Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > >

advertisement

Old 08-10-2018, 12:35 AM   #1
TheLonelyChemist
Grand Member

TheLonelyChemist Future Doctor of Medicine

My Mood: Why people will do anything for money?

949 hugs
given
Default Why people will do anything for money?

Don't tell me you don't know about it. Movies showing beautiful women, websites having clickbait titles, salesman calling himself "a student" trying to fool me into buying his encyclopedia, the advertisements on papers.... all of them indicate people will do anything for money, even if that means psychological manipulation. Another example is video game trailers, showing the best, cinematic scenes only, even if the game itself is crap.... I am so sick of it.

Why is the world like this? I cannot be the only person wondering this.

TheLonelyChemist is online now   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:

advertisement
Old 08-10-2018, 01:10 AM   #2
Travelinglady
Legendary Wise Elder

Travelinglady 's sister is visiting. :)

5 yr Member
15.2k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Why people will do anything for money?

They think money will buy happiness, evidently.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:54 AM   #3
Turtle_Rider
Elder

Turtle_Rider has no updates.

2 yr Member
1,793 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I'm sorry, I am one of those people, but of course I never scam or do anything extremely just for money (still maintain my conscience and sympathy). For me, money makes me feel more secure. With money I can buy food, house, car, education, insurance, or anything to ensure my survival and safety.

I agree that money can't buy everything, but let's face it we need it to survive, at least to buy food and pay for shelter. Also, those in poverty are more prone to crime and injustice.

There are still many reason for other people. It could be because of happiness, power, pride, or anything. But for me, it is simply for survive.
Turtle_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 08-10-2018, 09:48 AM   #4
Borderline69

Borderline69 has no updates.

Oprah Winfrey once said the difference between Americans and other Countries is America lives to work while everyone else works to live. I'm pretty sure she was Implying America is greedy while other Countries work enough to survive, spend a lot more time chilling with family and friends, total freedom. 😉

If you want to work your entlife so you can have the home you don't spend time in, the car you cant drive to work, material things only you care about, then what is your life worth ? Not much me thinks. I've only worked half my life and have 0 regrets. Life is too short to waste it on work till you drop in order to build up a fat bank account. To each their own, the simple life keeps you younger, healthier and gives one reason to love what you have rather than work you *** off to have what others have. Keeping up with the Jones has always been the American way, yet they seem to be more miserable than ppl from other Countries. Money has and always will be the root to all evil, some of us figure it out earlier in life than others.
Borderline69 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 08-10-2018, 10:19 AM   #5
TheSadGirl2

TheSadGirl2 Wants to run away

43 hugs
given

Why? Because a university education costs money. Having a home costs money. Eating food costs money. Travel costs money. In the US health care costs money. As a society we are driven to pursue wealth in order to be comfortable.

Additionally not very person shares the same morals and values. We all have different ideas of what is acceptable vs not.

That all being said, my dream life is living in a tiny house in the woods. I would love to live off the grid if I could pull it off. I dont think the way we live now is the best.

Your blue might be grey. Your less might be more. Your window to the world might be your own front door. Your shinest day might come in the middle of the night. That's just about right.
TheSadGirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 08-10-2018, 11:51 AM   #6
TheLonelyChemist
Grand Member

949 hugs
given

Yes, yes. I agree that money is one of the things essential for survival and a human being absolutely theoretically cannot survive without money. I get that. However, it doesn't mean you should absolutely LOOT other people of money using psychological "knowledge" (even an engineer doesn't know much about psychology formally, let alone salesmen or hotel management, I instantly recognize manipulation, why try at all? another thought) and since we are a middle class family not having money to pay my healthcare bills, I wouldn't want my father falling for a solar heater scam and me going blind due to not being able to go through LASIK.

I am sick of people out there just wanting money. There are other things that matter too, perhaps not as much, but those are - Family, friends, healthy lifestyle, etc. that cannot be bought with money.

Old 08-10-2018, 11:38 PM   #7
*Laurie*
Really Does Care

*Laurie* is creating something while listening to music.

3 yr Member
4,769 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Why will many people do anything for money? To get straight to the point: FEAR. That's why.

And time washes clean love's wounds unseen
That's what someone told me but I don't know what it means.

-Linda Ronstadt

Dx Bipolar Disorder, oftentimes mixed episode (she says); PTSD.

*Laurie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 12:02 AM   #8
TheLonelyChemist
Grand Member

949 hugs
given

I want a damn good geared bike to ride, something like the new Passion xPro or CB Shine. I am not gonna get them for a life time if I don't get them now, and my dad could become a victim of scams as well... it's not that we haven't before. It's immoral, why do people do this?

Old 08-11-2018, 01:05 AM   #9
TheSadGirl2

43 hugs
given

Its immoral according to your morals. We dont all have the same value system.

Your blue might be grey. Your less might be more. Your window to the world might be your own front door. Your shinest day might come in the middle of the night. That's just about right.
Old 08-11-2018, 01:40 AM   #10
TheSadGirl2

43 hugs
given

I wanted to say that the above is just a thought. I'm coming across as a bit abrasive today and I don't mean to.