Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > >

advertisement

Old 01-27-2019, 01:56 PM   #21
Anonymous52222
Anonymous52222 has no updates. Edit

Default Re: Universal Basic Income

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheltiemom2007 View Post
AI in medical diagnosis has not been validated. In psychiatry it is especially dubious since people's symptoms change and drug combinations are unique to individuals and moments in time. You might be able to treat high blood pressure mechanically, but there are many diagnoses, psychiatric included, that require a human ear, sensitivity, and insight. AI gives none of that. Careful what you wish for. You may end up very, very, sorry.

Agreed.

I still think that AI, no matter how advanced or intelligent it becomes, will still fall short in some aspects.

For example, a robot may learn to mimic human emotions but a robot would never have genuine feelings like a human does. Also, a robot may be able to think only logically, but it would never be able to process or understand emotions like a human can.

To make matters simple, a robot could have an inhumanly high IQ, but a really low EQ. Not everything can be understood by pure logic alone. Emotional intelligence is just as important.

So when we get to the point where AI becomes that advanced, the only logical thing for us humans would be to merge with them. Brain implants to augment our human intelligence with AI would bring out the best in both worlds and build the ultimate human. When I made my post about humanity evolving into a race of demigods, merging with AI is how I will see such a feat being accomplished.

When/if such a scenario came to fruition, we would still have plenty of human doctors, scientists, engineers, ETC. These humans would simply be augmented to interface with AI.

Our next stage of evolution is through our technology, not through millions of years of natural selection. I for one, am excited.

advertisement
Old 01-27-2019, 02:00 PM   #22
Anonymous52222
Anonymous52222 has no updates. Edit

Also, this site might be a good read for some:

Future Timeline | Technology | Singularity | 2020 | 2050 | 2100 | 2150 | 2200 | 21st century | 22nd century | 23rd century | Humanity | Predictions | Events

It is a timeline into the future that based off part fact, part fiction. Each prediction has legitimate sources listed for it's basis. This site, in fact, made me start loving and appreciating science back when I found it about 10 years ago.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:44 AM   #23
AB2371

AB2371 Editing

My Mood: Universal Basic Income

156 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknessIsMyFriend View Post
Agreed.

I still think that AI, no matter how advanced or intelligent it becomes, will still fall short in some aspects.

For example, a robot may learn to mimic human emotions but a robot would never have genuine feelings like a human does. Also, a robot may be able to think only logically, but it would never be able to process or understand emotions like a human can.

To make matters simple, a robot could have an inhumanly high IQ, but a really low EQ. Not everything can be understood by pure logic alone. Emotional intelligence is just as important.
i think there is an argument here, that logic encapsulates emotion in a form of calculated consideration. In being a robot, one is programmed to perform a specific task, rationally inept to vary from this pattern, true to itself in every way. therefore encompassing both EQ and IQ at the peak of perfection.

Quote:
So when we get to the point where AI becomes that advanced, the only logical thing for us humans would be to merge with them. Brain implants to augment our human intelligence with AI would bring out the best in both worlds and build the ultimate human. When I made my post about humanity evolving into a race of demigods, merging with AI is how I will see such a feat being accomplished.

When/if such a scenario came to fruition, we would still have plenty of human doctors, scientists, engineers, ETC. These humans would simply be augmented to interface with AI.

Our next stage of evolution is through our technology, not through millions of years of natural selection. I for one, am excited.
I think there is a third kind of intelligence that is being described here. Intuition? Sanity maybe.

Because humanity thrives on competition we will have no choice but to merge ourselves, human or other, to keep up with challenges and practical adversity. Minding our best and worst selves are both god-like and post demigod traits, striving for what is in our reach will always be the natural way. We only mirror ourselves when we are forced to suffer and want or need something unobtainable. Within our own achievements, all is obtainable, but wanting, needing, earning and searching is often lost within emotional boundaries and lack there-of demanding. Clearly, humans and robots would battle only to maintain their existence and to build a better world for themselves, knowing no bounds in numbers. I agree merging is unavoidable, but is is not unlike the underdog (robot, human alike) to stand strong for those who can not.
AB2371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 05:45 AM   #24
AB2371

AB2371 Editing

My Mood: Universal Basic Income

156 hugs
given

50 - 60 years from now will be mid- or late- century, and for me, imagining 2030 is difficult. According to your timeline @DarknessIsMyFriend, that will be 2090 yet time will move as slow as it always has until we get there. The F C C were clueless to the fact the inventions of the television would change how we see the world. Black and white and color television were only so much of an improvement on the radio, but here we are today exchanging more informed live action thoughts and ideas through everyday interactions and occurrences. Yet some still demand more. As your timeline suggests, 50 - 60 years from now, more hardworking folk may be happier working less hours per week at a highly skilled level. Of course there will always be those who put in their 40-50 hpw, and would expect reasonable compensation.

And not to only mention there are those who are immune to rapid change and advancements, but many remain hopeful. What will become of those creatures? Is it fair to say that one cannot exist without the other? Must we all merge to secure our safety and livelihood in an inevitable spiraling future? Or is that all too-far beyond our vision to determine?
AB2371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:05 AM   #25
Anonymous55888
Anonymous55888 has no updates. Edit

Daniel Kahneman, a Nobel Laureate, in his book Thinking, Fast and Slow talks about the biases (systematic errors) of humans. Because we are emotional creatures, this clouds our judgments. Algorithms don't suffer from this. He gives examples from the health care and juridical systems how doctors and judges make systematic errors because of their reliance on intuitions, but they refuse to admit that algorithms can do better even when they see the results.