Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > >

advertisement

Old 05-12-2018, 11:39 AM   #11
Nammu
Crone

Nammu has no updates.

Location: Some where between my inner mind and the solar system.
8 yr Member
23.8k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: What do you think would IMPROVE psych hospitals?

Having a whole lot more psych hospital s so there is competition. As it is now there's not nearly enough beds so no matter how bad a hospital is it will get filled cause there's no choice.

Nammu is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:

advertisement
Old 05-14-2018, 12:19 AM   #12
yagr
Poohbah
yagr has no updates.

2 yr Member
1,074 hugs
given

Rotate staff from patient centered to administrative and back again regularly.

I am a firm believer that power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. In prisons, they are finally not able to ignore it any longer, guards who work in special management units are beginning to be rotated out every two years because there is simply too much data supporting the fact that the longer they are there, the more they dehumanize the inmates and become sadistic. Similar studies show the same situation with police officers. But it doesn't stop there.

Even in the helping professions - places like nursing homes and daycare centers, studies have shown that the higher the average number of employment years of staff, the more complaints both civil and criminal are brought to bear on the company. No one, or at least very, very few people, go to work at either of these places so they can be abusive.

But all of these jobs require people to be in charge of people - and people who tend to be needier than the average person. Caretaker burnout is real. Unless the people working there can disconnect from that stress and still support themselves and their families, that burnout is going to be reflected in their behavior.
Old 08-01-2018, 06:54 PM   #13
Mountaindewed
Grand Magnate

Mountaindewed I like eggs.

My Mood: What do you think would IMPROVE psych hospitals?

2 yr Member
41 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Iíd relax greatly if this one hospital closed. I think I saw the staff that hit me. At my job. The second I saw her it registered. My first and only thought at the time was ďugh.Ē Again I havenít been there in 11 years. It may or may not have been her. But it did look an awful lot like her.

That was a childrenís psych hospital until a few years ago. It terrifies me. I donít think Iíll ever need inpatient again, since itís been so long. But if you are sent involuntarily can you at least choose the hospital you want to go to?

I know my mom would never send me back there. But I donít know about the counselor. Do they listen when you tell them you were abused by both the staff and the kids? I mean, those staff regularly told the kids to go after me. I was attacked 4 times by the patients and hit once by the staff.
Mountaindewed is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 08-26-2018, 02:18 PM   #14
LiteraryLark
Child of the Universe

LiteraryLark is now a college student!

8 yr Member
828 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Personally, my experience would have been better if women had women staff and men had men staff permitted in bedrooms.

~Timothy 2:15
LiteraryLark is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 08-30-2018, 09:41 PM   #15
kecanoe
Magnate
kecanoe has no updates.

10 yr Member
6,962 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaindewed View Post
Iíd relax greatly if this one hospital closed. I think I saw the staff that hit me. At my job. The second I saw her it registered. My first and only thought at the time was ďugh.Ē Again I havenít been there in 11 years. It may or may not have been her. But it did look an awful lot like her.

That was a childrenís psych hospital until a few years ago. It terrifies me. I donít think Iíll ever need inpatient again, since itís been so long. But if you are sent involuntarily can you at least choose the hospital you want to go to?

I know my mom would never send me back there. But I donít know about the counselor. Do they listen when you tell them you were abused by both the staff and the kids? I mean, those staff regularly told the kids to go after me. I was attacked 4 times by the patients and hit once by the staff.

If sent involuntarily, you will likely go to the place that has the first open bed. If you want to choose, best to go voluntarily.
kecanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 10-04-2018, 10:47 PM   #16
BeesWaxCrayon

BeesWaxCrayon has no updates.

15 hugs
given

I think all workers should have mandatory inpatient one week stay- see what itís like. Then maybe things would change. When they go back to being a holes they get to go in for two weeks.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:11 PM   #17
Katieissweet

Katieissweet has no updates.

3 yr Member
48 hugs
given

There should be long term wards,I do much better in hospital,a lot better and donít feel safe outside.I am happy with my hospital experiences but I live in Australia where itís free and I usually stay months.I wish everyday there were cheaper to run long term wards like the old asylums.A lot of schiz donít last on the outside and end up homeless etc.Id only have more funding for art therapy and art supplies,we had so little funding for that we had to reuse already painted on canvases.