Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Treatments and Self-Care Strategies > Habit Change

advertisement
Unread 08-07-2017, 03:07 PM   #1
Grand Poohbah
boogiesmash has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
329 hugs
given
Default Bed

I have a habit I would love to change. Anytime I get home I go to bed. Either sleep or view the forum or other website.
Klonopin 1mg.

Bipolar 1
Social anxiety disorder
Time to self care and self esteem journal
boogiesmash is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Unread 08-10-2017, 03:36 PM   #2
Reclusive Old Troll

Skeezyks has no updates.

My Mood:

7,773 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile Re: Bed

Well... my personal opinion on this would be that you have to find something to do you like better than going to bed or being on line. At least for me, if I tried to do what you're trying to do without finding something else I liked better, it would never work.

I recently fired up my old yoga practice again. Part of the reason for doing so was because, since I'm retired & don't go out much, I have time on my hands. I was spending too much of it on the internet. My practice has quickly become an integral part of my daily routine. The keys to this for me, though, are first that I play some music I really enjoy listening to plus I'm alone... which is also my preference. Oh... & after I finish my practice (at which I typically spend a couple of hours) I also reward myself with a snack!
"Oh, do not say / My spirit is not worn-- / As curtains furl / In the west wind, / I am more withered / Than the chrysanthemums' / Yellow flowers. (From a poem by the poetess Li Ching-Jau, China, Southern Sung period, c. 1125 A.D.)
Skeezyks is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 08-29-2017, 07:33 PM   #3
ravencrow has no updates.

My Mood:

80 hugs
given
Default Re: Bed

This sounds like me oversleep -are you on meds or seeing a therapist, i oversleep to
Forget my problems or when I'm bored depressed which is most days
I'm getting therapy now. It's helped a bit,I have a long way to go * big hugs
ravencrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Unread 09-02-2017, 12:11 AM   #4
Grand Poohbah
boogiesmash has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
329 hugs
given

I am. I sleep or stay in bed to avoid dealing with the day.
Klonopin 1mg.

Bipolar 1
Social anxiety disorder
Time to self care and self esteem journal
boogiesmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Unread 09-07-2017, 10:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

HD7970GHZ Cute Teddy Bears

My Mood:

3 yr Member
1,192 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Hi Boogiesmash,

Sorry you are stuck in bed... It is a horrible feeling!

I am dealing with the same problem. Have been for years.. Life is very intolerable for me and filled with triggers and reminders of past traumas. I am controlled by fear. My apartment is a safe place for me, especially my bed. It provides an escape from the outer world and is filled with comfort, nurture and protection that I lack outside and in the real world. I have teddy bears and blankets that I snuggle with, it is a nice feeling and very soothing. I am trying to break this habit one small step at a time and it is proving to be VERY difficult! I am trying to find a way to bring these small comforts with me outside of bed so that I don't feel the need to crawl back into bed whenever life gets tough... Like a teddy bear charm or a soft piece of cloth in my pocket.

My question to you is, what does bed represent for you? If you can find out what that is, perhaps you can take a small piece of that outside of bed with you.

Thanks,
HD7970ghz
"don't put all your eggs - in one basket"
"promote pleasure - prevent pain"
"with change - comes loss"
HD7970GHZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2017, 01:22 AM   #6

FallDuskTrain has no updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD7970GHZ View Post
Hi Boogiesmash,

Sorry you are stuck in bed... It is a horrible feeling!

I am dealing with the same problem. Have been for years.. Life is very intolerable for me and filled with triggers and reminders of past traumas. I am controlled by fear. My apartment is a safe place for me, especially my bed. It provides an escape from the outer world and is filled with comfort, nurture and protection that I lack outside and in the real world. I have teddy bears and blankets that I snuggle with, it is a nice feeling and very soothing. I am trying to break this habit one small step at a time and it is proving to be VERY difficult! I am trying to find a way to bring these small comforts with me outside of bed so that I don't feel the need to crawl back into bed whenever life gets tough... Like a teddy bear charm or a soft piece of cloth in my pocket.

My question to you is, what does bed represent for you? If you can find out what that is, perhaps you can take a small piece of that outside of bed with you.

Thanks,
HD7970ghz

Thank you for explaining it so well. I have been hiding in my house for over a decade and recently it has gotten more seriously dangerous.
If I dont get help soon, I lose risking my job and possibly be on the street.
There is nothing in the world that gives me the same sense of safety as my bed does.
FallDuskTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2017, 12:11 PM   #7
Poohbah

Shazerac is attempting to contact the mother ship.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
420 hugs
given

God I love my bed! You hear you. Maybe you could try baby steps and do one thing before you get in bed. Tidy up, check your fridge to see if you need to restock. Throw in a load of laundry, just anything to be break the cycle of heading straight to bed.

Eat a live frog for breakfast every morning and nothing worse can happen to you that day!

"Ask yourself whether the dream of heaven and greatness should be left waiting for us in our graves - or whether it should be ours here and now and on this earth. Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Bipolar type 2 rapid cycling DX 2013
Seroquel 100 > 75mg as of 9/1/17
Celexa 40mg > 30 mg as of 9/1/17 > 20mg 9/19/17
Xanax .5 mg prn
Modafanil 200mg > 100mg as of 9/1/17

Shazerac is offline   Reply With Quote