Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Treatments and Self-Care Strategies > Hospitalization & Inpatient Treatment

advertisement
Unread 07-14-2017, 03:54 AM   #1
Grand Poohbah

DarknessIsMyFriend has no updates.

My Mood:

391 hugs
given
Question What is the funniest/most interesting person you met in a psych ward?

There is always that one person in a psych ward who is so over the top that it makes the stay less painful. Since I'm trying to be more positive, I figure that I would start a discussion about it. What is the most interesting person that you met in the psych ward?

Mine would have to be this dude I met in the adult unit I was in about 5 years ago. There was this guy there who was admitted because he was trying to chase a ghost down with a knife or some over the top reason like that and cut his leg. He was talking about how evil ghosts and spirits are all around and plotting against people and what not. He would also hit on every attractive female person there (patients and staff alike) and would tell this attractive female therapist there who was married how she should leave her husband and come with him. He would get in trouble for talking about sex with the women there and he had to be sedated more than once because he was so hyper and manic all of the time. He would tell the staff how he can fight better than Bruce Lee and he would grapple their arms and stuff if they touched him again. He also was trying to convince me that he could make military grade weapons in his garage and he was trying to tell me to sell them for him on the dark web (I had an obsession with the dark web at the time because it made me feel like I had power when my home life was a living hell). You can't make military grade weapons in a freaking garage and this guy clearly thought he could lol. He had so many behavioral problems that he was there for like 3 months. He wasn't depressed at all, in fact, he was one of the more positive people there. He was just so over the top that the staff didn't know what to do with him. He was a nice guy, just disruptive all of the time. They eventually couldn't keep him anymore and let him go.

A runner up goes to this kid I met when I was locked up at around age 15 or so. He was there for running around setting fires wearing a Superman cape and nothing else. He didn't seem to have a lot wrong with him overall other than an obsession with fantasy and video games. Then one day he freaked almost everybody on the unit out. He stole a red crayon and the staff had no idea he had it on him. He got pissed off at them one day over some random reason (I forgot why) and he was sent to the quiet room. While there, he wrote pentagrams on the walls and he wrote the words "Satan staff murder". Everyone was afraid of him and he got into a lot of trouble but I ended up befriending him because I hated it there and wished that Satan would kill them all because of this kid so that I could escape. I thought he was the most fascinating person ever at the time.

Anyways, what are your stories?

DarknessIsMyFriend is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Unread 07-14-2017, 04:02 AM   #2
Grand Magnate

Breadfish has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
1,062 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: What is the funniest/most interesting person you met in a psych ward?

One that told me that, at home, ate Nasi YOLO every day. That meant, rice with whatever else could be found in the kitchen cupboard. Can of soup in the cupboard? He'd eat rice mixed with soup.

-- J.R.R. Tolkien
Breadfish is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 07-16-2017, 07:04 PM   #3
Grand Magnate

*Laurie* is a NAMI group facilitator.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
2,799 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: What is the funniest/most interesting person you met in a psych ward?

Years ago I was IP and I met a young woman. Her name was Candy. She was IP because, she said, the devil had told her to kill her mom. But she seemed very soft-spoken and kind. We talked a lot and did sit-ups together. I've never forgotten her, and always wish her well.

Compassionate Abiding:
https://mindsetdoc.wordpress.com/201...e-abiding-101/
*Laurie* is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 07-16-2017, 11:54 PM   #4
Grand Poohbah

DarknessIsMyFriend has no updates.

My Mood:

391 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Laurie* View Post
Years ago I was IP and I met a young woman. Her name was Candy. She was IP because, she said, the devil had told her to kill her mom. But she seemed very soft-spoken and kind. We talked a lot and did sit-ups together. I've never forgotten her, and always wish her well.
Yeah I've met some pretty kind people in psych wards myself.

There was this woman that I met during my adult visit 5 years ago that I ended up getting a little too close to. She was in there because she was suicidal because her boyfriend was an abusive piece of crap and she was crying on her first night and I came up there to comfort her. We later spent a lot of time holding hands and talking. We also agreed to keep in contact outside of the unit when we were both discharged. Between that and how we were holding hands, walking around the unit talking, and occasional hugging, the staff kept getting onto us about how we need to wait until were better and we're not allowed to make friends or relationships in there and what not. I didn't care because what the hell can they do to stop us from seeing each other outside of the unit right?

The only thing stopping us from falling in love and forming a real relationship was a sizeable age difference; I was 21 at the time and she was 32. She said that would have been hitting on me if I were a few years older

Anyways, she also had trouble holding a job and I convinced her to try to work from home online. While we only talked once when we both were discharged (probably her abusive boyfriend's fault) I later looked her up on Facebook and found out she was doing well for herself working from home through a company that I once tried to work for but failed because it required good social skills to make sells and what not which I fail at.

Needless to say, even though we haven't talked in several years and she never wanted to be more than friends with me, I think I truly loved her. I'm just pleased to see that I likely made such a significant impact on her life.

DarknessIsMyFriend is offline   Reply With Quote