Magnate
guilloche has no updates.

My Mood: Noisy neighbor... headaches... *argh*

3 yr Member
1,641 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Noisy neighbor... headaches... *argh*

Emily Fox Seaton - Thanks! I really liked you saying that she is the one who should move, ha! Part of what is awful about the situation is that she only moved in a couple years ago. I lived here for something like 8 years or so with the previous neighbor, who was super quiet, I never heard a thing from her house. Not even the TV. So, I'm really sad that my old neighbor, that I got along with so well, is gone, and the new one has such loud little scoundrels.

Thanks for pointing out that the board could still force to remove the dogs. I should actually ask the woman on the other side if she hears them, and if it's been a problem. I just sometimes worry that I'm just super sensitive to noise... my brain doesn't seem to do a good job of "filtering out" sounds, and I get stressed really easily.

Rechu - Oh wow... "the grand trifecta" - I can imagine how utterly horrible that would be! So much noise, coming at you from every direction. It really is crazy to think about how casual people are about stuff like that...

And, yeah, I totally understand that dogs are going to bark when someone comes to the door, or something weird happens. I have no problem with that (and it kind of gives me a heads up too that something is going on outside) - I wouldn't mind at all if they just barked for a few minutes, then settled down. It's the *45 minutes* of barking - lol - I seriously don't know how they keep going for that long, or what's going on in their heads. It's just mind boggling to me that they can go on and on and on for so long!

When do you get to move in to your new place!? It sounds lovely! I'm excited for you!

Do you think you'd be comfortable in a stand-alone house by yourself, if you weren't married? I'm single, so one of the reasons (other than cost, of course!) that I chose a townhouse was that it felt a bit safer to have people nearby. Less likelihood of a break-in, maybe? Even for stupid little things, like strange cars parked in front of the house, it's nice to be able to get in touch with the neighbors to double check if they know what's going on.

But, given my need for quiet, and space... I'm really thinking seriously about whether moving makes sense. (It's also a little hard as I don't think I want to stay in this state at all - I think I'd like to move, but I have to get some things in order first, and worry about finding a new job, etc. So it's not really going to happen *fast*.)

Thanks!
guilloche is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:

advertisement
Old 02-18-2019, 01:30 PM   #12
rechu
rechu has no updates.

2 yr Member
27 hugs
given

Guilloche. I am home alone during the day and I actually think I am going to feel safer there than here, even though the houses here are duplexes and very close together. Here there always seem to be random weirdos around and some seem to be checking out houses to burglarize, especially this time of year when a lot of houses are empty because people are on vacation. Where we are going, there is a security gate and guard that calls if someone says they want to go to your house. We need to still do some work, but I hope to be moved in in about a month.

Yeah. I feel the same way. Dogs will bark, mine aren't perfect, but it's the long barking episodes (like the dog next door to us) that are unbearable.

I am curious about this thing that your neighbor bought to help with the barking. Is it that much trouble for her to activate it when she's going to be out for shorter periods? It seems like that would be the best option, for her to activate it more frequently. But, obviously, you can't force her. Maybe if the neighbor on the other side also has an issue, she will start to realize she needs to do it, or risk being told she can't have the dogs.

I hope eventually you can move to a place that is better for you!
rechu is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-18-2019, 03:43 PM   #13
guilloche
Magnate

3 yr Member
1,641 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Rechu - Ah, the gate and security guard sound really awesome! I think I'd feel safer someplace like that too!

re: The device that my neighbor has... I think it's one of those ultrasonic bark stopping machines. I haven't seen it, but she said that it's able to detect when they bark. After a brief period (so the dogs can still bark a little) - it makes some noise that they don't like, and it stops when they stop barking.

I haven't seen it, so I'm just guessing, but I think it's just turning it on. I suspect she doesn't want to leave it on all the time b/c the dogs find it unpleasant.

I understand why she didn't turn it on before running to the store - she was gone for 30 minutes, I'm sure she didn't think there'd be a problem in such a short period of time.

I kind of wish that I had a device that would make them bark... and bark and bark and bark... while she's home, so she could see how annoying it is when you can't get them to quiet down!

Thanks, and good luck with the move!
Old 02-19-2019, 07:47 AM   #14
rechu
rechu has no updates.

2 yr Member
27 hugs
given

Thanks!

I had a couple other thoughts, if she might be open to suggestions. I don't know if I'm an expert since I can't be sure 100% about the level of my dogs' barking when I'm not around, but my neighbor friend has told me several times they don't bark much (definitely nowhere near 45 minutes straight) and no one else on the street has complained, so I think they behave pretty well. When we come home, they are nearly almost quiet/sleeping and only wake up when they hear the key in the door.

Anyways, we always leave them with some chewy treats. We save the things that last longer specifically for when we leave the house. We also leave them with TV or the radio on. Amusing, my husband had read that reggae was shown in a study to be the most calming music. We tried leaving them with a reggae CD on repeat. Maybe it works with some dogs, but for ours it was a disaster. They grabbed some newspapers that had been sitting on the table for a week without attracting their attention, and tore them all apart. They seem to like this rock/pop station better.

Another thought. I am not sure of the layout of your townhouses, but is their any way can she leave them in a room that is not directly adjacent to your place?

I have a feeling it could be a separation anxiety issue for your neighbor's dogs. Some sessions with a trainer could help with this, but of course she'd have to be willing to spend the time/money.
rechu is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-19-2019, 12:44 PM   #15
guilloche
Magnate

3 yr Member
1,641 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Thanks Rechu! Those are all really good ideas... and really funny that your dogs went crazy with the reggae music !

I'm going to keep these in my back pocket - the dogs have been quieter yesterday and today, even when she's been gone for work, and I hate to rock the boat even more. I guess I feel bad that the only times I really get in touch with her are to complain about the dogs... I don't mean to be, but I'm also dealing with all my own stuff (of course) and not interested in being super friendly with my neighbors. I'm fine with polite and chatting if we happen to run into each other, I don't want to actually "get together". (Only mentioning because she's mentioned that I can "stop by for some wine" at any time - I feel so awkward - first I'd hate to have someone randomly knock on my door expecting to visit, without asking if it's a good time, and second, I don't drink, and third... I don't think I want to set that precedent!)

I love your suggestions though, and I'm going to save them and think about working them in to casual conversation if it comes up, face-to-face I bet leaving music/tv on is a huge help... because it probably hides a lot of the outside noises that tend to set them off!

And, yeah, I think she needs to do some training with them. When she's got them on the leash outside, they go nuts when they see me - barking and acting crazy, and she has a hard time quieting them down. Even if I'm just talking to her - very casual, friendly. But, I'm not sure there's a nice way to say, "hey! You, your dogs, and I would all be MUCH HAPPIER if you'd think about actually training them!"

Thanks!!!
Old 02-19-2019, 12:50 PM   #16
unaluna
Elder Harridan x-hankster

unaluna - Lee Van Cleef fangirl

5 yr Member
39.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I made friends with my mothers neighbor 's pitbull by having treats for him whenever i saw him. Of course those littler dogs arent as sweet as pitbulls! You can give them to her to give to the dogs. Dogs are smart, they will still give you the credit!
unaluna is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-19-2019, 12:57 PM   #17
guilloche
Magnate

3 yr Member
1,641 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Ha! Thanks Unaluna!

You know, it's funny... when I was over there one evening (she did invite me in at some point to chat about the noise level, I think) - I asked if I could try giving the dogs a treat. She let me... and they still seem to hate me!

I cannot win here, seriously!
Hugs from:
Old 02-19-2019, 01:06 PM   #18
unaluna
Elder Harridan x-hankster

unaluna - Lee Van Cleef fangirl

5 yr Member
39.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

You cant fool dogs. You gotta seriously love them. Chiefie was ridiculously in love with me, but he hated my mom and her sister, it was hilarious.
unaluna is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-19-2019, 03:42 PM   #19
LucyD
Grand Poohbah

LucyD Spring is coming..yay

3 yr Member
1,633 hugs
given

So sorry the racket is maddening. I've experienced that too and moved once because of it. There is also a collar a dog wears that emits citronella (harmless to dogs) when they bark. It works and will teach them not to bark unless someone is at the door. I had to use it with my dog when I first moved in because someone complained about her. I had just got her and did not realize she barked when I was gone till the manager told me and also told me about the collar. Maybe you could tell your neighbor about the collar. It actually trains the dog not to bark when the owner is not there. I don't use it any more because mine has learned from the collar and no longer barks when I am gone. Best of luck to you with this issue.
LucyD is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-24-2019, 06:32 PM   #20
Medusax
Veteran Member

Medusax has no updates.

2 yr Member
264 hugs
given

I am thankful that I have always lived in houses. Other people's noise does not bother me. I have the ability to block out noise that doesn't pertain to me. I however, am a loud person. My dogs bark, although they are not outside when we are gone, and they are indoors and quiet at night. When they bark while I am at home, I silence them. I like my music loud when I clean, which is often. Apt/condo living is most definitely NOT the place for me. I would drive myself bonkers trying to stay quiet.
Medusax is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from: