Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Treatments and Self-Care Strategies > Psychiatric Medications > Getting Off of Meds

advertisement

Old 12-02-2017, 12:25 AM   #1

nana_ has no updates.

My Mood:

8 hugs
given
Question Tips for getting off clonazepam?

So Iím currently on clonazepam (0.5 mg twice a day) and zoloft (150 mg) and have been since mid July. Before that I was on xanax for several months. Iím really wanting to get off the clonazepam, which my psychiatrist supports, but I was just curious about how other people dealt with weaning off and if anyone had tips on how to deal with anxiety in other ways once off? Iíve learned a lot of tools to help myself deal with anxiety and feel confident going off will be beneficial for me, but thereís still a little nagging voice in the back of my mind that once Iím off Iíll go back to how things used to be (daily panic attacks, not able to leave my house or speak to anyone, not sleeping, etc all which exacerbated my depression.) I feel ready, but this is a new situation, and like all new situations for me, I prefer going in not totally blind. So any advice, resources, tips, etc about getting off clonazepam would be greatly appreciated!

(I really hope this post isnít repetitive, I did search the forums for anything related to this, but didnít find anything. If I missed it pls let me know!)
nana_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:

advertisement
Old 12-04-2017, 05:35 PM   #2
Apparition

Skeezyks has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
9,225 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile Re: Tips for getting off clonazepam?

I'm sorry I can't really give you anything in the way of definitive advice on this. I took clonazepam for a short time when I was in the midst of a severe increase in the level of my tinnitus. I don't recall how long I was on it. But it wasn't a long time. I don't recall having any issues at all with going off of it. But I've also gone off various other psych med's in the past... sometimes with my doctor's support... sometimes not... I do seem to be a person who is able to go off of psych med's without experiencing any particularly difficult effects. I'm no longer on anything at all.

Anxiety is something I've struggled with... more so lately. The things that are helpful for me are keeping busy, maintaining a more-or-less daily yoga / exercise program, & taking our dog out on his daily walks. Also, when I listen to music, it's quiet & soothing. I don't watch the news on TV & I avoid watching violent TV programs, movies, etc. I also typically try to make sure I'm off of my laptop by 8 pm. I've read that the light from computers & smart phones tricks the brain into thinking it's daytime thus making it more difficult to get to sleep.

My personal opinion is we don't realize how much damage we in advertently do to ourselves when we expose ourselves to all of the noise & violence that constitutes what most of the media consists of nowadays. A while back I watched a series of programs on our local public television station titled "The Brain with David Eagleman". Eagleman is a neuroscientist. And in one of the programs in the series, Eagleman mentions that when we watch a violent scene on TV or in a movie, for example, while consciously we may understand it is fiction, non-conscious areas of our brains, to which we have no conscious access, react as if the violence were actually happening. To me, at least, the implications of that are clear. Anyway... these are my thoughts with regard to your post.
Old 12-07-2017, 05:46 AM   #3

nana_ has no updates.

My Mood:

8 hugs
given
Default Re: Tips for getting off clonazepam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezyks View Post
I'm sorry I can't really give you anything in the way of definitive advice on this. I took clonazepam for a short time when I was in the midst of a severe increase in the level of my tinnitus. I don't recall how long I was on it. But it wasn't a long time. I don't recall having any issues at all with going off of it. But I've also gone off various other psych med's in the past... sometimes with my doctor's support... sometimes not... I do seem to be a person who is able to go off of psych med's without experiencing any particularly difficult effects. I'm no longer on anything at all.

Anxiety is something I've struggled with... more so lately. The things that are helpful for me are keeping busy, maintaining a more-or-less daily yoga / exercise program, & taking our dog out on his daily walks. Also, when I listen to music, it's quiet & soothing. I don't watch the news on TV & I avoid watching violent TV programs, movies, etc. I also typically try to make sure I'm off of my laptop by 8 pm. I've read that the light from computers & smart phones tricks the brain into thinking it's daytime thus making it more difficult to get to sleep.

My personal opinion is we don't realize how much damage we in advertently do to ourselves when we expose ourselves to all of the noise & violence that constitutes what most of the media consists of nowadays. A while back I watched a series of programs on our local public television station titled "The Brain with David Eagleman". Eagleman is a neuroscientist. And in one of the programs in the series, Eagleman mentions that when we watch a violent scene on TV or in a movie, for example, while consciously we may understand it is fiction, non-conscious areas of our brains, to which we have no conscious access, react as if the violence were actually happening. To me, at least, the implications of that are clear. Anyway... these are my thoughts with regard to your post.
Thank you for such a insightful reply! I think what you said about violence in media is very true, especially for people who are highly empathetic (like me!) I feel, for me at least, this also applies to other things in media besides violence. Itís not something Iíve really thought of, but I have noticed that I do get very emotional and have intense reactions to things in movies, shows, books, etc.

I also love the mention of having a routine. Something I valued back in high school, despite how overworked I was, was having a routine. Iím going to be working on getting a routine going, especially now that I got a job with regular hours.

I know you said you canít give definitive advice, but I feel like the insight in your reply was something I very much needed now at this point in my life and i appreciate it! truly, what you said (especially about violence in media! iím definitely going to look up David Eagleman and do a little research!) really resonated with.
nana_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 11:09 AM   #4
Grand Member

glamslam feels lost, these days...

My Mood:

1,849 hugs
given

Benzodiazepine withdrawal can be deadly....you definitely need medical supervision weaning off clonazepam.

Dialectical Behavior Therapy, including mindfulness, helps with my anxiety disorders.
-C-PTSD
-General Anxiety disorder
-Social Anxiety disorder
-OCD
-chronic pain with degenerative disc disease, sciatica, 8 bulging discs; total disc replacement (herniated) in C5 and L4.

Rx meds: Yup!

Unconditionally loved and in love, tons of books, Maine Coon cats
glamslam is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 12-10-2017, 12:29 PM   #5
Magnate

Guiness187055 might be taking thorazine

My Mood:

318 hugs
given

I would think at such a low dose it would be easy to stop. I know at 2mg of xanax a day it was easy for me to stop in the past. If your afraid of panic attacks keep some and only use as needed. Sometimes just having a xanax in my pocket is enough to fend of a panic attack. Best of luck.
Rx Xanax 1mg prn
Rx Lamictal 200mg
Rx Lithium 900mg
Rx Seroquel 200mg

What have I become
My sweetest friend
Everyone I know
Goes away in the end
And you could have it all
My empire of dirt
I will let you down
I will make you hurt
Guiness187055 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:35 AM   #6

Neenagirl has no updates.

My Mood:

26 hugs
given

glamslam, for your chronic pain, may I ask what you are taking? My husband has a long list of neck and back problems like yours, no one will give him the hydrocodone that was helping and not even tramadol. He hurts to bad. He is going to have both back surgery and neck surgery, but right now, he is barely making it through each day. Thanks.
gad, bpd, ocd, depression, ptsd, dd, tardive dyskinesia, gabapentin, propanolol, klonopin, cymbalta, noritriptylene, 3L oxygen/night. Special supplements: 1000 iu Vit E, 500 mg Ginko Biloba, 4 servings BCAAs, 10 mg melatonin
Neenagirl is offline   Reply With Quote