Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Health & Other Support > Health Support

Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 11-17-2009, 12:49 AM   #1
Grand Member
Amanda_1981's Avatar
Amanda_1981 has no updates.
Member Since: Sep 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 529
My Mood:

5 yr Member
Default question about chest pain (from continuous cracking of the bones in it)

I never intentionally mean to do it, but everytime I stretch my arms back, my chest bone 'pops'. I used to joke about it with my friends and say "oh I just cracked my chest again', but now the bones in my chest are very tender all the time from constantly having cracked it for years. It hurts quite a bit when I stretch now and every time I do, it still 'pops'. It feels like the bone is popping in and out of it's... socket? Is there such a thing in the chest?

Should I be concerned about this? It feels like my bones are bruised and they are really tender to the touch in my chest. And now when my chest pops, it often hurts (It didn't used to hurt). I'm worried one day the bone will just break. Could that happen? Is there anyway to stop it.. It just always pops when I stretch and tilt my body back.

Edited to say I forgot to mention, the reason I think it's hurting is because it really feels like it needs to do one huge pop to relieve the tension in my chest. I think if I can get one huge pop from my chest, it would feel so much better, but it only slightly cracks now and won't do another big pop for me. I don't know but it just doesn't seem normal to have this?

Also.. I was told a few years ago from my doctor that I might have an extra rib because I have thorasic outlet syndrome.. do you think that could have any correlation with the having to pop/crack my chest all the time and having it sore from that?

Last edited by Amanda_1981; 11-17-2009 at 01:31 AM.
Amanda_1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-17-2009, 08:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member
serafim_etal's Avatar
serafim_etal has no updates.
Member Since: Oct 2005
Location: In my own little world, but it's ok, they know me here.
Posts: 340
My Mood:

10 yr Member
Default Re: question about chest pain (from continuous cracking of the bones in it)

My chest also pops. I sometimes get pain in my chest that feels very much like you are describing...stretching pops it and the pain goes away. There have been a few times when it was several days before the *pop* happened...the pain was absolutely horrible then. It IS possible for ribs to become displaced slightly, it is also possible for then to become dislocated. n either case, the popping sound would be the rib moving back into place.

I would suggest finding a D.O. (osteopathic doctor...has all the same privileges as an M.D. in primary care), or a massage therapist that is certified in osteopathic manipulation. Either one would be able to gently realign the ribs (if that is indeed your problem), and teach you ways to minimize and prevent the problem.
~Just another one of many~
serafim_etal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2009, 10:14 PM   #3
Grand Magnate
nightbird's Avatar
nightbird has no updates.
Member Since: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,178
8 yr Member
53 hugs
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: question about chest pain (from continuous cracking of the bones in it)

yup, see a Dr. so that you can gain new perspective on this, and if any changes need to be made, you will have an ally.

Peace & wellness,
I am larger and better than I thought.
I did not know I held so much goodness.
- Walt Whitman
nightbird is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® — Copyright © 2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.



The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice,
diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider.
Always consult your doctor or mental health professional before trying anything you read here.


HomeAbout UsContact UsPrivacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer
Forums HomeCommunity GuidelinesHelp

Helplines and Lifelines