Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Treatments and Self-Care Strategies > Hospitalization & Inpatient Treatment

advertisement
Unread 07-25-2017, 03:46 PM   #1

battlesymphony has no updates.

38 hugs
given
Default How to make the most of a short inpatient stay

I have been in and out of psych wards quite a lot recently and have spent from about one month to three months there at a time but I now have a new psychiatrist who says I can only stay for a couple of days to a week at the most. I'm supposed to be admitted before I get to a crisis point, to try and prevent an emergency admission, a planned admission has been suggested and I may go for it but the thing is that I generally don't feel better in hospital unless a few weeks have gone by at least so I don't know if 2-7 days would be helpful. I know that I may be in a different place though because I haven't harmed myself. If I decide to ask for a short admission, how can I make the most of my stay on the ward? How can I cram weeks worth of recovery into a few days?
battlesymphony is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Unread 07-25-2017, 03:54 PM   #2
Crone

Nammu has no updates.

Location: Some where between my inner mind and the solar system.
5 yr Member
18.9k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: How to make the most of a short inpatient stay

In the us most stays are only a few days unless you have access to a doctor with hospital privilege

Nammu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2017, 04:23 PM   #3

Care_Less has no updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlesymphony View Post
I have been in and out of psych wards quite a lot recently and have spent from about one month to three months there at a time but I now have a new psychiatrist who says I can only stay for a couple of days to a week at the most. I'm supposed to be admitted before I get to a crisis point, to try and prevent an emergency admission, a planned admission has been suggested and I may go for it but the thing is that I generally don't feel better in hospital unless a few weeks have gone by at least so I don't know if 2-7 days would be helpful. I know that I may be in a different place though because I haven't harmed myself. If I decide to ask for a short admission, how can I make the most of my stay on the ward? How can I cram weeks worth of recovery into a few days?
To be honest, I'm not sure if you can unless you go to all the groups. There really is not much else to do there for short term stays. What happens if you end up staying linger than a week? I know that in USA you are admitted in crisis and put on an involuntary 3 day hold at first and then depending on how you are doing that can be extended to 14 day then 30 day hold, but that is for short term hospitals and at those there is not much to do other than group therapy, eat, and watch tv. I'm not sure how long term hospitals are though.
Care_Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2017, 07:53 PM   #4
just another lost soul

beauflow has no updates.

5 yr Member
14.9k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Talking and participating in groups helped me out.

And this coming a person that had to stay at a hospital against my will and didn't believe the stay would help me in any way.. But at some point I decided to make the best of what I could since I couldn't leave and obviously failed...
I asked myself what can I get out of this and what do I want to get out of this?

I participated, eventually I talked about some of my own issues and in an appropriate/caring way tried to help others out [other patients] (surprisingly I was told by a few I did help them, which in turn helped myself or a bit)...

I also reminded myself that I'd have to continue work on myself and issues outside of the hospital if I really wanted, "it's only a pit stop"..

Apologies if that's a but much, but I'm hopes it may help.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 08-03-2017, 06:47 AM   #5
Legendary

possum220 has no updates.

8 yr Member
2,700 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlesymphony View Post
Sounds like your new p'doc wants to give you some respite before the things get really bad. Hopefully by doing that you won't need to be in there for an extended stay. Go to the groups if they are offered to learn more skills in dealing with life.

Having been in there myself not that long ago it helped me to re set my body clock and got me into the habit of going to bed early.

Does the facility have day programs that may help you maintain a routine in life in the real world? You don't have to hit rock bottom before you ask for help.

possum220 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 08-07-2017, 07:11 AM   #6

jmariah001 Bored right now.

My Mood:

8 yr Member
1 hugs
given

I was IP for 4 days. The best advice I can give is to go to daily groups if they have them. They helped me a lot. I met a lot of nice people nurses, doctors and other patients. If my therapist every said I should go back I would. It was a great experience.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 08-10-2017, 10:07 AM   #7
Vaporeon has no updates.

My Mood:

33 hugs
given

Short hospitalizations are pretty common these days. Going to groups might help and you could ask the psychiatrist or social worker if you could step down to a partial program after your discharge from the inpatient unit.
Vaporeon is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 08-13-2017, 06:52 PM   #8

Gr3tta_0 Now with more "0"iness!

My Mood:

321 hugs
given

Focus your efforts on your short term goal - like getting past a current urge to self harm that's causing the crisis.
Short term stays do not address overall mental health, they just help get you past a crisis situation safely.
Gr3tta_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 08-15-2017, 09:17 AM   #9
Magnate
kecanoe has no updates.

My Mood:

8 yr Member
5,094 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmariah001 View Post
I was IP for 4 days. The best advice I can give is to go to daily groups if they have them. They helped me a lot. I met a lot of nice people nurses, doctors and other patients. If my therapist every said I should go back I would. It was a great experience.
Might I ask where you went? The trauma unit where I went IP has closed, pdoc says don't go to the regular psych hospital here, and I would like to have a place in mind if I need it.
kecanoe is offline   Reply With Quote