Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Treatments and Self-Care Strategies > Habit Change

advertisement

Old 01-28-2018, 11:01 PM   #1

opaquemind0 is trying...

My Mood:

8 yr Member
47 hugs
given
Default Letting go of social media for good

Hello,

I am looking to get rid of my social media accounts for good. As far as I know, all are scheduled to be deleted if not deleted already.

For me, it's easy to hop right back on and create a new profile. I've had this issue on-and-off for almost 4 years now.

The urge to see how people are doing and to look up former partners and acquaintances are just so tough to push away.

I personally believe that being on social media is incredibly harmful for me and the inner peace and calmness I want to have.

However, this issue of mine is completely consistent and troublesome for me. I think I'm trying to compare myself to other people and perhaps beat myself up for not being a good enough partner and friend to others. (I don't have close friends, and I'm single, just to be clear.)

I'm grateful to open up about this issue here. As I'm writing this, I'm noticing issues that involve more than social media, but I just wanted to write this out to see if anyone can relate or can help in anyway. I hope to let my T know how I feel about this topic as well.

I appreciate your time. Thank you.

advertisement
Old 01-29-2018, 02:37 PM   #2
Apparition

Skeezyks has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
9,677 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile Re: Letting go of social media for good

Well...I don't know as I can really be of any help with regard to this. But I can certainly relate. I've deleted all of my internet accounts previously... including PsychCentral! Most of what I deleted though were not social media accounts. (I've never been on Facebook or Twitter or anything such as that.) A while after I did it, though, I began to miss being on line. And, when I decided to return, I decided PsychCentral was where I wanted to be. I also have a YouTube channel. But I only use it as a place to access music videos I enjoy listening to... primarily while I'm replying to posts here on PC.

I do still go through periods where I just begin to feel like I wish I could just be rid of the whole internet thing. But then I find myself feeling the same way about everything in my life. For me it is a kind of "social suicide", so to speak. I am married. So I'm not completely alone. But beyond that I am pretty-much completely solitary... by choice... no acquaintances, no friends, & no extended family. I just prefer to keep to myself. One thing I don't have is the urge to look up, or be found by, anyone from my past. Anyway... I hope that, in deleting all of your social media accounts you find the inner peace you seek.
"Confess your hidden faults. Approach what you find repulsive. Help those you think you cannot help. Anything you are attached to, let it go. Go to places that scare you." (Advice, from her teacher, to the Tibetan yogini, Machig Labdrön)

"In other traditions demons are expelled externally. But in my tradition demons are accepted with compassion." Machig Labdrön, Tibet, 11th Century
Skeezyks is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 01-29-2018, 02:38 PM   #3
ArchieAus has no updates.

Default Re: Letting go of social media for good

Yes I think it could be detrimental , creating a fixation which is less than healthy for susceptible people . I'm fortunate in a way growing up in a pre internet world , so I have something to gauge it against . Life did exist before the information overload of the internet . I'm sure you could say the same for the radio in the 1930's and TV in the 60's , but the internet and social media are a much more powerful force . I'm on a mission of self improvement and the internet is on that list eventually . I gave up social media a few years back and feel better for it . Eventually it will be cut back to a non portable computer which if I need to use it will be switched on , used and then switched off . Each to their own , but that's my plan .
ArchieAus is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 01-29-2018, 03:46 PM   #4
existing but not living
Community Liaison
shattered sanity has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
1,482 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I deleted my facebook acount years ago.

it was easy for me to do- partly because I didn't really have many people on my page, and partly because of the comments I got in groups (some were really hurtful)

and I guess, partly too, because it was depressing me.

honestly?

sometimes I wish I didn't delete my account (because they have good groups on their for mental illness), but when I get those thoughts about making another profile, I think... really?. do I really want to go back their?. it made me feel so bad- do I want that all over again?

now I have places like this to take my mind off it
shattered sanity is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 01-30-2018, 01:12 PM   #5
Elder

amandalouise Internet still on the iffy side

8 yr Member
572 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shattered sanity View Post
I deleted my facebook acount years ago.

it was easy for me to do- partly because I didn't really have many people on my page, and partly because of the comments I got in groups (some were really hurtful)

and I guess, partly too, because it was depressing me.

honestly?

sometimes I wish I didn't delete my account (because they have good groups on their for mental illness), but when I get those thoughts about making another profile, I think... really?. do I really want to go back their?. it made me feel so bad- do I want that all over again?

now I have places like this to take my mind off it
Just a comment in regards to making a new facebook account... you wont have to. your account stays they just close it when you ask for it to be deleted most times just logging in will reactivate it. found this out myself when i deleted then a couple years later just to see what would happen I logged in. it just asked me to confirm my email or phone number or other security question.

you can find out if they have fully and completely deleted your account by logging in, or messaging them in their help me register question area.
amandalouise is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 01-31-2018, 01:04 AM   #6
Account Suspended
LadyShadow Went to the other side and beyond, and there is no turning back from here

My Mood:

5 yr Member
8,179 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I have a love/hate relationship with social media. I had abandoned Facebook a long time ago, and recently went back and its just whatever now. I just scroll and "like" or now they have "heart" but its not too bad because I do get a laugh here and there, and its kind of cool to still be in contact with all those people.

I totally understand your reasons for leaving though. I used to do the same exact things, and it would be hurtful to me, and of course depress me. But I am in a better place so three years later, I reactivated my account and its not so bad anymore.

It may take time, but who knows? Maybe you will be able to move past the bad stuff about social media. But if not, just think you're not really losing much, just something that hurt you, and you don't really need it anyway. That's how I had felt for a long time.
LadyShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 01-31-2018, 06:02 AM   #7
ArchieAus has no updates.

There's a book ..called ? , The Last Days of Reality . Haven't read it but I was listening to an interview by the author . He's no fool , a silicone valley guy that worked on creating the internet . He was talking about news feeeds on FB and other sites and how it collects what you like or spend time on and then tailors what it shows you on your previous preferences .... I think everyone has searched how to hit a draw like Jason Day and then suddenly realised that they now get pop up adds selling golf clubs ... no? , ok maybe just me then ..the golf I mean not the tracking of what you look at on the net .
Cut to the chase ... he had some fairly scary things to say about the future of social media and the influence it will/could have . Yes I'm talking about feeds and not peer to peer contact ... but anyway , I would prefer in the end to go back to books for my entertainment ....always finish with a joke Arch ... o.k. ... Jennifer Aniston was asked if there could be a reboot of the hit comedy "Friends" ....she said - how could there be ? , today it would be six people sitting in a coffee shop ...all staring at their phones not talking 😝
ArchieAus is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 01-31-2018, 06:16 AM   #8
Anonymous87914
Anonymous87914 has no updates. Edit

I deleted my Twitter account last Fall because I found myself getting into arguments over politics. I reinstated my account about 3 weeks ago. None of the accounts that I used to follow are listed, so I was starting over anew. No more politics!
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 01-31-2018, 08:49 AM   #9

sans has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
514 hugs
given

I used to go back and forth on Facebook. Deactivate and then start feeling like I’m missing out, so I’d go back. I feel like I waste a lot of time on social media sites. I’m always looking up people from my past, comparing my life to their ‘wonderful and exciting’ life. Lol I think that was a mistake on my part. Knowing that I have the tendency to obsess over love lost, and past experiences, I permanently deleted my account on fb, and feel happier about myself for that.

Sans
sans is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 02-05-2018, 12:06 AM   #10

opaquemind0 is trying...

My Mood:

8 yr Member
47 hugs
given

Hello all,

Wow! I didn't expect an outpouring of responses and support from so many. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
A few of my main takeaways from responses:

1) Wow (again!), social media seems to be big business! Seems to be the Starbucks of the Internet. I've never been one to indulge highly in trends, including technology and even Starbucks. Still, I may be feeling that colloquial term "FOMO"--fear of missing out!

2) One of my main reasons for leaving Facebook specifically was unfortunately a very sad one, one that I will not really talk about due to personal reasons. Reading everyone's comments was very helpful and gently reminded me of a very important reason why I ultimately wish to stay away from Facebook.

3) I think I would like to babble more about this issue with my T. I think I am trying my best to live my best life, but I'm quite confused regarding social media. I'm a young adult, and I feel that many people around my age enjoy social media or find value in it. Personally, I don't find good values from social media. However, I wish I could just follow a trend for once without having to have racing analytical thoughts on how I ultimately won't find value in social media.

I thank you all dearly for your contributions to this thread.