Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > >



advertisement
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2018, 01:59 PM   #1
zoloft haver
Member
 
zoloft haver's Avatar
zoloft haver guess i'll die
 
Member Since: Sep 2017
Location: sssssssssssssecret
Posts: 230
My Mood: can't afford to live

458 hugs
given
Default can't afford to live

i'm faced with a dilemma right now. i'd been squirreling away doses of my meds for months just in case this happened, but i reached the end of my emergency supply last week and i am no longer a haver of zoloft. my psych refuses to write me a new prescription unless i see her, not even an emergency one to tide me over to a future appointment. the thing is i don't have any money for an appointment. i've already seen a doctor once this year, and at the rate my psych charges i'll be into my deductible and paying out of pocket if i see her. i have $142 in the bank -- $110 already has to go to my junior college tuition payment plan. instead of any empathy for my situation, i got lectured for not taking my medication properly and tapering off for a few weeks without supervision -- even as she forces me to go cold turkey without supervision. yesterday i got a letter in the mail -- i guess that was what she meant when she said she'd get back to me after i cried on the phone clearly in a crisis -- saying that if i don't make an appointment within 30 days i'll be dropped from treatment. maybe i'm just too poor to deserve to be well lmao whatever. what i'm trying to ask is should i make the appointment with the money i don't have just to get my meds back and end this sickness? or should i just tell her to go forth and fornicate with herself like my addled brain is telling me to? i don't know if i'm being irrational to be this upset about this, it just seems heartless to leave me in the cold like this. i feel like i'm being held hostage.

what i'm also trying to say is never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever evereverevereverever live in america if you can help it.
zoloft haver is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Old 08-27-2018, 03:00 PM   #2
Deejay14
Poohbah
 
Deejay14's Avatar
Deejay14 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Sep 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 1,305
My Mood: can't afford to live

2 yr Member
35 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: can't afford to live

Make an appointment. Zoloft withdrawal could be the pits. When the bill comes request a payment plan. If they are reluctant, just send them some $$ monthly. You might also inquire about sliding scale fees.

Also look at the Wal-Mart $4 drugs. There are about 4 or 5 antidepressant as well as other mental health meds. While you have no insurance this might be a big help even if you have to try another drug.

You are in a tough spot. I would try to do without most anything before I would interrupt .y meds. If I didn't take them I would quickly become non functional in every way. Hope you find a solution if this doesn't work.
Deejay14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 08-28-2018, 12:06 AM   #3
mwaxy
Member
mwaxy ...how other's want me to?
 
Member Since: Aug 2018
Location: n/a
Posts: 90
My Mood: can't afford to live

70 hugs
given
Default Re: can't afford to live

Ive asked a psychiatrist to bulk bill me before. It worked but the therapeutic relationship was challenged and I changed doctors.


I am bulk billed by my family GP and so no out of pocket costs, he does my scripts, however the prescriptions I have for depression/anxiety are minimal at best so he is happy to prescribe them. There are many prescriptions GPs aren't willing to touch, they would prefer to involve a specialist such as a psychiatrist.


Do you have any community centres that provide no/low fee psychiatrist sessions? Perhaps your current psychiatrist could refer you so as to avoid huge payments?
mwaxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 08-28-2018, 01:33 AM   #4
amandalouise
Wise Elder
 
amandalouise's Avatar
amandalouise has no updates.
 
Member Since: Mar 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 8,118 (SuperPoster!)
10 yr Member
744 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: can't afford to live

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoloft haver View Post
i'm faced with a dilemma right now. i'd been squirreling away doses of my meds for months just in case this happened, but i reached the end of my emergency supply last week and i am no longer a haver of zoloft. my psych refuses to write me a new prescription unless i see her, not even an emergency one to tide me over to a future appointment. the thing is i don't have any money for an appointment. i've already seen a doctor once this year, and at the rate my psych charges i'll be into my deductible and paying out of pocket if i see her. i have $142 in the bank -- $110 already has to go to my junior college tuition payment plan. instead of any empathy for my situation, i got lectured for not taking my medication properly and tapering off for a few weeks without supervision -- even as she forces me to go cold turkey without supervision. yesterday i got a letter in the mail -- i guess that was what she meant when she said she'd get back to me after i cried on the phone clearly in a crisis -- saying that if i don't make an appointment within 30 days i'll be dropped from treatment. maybe i'm just too poor to deserve to be well lmao whatever. what i'm trying to ask is should i make the appointment with the money i don't have just to get my meds back and end this sickness? or should i just tell her to go forth and fornicate with herself like my addled brain is telling me to? i don't know if i'm being irrational to be this upset about this, it just seems heartless to leave me in the cold like this. i feel like i'm being held hostage.

what i'm also trying to say is never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever evereverevereverever live in america if you can help it.
there are many free services here in america where people can get professional help and meds. many homeless shelters have a list of treatment providers that do pro bono work, many crisis centers have psychiatrists on staff where how much you pay depends upon how much income you have sometimes the fee is as low as 0-25 ... churches can also help put you in touch with free and low income help...

my suggestion maybe you can locate free services around your location and near by towns that can help you. some are easy to locate like in phone directories, google and so on. good luck hope everything works out.
amandalouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 08-28-2018, 08:47 AM   #5
zoloft haver
Member
 
zoloft haver's Avatar
zoloft haver guess i'll die
 
Member Since: Sep 2017
Location: sssssssssssssecret
Posts: 230
My Mood: can't afford to live

458 hugs
given
Default Re: can't afford to live

thanks guys, i went ahead and made the appointment and i'll negotiate as much as i can. i make too much for any low income programs in my area, believe me i tried before i resorted to a private practice, and the things i have to say to her about this situation they've put me in are gonna bury what minimal "therapeutic" relationship we had lmao.
zoloft haver is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 08-28-2018, 09:23 AM   #6
Anonymous32891
Guest
Anonymous32891 has no updates. Edit
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: can't afford to live

zoloft, do you have anyone who can help you pay for the appointment?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:29 AM   #7
zoloft haver
Member
 
zoloft haver's Avatar
zoloft haver guess i'll die
 
Member Since: Sep 2017
Location: sssssssssssssecret
Posts: 230
My Mood: can't afford to live

458 hugs
given
Default Re: can't afford to live

Quote:
Originally Posted by whispershadow View Post
zoloft, do you have anyone who can help you pay for the appointment?
my dad's offered to help me out next month if it eats into my deductible, but that always feels bad since he doesn't make much more than i do. my mom just gave me $100 for textbooks a couple weeks ago, so i don't want to burden her for money again so soon either. i know they're my parents and they probably want to help but it always makes me feel like a failure needing to depend on them in my mid twenties when they're barely making it too.
zoloft haver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:17 PM   #8
Deejay14
Poohbah
 
Deejay14's Avatar
Deejay14 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Sep 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 1,305
My Mood: can't afford to live

2 yr Member
35 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: can't afford to live

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoloft haver View Post
thanks guys, i went ahead and made the appointment and i'll negotiate as much as i can. i make too much for any low income programs in my area, believe me i tried before i resorted to a private practice, and the things i have to say to her about this situation they've put me in are gonna bury what minimal "therapeutic" relationship we had lmao.
The Wal-Mart 400 $4 meds are for any financial bracket. You don't have to be low income.
Deejay14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 08-28-2018, 02:31 PM   #9
-jimi-
Jimi the rat
 
-jimi-'s Avatar
-jimi- is a vermin. Please feed me anyway.
 
Member Since: Dec 2008
Location: Northern Europe
Posts: 6,014
My Mood: can't afford to live

10 yr Member PC PoohBah!
Default Re: can't afford to live

So a doctor thinks it is unsafe for you to keep taking a med you're used to without an appointment, unsafe to taper but it is perfectly safe for you to just quit it with any support? I mean she is the one that could prevented this, but clearly money is her priority. Maybe other patients have gotten tired of her and dumped her.
-jimi- is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 08-29-2018, 07:36 AM   #10
zoloft haver
Member
 
zoloft haver's Avatar
zoloft haver guess i'll die
 
Member Since: Sep 2017
Location: sssssssssssssecret
Posts: 230
My Mood: can't afford to live

458 hugs
given
Default Re: can't afford to live

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deejay14 View Post
The Wal-Mart 400 $4 meds are for any financial bracket. You don't have to be low income.
sorry, i should have added that med prices are the least of my issues. my insurance actually has a solid pharmacy policy so i rarely pay more than $5 a month. it's just getting the prescription itself that's a problem.
zoloft haver is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® — Copyright © 2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.




advertisement

 

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice,
diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. .
Always consult your doctor or mental health professional before trying anything you read here.

 

HomeAbout UsContact UsPrivacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer
Forums HomeCommunity GuidelinesHelp


 
Helplines and Lifelines