Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Health & Other Support > Health Support

advertisement
Unread 05-15-2017, 10:22 PM   #1

cielpur A day without sunshine, is like, you know...night.- Steve Martin

3 yr Member
84 hugs
given
Default Digestive disorder is scary because...

So, I recently had to take an osmotic laxative for the first time in my life, to clear my gastrointestinal tract due to a build up. What caused it was a 14-day antibiotic prescription I was on for a serious kidney infection. It was a scary 15 hours since it was my first time dealing with a laxative this strong. The osmotic laxative works by drawing water into the intestinal tract, which means, it will suck moisture from everywhere. I was coughing due to how dry my throat became in a matter of hours, my eyes were dry, my face was red and hot, and I was sweating profusely. Plus, the bloating, gas and nausea. Not exactly mild side effects.

I've also had digestive problems my whole life due to a slow thyroid disorder as well.

Digestive disorders are scary because if your gut is clogged, that means your body can't function properly, and if not treated, can actually develop into serious problems.

What I don't like, is how doctors just ignore the nutrition side of healing digestive diseases, and instead over-prescribe stool softeners and laxatives and fiber supplements, which act like band-aids to a serious problem.

Plus, if you overuse those tools to help you digest food and pass it, you're not really fixing the problem but forcing your body to become dependent/addicted to the point where that just causes you more healthy problems.

The stronger laxatives can cause heart attacks, strokes, kidney disease and even gall bladder disease. Yikes.

I just feel so overwhelmed since this episode happened. I saw an x-ray of my digestive tract all backed up on one side, full of gas/air on the other side, and was told this osmostic laxative (which is pretty strong and caused me to lose 5 pounds of water weight afterward) was my only hope of clearing out all the "back up." Ok, it worked somewhat but did it solve my problem of constipation? Nope.

I am going to try to fix it with nutrition instead of taking all those harmful products that can't be taken long-term anyway, but I'm still frustrated that I'm in this situation. People who don't have to deal with digestive problems, have no idea just how stressful a dilemma that it is.

Can anyone relate to what I'm going through? Thanks for reading.
cielpur is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:

advertisement
Unread 05-17-2017, 11:14 PM   #2
htoun has no updates.

33 hugs
given
Default Re: Digestive disorder is scary because...

I have digestive issues caused by thyroid for added fun my digestive track is also spastic though I haven't had a really bad attack since I was a teenager. Recently I went to a physiotherapist who had me upping my water reducing my caffeine and adding fibre to my diet. She also has me doing the "I Love You" rub. You use your fingers and rub from hip bone to ribs 10 times (the I) then hip bone to ribs and across the top 10 times (the L) then finally hip bone to ribs across top and down to other hip bone 10 times (the U). It's supposed to help keep your digestive track moving more smoothly. Anyway it seems to be helping.

I know what you mean about doctors too not very helpful sometimes. They really don't seem to want to know the cause want to cover the symptoms. I have pinched nerves and they just want to give me pain pills most of which I can't take. I don't react well to a ton of drugs if it says may cause drowsiness I will go to sleep for 10-20 hours. Hence the reason I found a physiotherapist to help with in-pinching them. The worst part is I have trying to get help for this for years. Be persistent it does pay off eventually

Hope that helps and you are able to find some help too
htoun is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 05-18-2017, 04:38 PM   #3
Legendary Wise Elder

Travelinglady is having another house inspected.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
13.8k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I've had all sorts of digestive issues over the years. I hate those strong products, too. I take a weaker OTC laxative sometimes, eat fiber pills, try to take in fiber with food, etc.

I hope you can get cleared out soon.
Unread 05-19-2017, 10:30 PM   #4

3 yr Member
84 hugs
given

Thanks gals. I'm going to add that tummy massage pattern to my arsenal of tools. I have a doctor's appointment with my primary doc next week, and I plan to give her a piece of my mind (but not in the car-rage kind of way, but rather in a stern way...before I switch to another doctor).

I bought one of those potty stools. When I lived in China, my digestive problems became non-existent due to my amount of physical activity, the great food (lots of natural fiber), the teas, (wow, so good), mediation, and the fact that instead of a toilet in my apartment, I had a washing machine a bucket and mop, and a hole in the ground with foot holds to squat. But squatting is how we're supposed to "go." These Western toilets are no good for us digestivally challenged. My damn thyroid quit on me more than 20 years ago and no matter what my endo doc does to adjust my med levels, my thyroid's as sluggish as a 20-something after a night of drinking hard.
Unread 05-19-2017, 11:13 PM   #5
htoun has no updates.

33 hugs
given

Have you been checked for Hashimotos? One of the joys of hashimotos is that it is very hard to get a perfect dose.
Unread 05-20-2017, 12:02 AM   #6

3 yr Member
84 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by htoun View Post
Have you been checked for Hashimotos? One of the joys of hashimotos is that it is very hard to get a perfect dose.
He won't test me for Hashimotos. He is adamant that I don't have it; despite the fact that I gained weight I can't rid myself off; as I went from a physically fit gal to a very tired gal.
Unread 05-20-2017, 06:07 PM   #7
Emily Fox Seaton has no updates.

44 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by cielpur View Post
He won't test me for Hashimotos. He is adamant that I don't have it; despite the fact that I gained weight I can't rid myself off; as I went from a physically fit gal to a very tired gal.
My doctor wouldn't run the thyroid tests I wanted. I just ordered them on my own. I believe all 50 states allow you do this now.

I used "healthonelabs". You order what you want, they send you an invoice and you select a lab (usually part of some other medical group) and they e-mail you the results. It cost me $180 dollars but, if I had 4 visits with the doctor it would have been that much. This way I was able to get an interpret my own tests and, if I had a problem ( I didn't ) I could confront a doctor with the results.

fyi
Emily Fox Seaton is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 05-20-2017, 08:38 PM   #8

3 yr Member
84 hugs
given

I will totally look into that when I have the money. Thanks for that info! I think Western doctors don't really care about patients' health anymore. It's scary just how much we have to advocate for ourselves with doctors; almost force them to help us, unless we can find a doctor who is on our side.
Unread 05-22-2017, 10:54 AM   #9
htoun has no updates.

33 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by cielpur View Post
Sounds like my old doctor. My new doctor hasn't tested for it either but said given my history it is. See if your doctor will test for irons and vitamins like B. If you are low in iron be very careful what you take as that can really muck up your digestive track. Worse than it is. You don't really need the diagnosis as long as you watch your blood. Also start doing something physical even yoga will help. It's hard to force yourself to do it at first but it gets better. When I realize that the only difference between mine and my cousin was she worked out her hashimotos is balanced. I've had a few set backs for pinched nerves and a cancer scare but I feel better when I add a work out to my day
Unread 05-22-2017, 11:07 AM   #10

3 yr Member
84 hugs
given

Thanks htoun for those great suggestions. Will definitely follow up on that.