Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > >

advertisement

Old 10-30-2018, 03:59 AM   #1
JoeS21
JoeS21 has no updates.

3 yr Member
13 hugs
given
Default How did an inpatient stay help you?

I would like to find out how you were helped by staying in an inpatient unit at some point in time? I ask because I am trying to learn what can be gained by doing so. I admit that I will probably need to check in once again to get suicidal impulses and other issues under control. Obviously, one can get separated from society so that they do not continue to damage their reputation through self sabotage, etc. The one time I tried using an inpatient unit, it was unhelpful, no talk therapy, no one addressed any of my issues, and pretty much all we did was sit around doing remedial projects and listening to captain obvious give speeches. Please advise if you can.
JoeS21 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:

advertisement
Old 10-30-2018, 06:59 AM   #2
splitimage
Community Support Team

splitimage has no updates.

My Mood: How did an inpatient stay help you?

10 yr Member
22 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: How did an inpatient stay help you?

I've been inpatient 3 times. All 3 times were helpful, in getting over suicidal impulses, stabalized and out of a depressive episode.

But I was in a very good specialized psych hospital. We had therapy groups throughout the day, and I met with my assigned nurse to talk, each shift. I saw my psychiatrist for an hour every other day.

About the only downside to it was the lack of privacy and the facilities were kind of run down as it was an older building.

I wouldn't hesitate to go back if I really needed it.

splitimage

"I danced in the morning when the world was begun. I danced in the moon and the stars and the sun". From my favorite hymn.

"If you see the wonder in a fairy tale, you can take the future even if you fail." Abba

As some of you may know, my blog is currently off-line due to some problems at my previous site host. I'm working with my web master to rebuild and get back on-line.
splitimage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 07:04 PM   #3
NefariousAngel

NefariousAngel Coffee. Delicious coffee.

10 hugs
given

The primary help for me was giving me a safe place to rest. I slept a lot. I also got my medications reevaluated and got to connect with other people with similar struggles.

It's not a great place to be, but it can be the safest place to be.
NefariousAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 10-31-2018, 10:43 PM   #4
piggy momma

piggy momma has no updates.

13 hugs
given

I was inpatient in April for a week. It was my first time and I hope to God my last.

For the first two days I was in a literal cell - it was all concrete with a mattress on the floor. They brought me food and that was it. No doctors saw me, no nurses, nothing. I was basically left there to rot.

Then I got transferred to a short term psych unit at another hospital. I saw my psychiatrist twice I think for about 15 minutes each time over five days. Other than that there was nothing - no groups, no counselling, no therapy, nothing. I basically slept the whole time.

When I was there they took me off all my meds. Said I don’t need them

When I was discharged they did not give me any resources - said I was not mentally ill enough. My therapist almost dropped me because of the attempt and I would have literally been high and dry.

I suppose if I couldn’t keep myself safe I would go back because that was all it was good for. But I certainly didn’t “grow” or benefit from my time there.
piggy momma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 02:46 AM   #5
Travelinglady
Legendary Wise Elder

Travelinglady is glad she sees her knee surgeon tomorrow.

8 yr Member
15.6k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

It gave a chance for the doctors to change my meds and see how I was doing. Also, I enjoyed the craft groups, but I found most of the other things to be a waste of time. Also, the food was good and balanced.
Old 11-08-2018, 12:26 AM   #6
kecanoe
Magnate
kecanoe has no updates.

10 yr Member
6,989 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I got formally tested and diagnosed as DID. I learned about trauma responses-I was in a specialized trauma treatment IP. I met some others with DID, and that was helpful because it is so rare. I was safe. The folks there were nice, I think they tried to be helpful. But for me, a week or so is not enough to really make a difference. I do now know that I have a safe place to go to if I am suicidal and I want to be safe.
kecanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:22 AM   #7
*Laurie*
Account Suspended
*Laurie* has no updates.

3 yr Member
5,400 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

No help. Nothing. Um, unless torture can be referred to as "help". Absolutely nothing. I will never, never, never, under any circumstances return to a psych IP situation. Never.
*Laurie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 11-11-2018, 10:34 PM   #8
tealBumblebee
Magnate

tealBumblebee is doing well...

5 yr Member
3,935 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

It gave me a chance to disconnect from the real world (most helpful - ignoring my family calls). There was some "attempt" of psychotherapy but it was by students and it switched daily. Groups were good because they were a nice change in pace, but they weren't super beneficial on a psychological level. Being able to be honest about my self harm thoughts was really helpful, even though it meant arguing with the psychiatrist (think of it as a love/hate thing). So, in the end, it wasn't horrible, but its more meant for stability, in my opinion, than growth unless you go to a facility tailored to that.