Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > General > General Q&A

advertisement
Unread 06-18-2017, 11:38 PM   #1

BrowseAfterMidnight has no updates.

My Mood:

21 hugs
given
Confused Why would I crave hard drugs if I have never done them before?

So I have had this feeling a few times before, the last time being a couple of days ago. It is more of an intrusive thought, perhaps. I just can't stop thinking about altering my consciousness in some way and getting feelings of euphoria (aka drugs). I think it is driven by feelings of emptiness, being unfulfilled, and maybe also boredom. The strange thing is, it's sort of hard to make these thoughts go away. I tried some exercising and it didn't work... So far, I have come to the conclusion that the way to fix this is to make my mind completely busy with some rewarding task, which is somewhat hard to do when my mind is so preoccupied with drugs.

As mentioned in the title, I have never done hard drugs before, just alcohol and smoking tobacco occasionally. It is strange that I have had the thought of doing hard drugs persist for an entire day multiple times in the past half a year. Does this mean anything or should I just get busier to make this go away? Could it be anxiety or something mood-related?

Meds:
- Trintellix 15 mg
BrowseAfterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Unread 06-19-2017, 08:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member
eyesclosed has no updates.

My Mood:

142 hugs
given
Default Re: Why would I crave hard drugs if I have never done them before?

I used drugs at the age of 12 often to fill the void of emptiness. Many don't realize that alcohol is a hard drug. It's socially accepted. Alcohol is a cleaner or disinfectant but when taken in small% gets you high and many people use it to cope with what you experience and often leads to other drug use. I can't drink and don't I can't get enough and also will seek other drugs. I have not used drugs in 25 yrs. Although I consider the medication I have to take a hard drug. You are just on the edge of entering in a hell of a problem if you use drugs too fill this void. The void will never get enough and you will become it's slave. I hope this will help deter your thoughts from drugs. I started a new hobby to help myself. I was also ordered by the court to go too a drug treatment center.
eyesclosed is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 06-19-2017, 02:28 PM   #3
Grand Magnate

Thunder Bow is a Navajo Shaman

My Mood:

3 yr Member PC PoohBah!

Depression and anxiety drives the need to do drugs. In your case, your thoughts may have more with self put down than the need for drugs.

www.lightningthunderbow.com
Thunder Bow is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 06-19-2017, 03:12 PM   #4
"I'm scarlet inside"

Fharraige "'Cause in my head there's a Greyhound station"

My Mood:

5 yr Member
4,417 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowseAfterMidnight View Post
I think it is driven by feelings of emptiness, being unfulfilled, and maybe also boredom.
You need to take care of this first. Interests? Hobbies? Maybe find a group of people who have similar interests (like meetup.com)? Or try a therapist to work through issues that leave you feeling this way?

BP Type 1, GAD, PTSD, BPD
Latuda, Artane, Neurontin, Vistaril and some other stuff

My poetry and prose
My Flickr Photostream
Fharraige is online now   Reply With Quote