advertisement

Old 11-14-2017, 12:12 AM   #1
kkrrhh
kkrrhh has no updates.

2 yr Member
101 hugs
given
Default Listing conditions when applying

I'm applying for disability/SSI, and am starting the application online for now. On the page where it asks me to list my conditions, I feel kind of torn.
I definitely have depression, social anxiety, and general anxiety for sure.
However, I've seen multiple doctors so don't even know official diagnoses, I've also recently been diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder and ADHD-PI, and in the past my psychiatrist (and maybe another doc) has said he believes my depression could be bipolar. I don't know, though. It's not that I think those things aren't true, but I've never been able to be certain whether my depression is bipolar or not and my current psych was never really thorough about diagnosis. And the other 2 seem very likely, but I'm not 1000% on them and didn't have complete faith in the evaluation or psych who gave the specific diagnosis, and honestly would probably prefer to seek another evaluation in the future even if just for my own knowledge.
So technically, yes, I've been diagnosed with all of those things. But it feels kind of weird putting them all down, and possibly sounding like a hypochondriac, when in reality if I could give a longer explanation it would be something along the lines of: "depression, with med-induced hypomania and some weirdness possibly bipolar but not really sure, and also some issues that I think are probably ASD and/or ADHD but I'm not sure whether it's technically 1 or both," ha.

So, I guess I'm asking, should I just straight up give the diagnoses given by doctors and let them do the rest? Or, since I'm essentially supposed to be explaining the reasons I have trouble working, should I at least just leave it at "depression" rather than bipolar? I don't want to downplay it, but when I'm not 1000% sure, I don't want to be dishonest. Plus if they question me about it, with them not being doctors and probably not knowing much about bipolar, any sort of uncertainty on my end might be taken as, "I'm totally lying and just threw this diagnosis down to get accepted," rather than, "the depressive side is what affects me most and while I have symptoms that may point toward bipolar I'm not 1000% sure at this point."

How do you decide what to officially put down? And does order matter?
kkrrhh is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Old 11-14-2017, 02:08 AM   #2
reb569
Poohbah

reb569 ??!!??

My Mood: Listing conditions when applying

297 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Listing conditions when applying

I've never applied myself so I don't have a direct answer, but was wondering, can you just reach out to your current providers and ask them what there diagnosis is?

"I feel like an outsider, and I always will feel like one. Iíve always felt that I wasnít a member of any particular group."
~ Anne Rice
reb569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:01 AM   #3
Rose76
Wise Elder

Rose76 has no updates.

My Mood: Listing conditions when applying

5 yr Member
3,912 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Are you taking any medication? If you are, what is the medication intended to treat. Asking your current providers what they are treating would be a good idea. Nowadays, it's generally recognized that an individual with psychological issues is very apt to have several "comorbid" conditions. Be sure and tell your doctor that you are applying. Lawyers say that having a doctor who is supportive of your application is the best start.
Rose76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:38 AM   #4
amandalouise
Wise Elder

amandalouise has no updates.

8 yr Member
641 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkrrhh View Post
I'm applying for disability/SSI, and am starting the application online for now. On the page where it asks me to list my conditions, I feel kind of torn.
I definitely have depression, social anxiety, and general anxiety for sure.
However, I've seen multiple doctors so don't even know official diagnoses, I've also recently been diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder and ADHD-PI, and in the past my psychiatrist (and maybe another doc) has said he believes my depression could be bipolar. I don't know, though. It's not that I think those things aren't true, but I've never been able to be certain whether my depression is bipolar or not and my current psych was never really thorough about diagnosis. And the other 2 seem very likely, but I'm not 1000% on them and didn't have complete faith in the evaluation or psych who gave the specific diagnosis, and honestly would probably prefer to seek another evaluation in the future even if just for my own knowledge.
So technically, yes, I've been diagnosed with all of those things. But it feels kind of weird putting them all down, and possibly sounding like a hypochondriac, when in reality if I could give a longer explanation it would be something along the lines of: "depression, with med-induced hypomania and some weirdness possibly bipolar but not really sure, and also some issues that I think are probably ASD and/or ADHD but I'm not sure whether it's technically 1 or both," ha.

So, I guess I'm asking, should I just straight up give the diagnoses given by doctors and let them do the rest? Or, since I'm essentially supposed to be explaining the reasons I have trouble working, should I at least just leave it at "depression" rather than bipolar? I don't want to downplay it, but when I'm not 1000% sure, I don't want to be dishonest. Plus if they question me about it, with them not being doctors and probably not knowing much about bipolar, any sort of uncertainty on my end might be taken as, "I'm totally lying and just threw this diagnosis down to get accepted," rather than, "the depressive side is what affects me most and while I have symptoms that may point toward bipolar I'm not 1000% sure at this point."

How do you decide what to officially put down? And does order matter?
you put down as much information as you can, order does not matter. they will also be checking with your doctors to see what your doctors think are your disorders/ diseases and whether they prevent you from getting a full time job and holding down a full time job. if you dont have enough information they will also ask you to see their own treatment providers who can give them more information about your problems and if they prevent you from working. my point in this case the more the better.
amandalouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 06:07 PM   #5
winter loneliness
Grand Member

winter loneliness has no updates.

214 hugs
given

I agree.^ Find a doctor that can give you a thorough, official diagnosis and put that down.

Bipolar 1
winter loneliness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:18 PM   #6
kkrrhh
kkrrhh has no updates.

2 yr Member
101 hugs
given

Thank you all, I really appreciate it! I'm going to call my pdoc and ask him what my official diagnosis is.
kkrrhh is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says: