Awesoment

seesaw anxious

My Mood:

3 yr Member
299 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Unhappy Can't get past the loss

I'm going to finally say this aloud to you all, and please don't laugh or make light of the grief I have gone through and still go through about this, but I have to share it with someone because holding it inside is killing me. And I'm just too afraid to share it with anyone in person.

When I ended up having to be hospitalized back in 2014 and had to stop working, went on disability, etc. I eventually decided to move back closer to my family. Part of that capitulation was that I had to rehome my Great Dane, Blue. I found him a lovely family with some children for him to protect that he bonded with instantly. I have checked up on him a few times in the first year but now I leave them be. Although I do want to see him and now how he's doing. But he's their dog now. Sometimes I wish they would call and say they need me to take him back, but that won't happen.

So I feel this grief and loss already about having to part with him. He was a trained service dog (he and my other SD had different roles) and he was so unique and wonderful, he was my baby. And then it wasn't even that he was dead. He was in the world, being happy and cared for without me. I can barely think about it, to this day, that he is happy somewhere, being loved, and not by me.

The other part, that makes my brain entirely shut down...and I mean, I actually was suicidal over this and had to be hospitalized for the depression and grief...is that I do believe that when we die, we meet all our pets who left this earth before us and get to see them and be with them again. But Blue isn't mine anymore. He belongs to this other family and these girls. When he dies, he will wait for them at the Rainbow Bridge, not me. Even now, I'm starting to sob thinking about it. Every time I even remotely think about this idea I start to cry. I try to not think about it, but it's holding me back to not be able to accept he's gone, and I won't see him again even when I cross over.

It's so hard for me because my father murdered my dogs growing up and wouldn't let me be there to help them cross over. And I had to rehome Blue because of him.

I just think about when I die, and when I cross through the clearing and come to the bridge and cross over, all the friends I will see who have been waiting for me, and he won't be there...I just can't take it. Every time I think about, I start to have suicidal ideations (but don't worry, I'm safe and okay).

This affects me so much, if it catches me off guard or the topic comes up that's even remotely close, I start to lose it and have to excuse myself.

My dogs are the only people in my life who have given me unconditional love and loved me above everyone else and are always there for me. I could never rely on any human being.

I was so worried when I became a foster that I wouldn't be able to handle it... but I actually was fine with it, until Fish came along and we bonded so closely, I had to keep him.

I don't know why I feel so differently about Blue than I do about any other dog I've owned. Even if Astro went to another family, I know he'd be there for me at the bridge. Same with Fish. But for some reason I know Blue won't be. And that just destroys me.

Please don't laugh or think I'm silly. This has caused me such a tremendous amount of pain, and I haven't shared it with anyone, not even a therapist, and it is one of the major factors of my depression right now.

Seesaw

Primary Dx: PTSD and Severe Chronic Treatment Resistant Major Depressive Disorder[/SIGPIC]
Secondary Dx: OCPD, Generalized Anxiety Disorder with mild Agoraphobia.

Meds I've tried: Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Wellbutrin, Risperidone, Abilify, Prazosin, Paxil, Trazadone, Tramadol, Topomax, Xanax, Propranolol, Valium, Visteril, Vraylar, Selinor, Clonopin, Ambien

Treatments I've done: CBT, DBT, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), Talk therapy, psychotherapy, exercise, diet, sleeping more, sleeping less...
seesaw is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Unread 06-19-2017, 10:26 AM   #2
Elder

*Laurie* is a NAMI group facilitator.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
3,150 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Can't get past the loss

Hi seesaw, I'm not going to laugh at all. I feel so, so bad for you. Losing a beloved pet is every bit as bad as losing a loved family member or friend. Sometimes worse.
Unread 06-19-2017, 10:48 AM   #3

NeedHaldol has no updates.

I have had one of my cats since he was born. He is my best friend, besides my wife. We started in a small bachelor pad one room condo with a pool table for him to knock the balls around and jump on a bunch of stuff. I loved him from the start.

That was about 12 years ago. I don't know how long he will last even though he is healthy. I don't know how I am going to deal when he is gone. He has been such a big part of my life.

I don't feel your pain right now, but I can anticipate it.

I'm so sorry.
NeedHaldol is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 06-19-2017, 12:57 PM   #4

Hairball I am here, aren't I?

My Mood:

2 yr Member
215 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Seesaw,
I don't understand what makes u think he isn't going to greet you, he knows you and will remember. Hold onto that!

All the cats that have died while I was at the rescue, I have no doubt they will know me when I get there. I didn't even own them, but I loved them and cared for them. Thats all they need to know.
Hairball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2017, 10:20 PM   #5
Awesoment

seesaw anxious

My Mood:

3 yr Member
299 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairball View Post
Seesaw,
I don't understand what makes u think he isn't going to greet you, he knows you and will remember. Hold onto that!

All the cats that have died while I was at the rescue, I have no doubt they will know me when I get there. I didn't even own them, but I loved them and cared for them. Thats all they need to know.
He won't greet me because he will have another family to greet. I won't matter to him anymore.

Seesaw

Primary Dx: PTSD and Severe Chronic Treatment Resistant Major Depressive Disorder[/SIGPIC]

Meds I've tried: Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Wellbutrin, Risperidone, Abilify, Prazosin, Paxil, Trazadone, Tramadol, Topomax, Xanax, Propranolol, Valium, Visteril, Vraylar, Selinor, Clonopin, Ambien

Treatments I've done: CBT, DBT, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), Talk therapy, psychotherapy, exercise, diet, sleeping more, sleeping less...
Hugs from:
Unread 06-21-2017, 12:56 PM   #6
Community Support Team
Community Liaison
Chat Leader

CANDC has no updates.

3 yr Member
881 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

seesaw, I am sorry for your loss. It was the nearest and dearest being to you at that time. It sounds like it was a lifeline for you. It certainly was a unique relationship.

I do not know for sure what greets us when we leave this world, but in my mind I hold that what love has brought together, nothing will break that bond. He may be in another family, but your relationship with that dog will not die in my opinion. There is infinite love in this universe. I certainly ponder if there is enough love so they could greet you as well. I would not doubt that is possible.

I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
Robert Frost
CANDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2017, 01:03 PM   #7
Crone

Nammu has no updates.

Location: Some where between my inner mind and the solar system.
5 yr Member
19.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I think dogs, cats, horses and other animals have the gift of being able to love more than one family at a time, that's a human thing, compartmentalism, pets have bigger hearts.

Nammu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2017, 01:04 PM   #8
Community Support Team

Lavender. has no updates.

5 yr Member
1,120 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

No one is going to laugh at you certainly not me. Losing a pet is like losing part of the family. My dog died 2 years a go and I still haven't got over it.
Lavender. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2017, 01:22 PM   #9
formerly hankster

unaluna wore shoes like this in the sixties. Now she's in her sixties :(

My Mood:

5 yr Member
26.3k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by seesaw View Post
He won't greet me because he will have another family to greet. I won't matter to him anymore.

Seesaw
My longterm t DID laugh at me when i told her a story about a particular animal. I know my current would not laugh at any of our stories, even though he might interpret them the same way, which is that we identify with these animals. As you say above, we wont be greeted, we dont matter. But to whom?

You stated a horrible fact about your father. Does that still bother you? Or how have you resolved it? I think the feelings are entangled.
unaluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2017, 02:15 PM   #10
Awesoment

seesaw anxious

My Mood:

3 yr Member
299 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

No, I haven't resolved the fact with my father. He was very abusive and that was part of his abuse.

"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from: