Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > General > General Q&A

advertisement
Unread 09-11-2017, 11:46 AM   #31
Mapper has no updates.

3 yr Member
Default Re: Should my 20 yr old stepdaughter move in with us?

We were out at a bar yesterday to watch the game and this very nice lady sat next to us and we started talking. She asked if we had kids and I said that H had a daughter so she turned to him and asked how old she was. H said "She's going to be 20 next month but she lives with her mom. I think she should move up here, but she doesn't want to". So you freely admit to some stranger that she doesn't want to move here so why are you pushing her to do so??
Mapper is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Unread 09-11-2017, 11:54 AM   #32
Legendary Wise Elder

Travelinglady almost has her new kitchen completed.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
14.1k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Sounds like a no-win situation for you if things stay like they are, then. How can we help? Even if you told him that all these folks at Psych Central said she shouldn't move in, then that wouldn't matter.

We feel for you, but as you know, sweetie, only you can do something for your mental and emotional health. (I live three hours away from my mother. She is a narcissist and I was emotionally abused as a child.)
Unread 09-11-2017, 12:24 PM   #33
Mapper has no updates.

3 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelinglady View Post
Sounds like a no-win situation for you if things stay like they are, then. How can we help? Even if you told him that all these folks at Psych Central said she shouldn't move in, then that wouldn't matter.

We feel for you, but as you know, sweetie, only you can do something for your mental and emotional health. (I live three hours away from my mother. She is a narcissist and I was emotionally abused as a child.)
Sorry, I'm just venting, which I'm known to do here.

I can use the analogy of him wanting a dog in regards to him wanting his daughter to move here. We have 4 cats and live in a 1000 sq foot house. It's small. I love animals, but we do NOT need a dog right now! Every time he comes across cute dog videos online he wants me to see them. Has even (without my knowledge) sent emails to rescues when he sees a cute dog asking them if they could hold one until we had time to drive out and see it. Last week I saw a message to a guy on Facebook where he asked him where he got his French Bulldog puppy because he's been trying to convince me to get one but I'm not a dog person. The guy never responded. Then a few days ago he says to me "Yeah we don't have room for a dog". Wow, where'd that come from? For years you've been trying to convince me to get one and now all of a sudden you say we don't have room for one. See when you THINK about stuff, you realize it won't work! It's not that I'm not a dog person, it's just 1) We have 4 cats 2) dogs take a lot more work than cats and guess who will end up picking up it's poop and taking it for walks? 3) We have a fence that is about to fall down and has pieces of boards broken off where a small dog can get out, not to mention a gate that has a gap under it 4) We have a pet door that would have to be closed all day while we were gone so that the dog wouldn't get out, which would mean the cats would either have to be inside all day or outside. Of course he says "Oh I'll fix the fence" and "We can leave the pet door open all day. A small dog can go out and run around the back yard while we're gone. He won't get out". No! You can't let a dog just run willy nilly in and out of the house for 8 hours while we're not there! He wants something and thinks about all the consequences AFTER he gets it and then goes "I guess we should have made all these repairs beforehand".
Hugs from:
Unread 09-11-2017, 01:36 PM   #34
Legendary Wise Elder

Travelinglady almost has her new kitchen completed.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
14.1k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Just venting? I thought as such.
Unread 09-11-2017, 01:46 PM   #35
🖤 Controversial 🖤

iPhone Even if we can't find heaven I'll walk through hell with you

My Mood:

3 yr Member
391 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapper View Post
Sorry, I'm just venting, which I'm known to do here.

I can use the analogy of him wanting a dog in regards to him wanting his daughter to move here. We have 4 cats and live in a 1000 sq foot house. It's small. I love animals, but we do NOT need a dog right now! Every time he comes across cute dog videos online he wants me to see them. Has even (without my knowledge) sent emails to rescues when he sees a cute dog asking them if they could hold one until we had time to drive out and see it. Last week I saw a message to a guy on Facebook where he asked him where he got his French Bulldog puppy because he's been trying to convince me to get one but I'm not a dog person. The guy never responded. Then a few days ago he says to me "Yeah we don't have room for a dog". Wow, where'd that come from? For years you've been trying to convince me to get one and now all of a sudden you say we don't have room for one. See when you THINK about stuff, you realize it won't work! It's not that I'm not a dog person, it's just 1) We have 4 cats 2) dogs take a lot more work than cats and guess who will end up picking up it's poop and taking it for walks? 3) We have a fence that is about to fall down and has pieces of boards broken off where a small dog can get out, not to mention a gate that has a gap under it 4) We have a pet door that would have to be closed all day while we were gone so that the dog wouldn't get out, which would mean the cats would either have to be inside all day or outside. Of course he says "Oh I'll fix the fence" and "We can leave the pet door open all day. A small dog can go out and run around the back yard while we're gone. He won't get out". No! You can't let a dog just run willy nilly in and out of the house for 8 hours while we're not there! He wants something and thinks about all the consequences AFTER he gets it and then goes "I guess we should have made all these repairs beforehand".
I'm sorry for the way he's acting...it's not okay. But you can't really compare wanting a dog to wanting your child. I know it's easier said than done but if this is such a problem you always have the option of leaving.
iPhone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2017, 02:57 PM   #36
Mapper has no updates.

3 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhone View Post
I'm sorry for the way he's acting...it's not okay. But you can't really compare wanting a dog to wanting your child. I know it's easier said than done but if this is such a problem you always have the option of leaving.
Well I was getting at that he says he wants something without thinking ahead about all the changes it requires. Just the fact that he wants it now because he wants it. He doesn't think about the fact that more money will have to be spent on food and the water bill and she'll need her own vehicle because her car down there doesn't run, and he won't have the privacy he has now.

And the fact that he says he's going to do something, gets excited about doing it talks non stop about it and then he doesn't do or go to the thing. Like this one coworker wanted to go to a concert and asked H to go with him. H was totally stoked to go. They bought tickets 4 months in advance. H was excited about the show for months. The day before the show he and this guy were talking about what time to leave work and if they'd grab a bite to eat beforehand. H was really upbeat about it after talking to him. The next day, the day of the concert he sends me an email from work saying "I told Ken to give my ticket to his daughter and take her. I don't feel like going". Money wasted.

He paid $60 for a cooking class at Sur la Table. Was totally stoked about going and then forgot about it because he didn't read a reminder email that came to him. Called the company to see if he could instead go to another class and they said they usually don't refund money or allow someone to just take another class if they miss it but they did for him. The class was 2 weeks later and he was all excited about going. The day of he decides "Nah I don't feel like leaving the house". More money wasted.

Today he was going to go play guitar with his coworker. He's been practicing for 3 days now saying he needed to practice so he'd be good to play with the guy. Last night told me he was going to go over there fairly early and they'd jam and then go have lunch and jam some more. I talked to him an hour ago asking if he's going over soon. He says "Nah, I'm going to stay home and work on my motorcycle".

Do you see the pattern? The constant excitement about something and then at the last minute deciding that he doesn't want to do it after all. That's how I see it with his daughter. The whole hype about how much fun she'll have up here and they'll do all kinds of things when, in reality, it will be him saying "I'm going to be playing video games all night so you'll have to amuse yourself".

Last edited by Mapper; 09-11-2017 at 03:29 PM.
Unread 09-11-2017, 03:14 PM   #37
Poohbah

Shazerac is attempting to contact the mother ship.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
420 hugs
given

Mapper you are going on and on about what your husband said, what he does or doesn't do. Your step daughter, and her litany of behaviors and problems.

If you are just venting then that's ok. If you want someone to tell that it's a good idea to let your SD live with you.... I doubt that's going to happen.

It doesn't sound like you are ready to address the root problem here...your behavior and accepting unacceptable behavior in others. All I'm hearing. I can't ....I can't handle anger, I can't handle confrontation.... I can't ....I can't..... can't....

Nothing in life stays the same. If you don't make some changes, it's going to get worse....and then a lot worse.

Eat a live frog for breakfast every morning and nothing worse can happen to you that day!

"Ask yourself whether the dream of heaven and greatness should be left waiting for us in our graves - or whether it should be ours here and now and on this earth. Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Bipolar type 2 rapid cycling DX 2013
Seroquel 100 > 75mg as of 9/1/17
Celexa 40mg > 30 mg as of 9/1/17 > 20mg 9/19/17
Xanax .5 mg prn
Modafanil 200mg > 100mg as of 9/1/17

Shazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 09-11-2017, 04:16 PM   #38
Elder

*Laurie* is a NAMI group facilitator.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
3,040 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I agree with Shazerac.
Unread 09-14-2017, 10:25 AM   #39
Mapper has no updates.

3 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Laurie* View Post
I agree with Shazerac.
OK so perfect example of WTF! Last weekend I heard more than once that H was going to drive down to see that movie with SD this Sunday. You know, the one he said would be fun and then a few days later said looked stupid and he didn't want to see, but he would still go down. Drilling into me about how she should move up here. About how she is struggling. Here I am freaking out about him having a talk with her about living here. They haven't spoken in a week and last night he says to me "So do you want to go down to that bar on Sunday afternoon and watch the football game?" Ummmmm okay? Obviously totally forgot about going down to see SD! Doesn't mean he won't remember today but acts all high and mighty that she needs direction and he's the one to show her but totally flakes on going to see his SD he sees like twice a year! THIS is why she doesn't need to move here. Total disregard for doing things that seem so important to him one day and the next he'd rather go to a bar!

This is the exact attitude he'd have towards her. He'll have the best intentions of putting her on the right path, but after a couple of times of her not following through he'll just go "We're going to go to a bar, you can do what you want".
Unread 09-14-2017, 11:12 AM   #40
Molinit has no updates.

My Mood:

4 hugs
given

You should try journaling and then looking back on a monthly basis to what you've written there. "Venting" doesn't seem to improve or change the situation in any way except providing you an audience for these complaints you have. That's not helpful to you and it isn't helpful to anyone reading.
Molinit is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says: