Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Treatments and Self-Care Strategies > Habit Change

advertisement

Old 02-10-2018, 08:31 AM   #11

motogypsy has no updates.

Default Re: Letting go of social media for good

I think I may have a similar issue as you, I want to delete social media because I blow through time just scrolling through them, mostly out of boredom, but I always end up seeing people who's lives are better because ______, and Ive compared myself to other people in looks/fitness/etc and end up getting depressed again. I have the apps on my phone so everything is easy access. I want to spend more time OUT in the world, with less time wasted on Instagram/Facebook/etc.

I hope you figure out what you need and what's gonna work for you.
motogypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:

advertisement
Old 02-11-2018, 08:24 PM   #12

opaquemind0 is trying...

My Mood:

8 yr Member
52 hugs
given

Yes, motogypsy, I can certainly relate! I extend the same wishes to you!
Hugs from:
Old 02-12-2018, 06:32 AM   #13
ArchieAus has no updates.

Most people don't have the lives they portray on social media . It's a carefully edited version to give the illusion their life is perfect . its fake and shallow from my memory of it ...success and failure measured on how many likes you achieve .
ArchieAus is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-12-2018, 08:47 PM   #14

twistypringle98 Faux Suede Drifter Vigiliante

My Mood:

242 hugs
given

I deleted mine in high school and felt like my life was much better without one. I took one back up after I couldn't refuse when we were all gathered on my grandmother's deathbed. There are benefits to the only things that I have (Facebook and PsychCentral), but I don't know if I want Facebook anymore. PsychCentral is another way for me to maybe have a support system if I stay and post more.

I want to get rid of my FB because really I only have about 35 friends and most are family. They aren't supportive of anything that I would like to share, and I can see the dangers my sister puts herself in all the time. She shares too much with her 1100 friends and doesn't really have a filter. People are fake all the time on social media and praise it like it's God's gift to man. If my family were more empathetic with me, I might reconsider my views of it. I just feel obligated to have one since it connects me with family. Plus I don't have a single friend really. The ones that aren't family are just old school friends. I only look at it for news really.

I think there are more pros than cons to deleting my FB account really and am looking forward to the day where I actually do it.
twistypringle98 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-12-2018, 09:31 PM   #15
Anonymous87914
Anonymous87914 has no updates. Edit

For the most part, people only share the good stuff that is going on in their lives on Facebook. You might see pics of your friends on a vacation, but their whole life isn't a vacation. Who want's to show the public the bad stuff in their lives?
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 02-13-2018, 01:05 AM   #16
Account Suspended
LadyShadow Went to the other side and beyond, and there is no turning back from here

My Mood:

5 yr Member
8,179 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForWhatItsWorth2U View Post
For the most part, people only share the good stuff that is going on in their lives on Facebook. You might see pics of your friends on a vacation, but their whole life isn't a vacation. Who want's to show the public the bad stuff in their lives?
This is completely true. One of the things I always knew, but never really ACCEPTED was that people always show their absolute BEST on Facebook, making their lives seems so glamourous. All the ugliness in their lives is held back behind a curtain we never see.

Facebook is just a big "rose colored lens" view of reality.
LadyShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-13-2018, 09:54 PM   #17
Grand Magnate

Guiness187055 is taking thorazine

My Mood:

458 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Best thing I ever did was delete my facebook account. It's been over a year now.
Rx Xanax 1mg prn
Rx Lamictal 200mg
Rx Lithium 900mg
RxThorazine 200mg

What have I become
My sweetest friend
Everyone I know
Goes away in the end
And you could have it all
My empire of dirt
I will let you down
I will make you hurt
Guiness187055 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-20-2018, 02:13 PM   #18
ReadToChange has no updates.

Social Media = Big Distration
ReadToChange is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-26-2018, 03:58 PM   #19
gebirgsbaerbel has no updates.

I also know the problem of being glued to social media, although for me it mainly is youtube. When I start, I usually have the problem, that I simply cannot stop. After watching videos for over one hour, I am usually annoyed at myself and really disappointed that I am not stronger in resisting.

So what I started doing instead of removing accounts, as it is too easy to recreate them, block annoying pages for most of the time every day.

For example with Cold Turkey, WasteNoTime or Leechblock, you can block specific websites. You can even specify a schedule or a maximum amount of time. For example, I block youtube, facebook, and twitter every day from 8am to 8pm. This way I can make sure, that I will be able to focus, but I still do not have to stay away from social media altogether.

Maybe something similar could work for you?
gebirgsbaerbel is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 04-04-2018, 06:54 AM   #20
Veteran Member
Buffy01 has no updates.

My Mood:

1,351 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaquemind0 View Post
Hello,

I am looking to get rid of my social media accounts for good. As far as I know, all are scheduled to be deleted if not deleted already.

For me, it's easy to hop right back on and create a new profile. I've had this issue on-and-off for almost 4 years now.

The urge to see how people are doing and to look up former partners and acquaintances are just so tough to push away.

I personally believe that being on social media is incredibly harmful for me and the inner peace and calmness I want to have.

However, this issue of mine is completely consistent and troublesome for me. I think I'm trying to compare myself to other people and perhaps beat myself up for not being a good enough partner and friend to others. (I don't have close friends, and I'm single, just to be clear.)

I'm grateful to open up about this issue here. As I'm writing this, I'm noticing issues that involve more than social media, but I just wanted to write this out to see if anyone can relate or can help in anyway. I hope to let my T know how I feel about this topic as well.

I appreciate your time. Thank you.
Sometime I wonder if social media had ruin my life because I became a victim of online bullying from those who I had tried to help out, post an opinion on a video, from friends who I thought were my friends online, in old support group I join so long ago and family member.
Buffy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from: