 9 mg, gabapentin 800 mg bedtime & 100 PRN twice daily, topamax 25 mg, klonopin 2 mg/1mg PRN, valium 5 mg PRN, hydroxyzine 25 mg PRN, lots of vitamins and meds for side effects

BeyondtheRainbow is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 10-08-2017, 12:14 AM   #7
Wise Elder

Rose76 has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
3,439 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

What you're saying about a year wait is wrong. You don't have to wait at all. I applied the minute I knew I was probably not going to be able to work anymore. They approved me 3 months later.
Rose76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2017, 02:39 AM   #8
Poohbah

Hopingtrying has no updates.

3,226 hugs
given

I started applying 4 months after I became disabled and after reading that rule, did not finish the application until 6 months after the major incident (the attempt) when I became quite hopeless about how slowly I was healing. They approved me 3 months later and backdated the pay to the date of the finished application. The underlying mental issues (mood disorder, depression, GAD) had been documented for 4 years. After my attempt, I was in severe pain, and had severe physical disabilities. At month 6, I was severely depressed about how much pain and disability I still had. I was losing hope that I would ever heal so I finished the application. However, at 12 months, the pain became much more tolerable and the frustrating nerve pain that plagued my right arm (even using a mouse hurt) healed. After having SSDI for 24 months, they are currently reviewing me. Once again, I will complete the paperwork on my own (though they do ask that you provide the name of one friend or family member whom they can contact to ask about your condition.) Now and when I originally applied, I obtained copies of my medical records and used the diagnosis in them. It is good to apply ASAP because if I had, the start date of my payments might have been sooner. Also, I think to qualify, it said you had to have worked 5 out of the last 10 years based on the date of the application so for some people, if they wait a long time to apply (to many years) in order to see if they recover, the wait could effect eligibility....
Hopingtrying is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2017, 12:35 PM   #9
Bloop33 has no updates.

I had worked part time a few months before starting the application process and was approved. However, I had been let go from that job...
Bloop33 is offline   Reply With Quote