DarknessIsMyFriend
Supreme Being

DarknessIsMyFriend has no updates.

My Mood: Is this how most people are?

3 yr Member
603 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Is this how most people are?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I very partially agree with you. What I mean is, I support school for learning the basics. I think that college is something that you should be able to enjoy and it shouldnt be 4 years, it should be 2. The first two years of my English Lit degree were a waste of money. All I did was take classes that didn't apply to my major- foreign languages, a very hard math and various electives. It would have been way cheaper to just focus on the English Lit for an intense 2 years.

Yeah I am not against the idea of schooling by any means. I agree education is important.

I am against how the both high schools and colleges are structured. People should be encouraged to think critically and question information, no matter how potentially controversial said information is. I am against telling people how they should think and act just so they can conform, which is pretty much what schools do these days.

For the record, I am a student myself, all be it a community college student working on a 2 year web development degree. I only became a student because I was homeless a couple of years ago and needed a job but nobody would hire me and I couldn't get an apartment because they want a verifiable income and what little money that I did make wouldn't pass income verification so I was pretty much forced to become a student. If I had the choice, I may have chosen otherwise.
The strong do what they will and the weak suffer what they must. This is the way of the world. In the face of a more powerful opponent, I would have no recourse but to suffer. That is why I seek strength.

You either die the hero, or you live long enough to become the villain.
DarknessIsMyFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:

advertisement
Old 01-17-2019, 03:00 PM   #122
sarahsweets
Poohbah

sarahsweets Humor is my end game..

77 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknessIsMyFriend View Post

For the record, I am a student myself, all be it a community college student working on a 2 year web development degree.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with community college! many times you get equal or better professors more dedicated to their work because they do not have the tenure cushion. My son went to community college and earned an associates and then transferred to a 4 year school. The SAME education for a lot less money.

President of the no F's given society.
sarahsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 01-17-2019, 06:10 PM   #123
DarknessIsMyFriend
Supreme Being

3 yr Member
603 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with community college! many times you get equal or better professors more dedicated to their work because they do not have the tenure cushion. My son went to community college and earned an associates and then transferred to a 4 year school. The SAME education for a lot less money.

Agreed.

People down both community colleges and trade school, yet don't realize you can get jobs that pay really well through them without ever going to a university.

For example, I had a friend that went to a trade school in my area to study to work in IT. He finished in a year and got 2 certifications. He immediately got hired into a good company. He started at about 30 grand per year. About 2 years later, he is making close to 60 grand a year off working enterprise tech support (the guys that provide tech support to help fix those big servers that large corporations use and company networks with thousands of users) and he only gets 2-3 calls a day at most. He goes up to work in his PJs and takes a gaming laptop and literally plays WoW and watches Twitch streams all day in between calls lol.

Also I know another person that makes a 6 figure salary as a software engineer without ever even setting foot in a university. He only earned an associates and that's it. He even admitted the job is easy because he just Googles half of his problems.

Keep in mind that I live in a real low cost of living state so those figures that I mentioned would actually be higher in a major city where cost of living is double to what it is here.

So yeah, I don't see a need to go to a university.
The strong do what they will and the weak suffer what they must. This is the way of the world. In the face of a more powerful opponent, I would have no recourse but to suffer. That is why I seek strength.

Old 01-17-2019, 07:01 PM   #124
sarahsweets
Poohbah

sarahsweets Humor is my end game..

77 hugs
given

Yes! Guess what? I met my husband in college and we married when I was 20. He graduated with a Geology degree. Went to work at an environmental company- realized he hated office politics and environmental work. Quit, enrolled in a union (IBEW) school for teledata installation. Then Journeyman's school. Got hired out of the hall at the biggest Ivy league school in the nation and they offered him permanent full time. He now works as a network technician, loves his job and his degree did nothing for him. I have an English Lit degree and would love to be a teacher....someday however I have three kids so I stayed home with them. STILL waiting for the day that I can benefit from my degree.

Quote:
Agreed.

People down both community colleges and trade school, yet don't realize you can get jobs that pay really well through them without ever going to a university.

For example, I had a friend that went to a trade school in my area to study to work in IT. He finished in a year and got 2 certifications. He immediately got hired into a good company. He started at about 30 grand per year. About 2 years later, he is making close to 60 grand a year off working enterprise tech support (the guys that provide tech support to help fix those big servers that large corporations use and company networks with thousands of users) and he only gets 2-3 calls a day at most. He goes up to work in his PJs and takes a gaming laptop and literally plays WoW and watches Twitch streams all day in between calls lol.

Also I know another person that makes a 6 figure salary as a software engineer without ever even setting foot in a university. He only earned an associates and that's it. He even admitted the job is easy because he just Googles half of his problems.

Keep in mind that I live in a real low cost of living state so those figures that I mentioned would actually be higher in a major city where cost of living is double to what it is here.

So yeah, I don't see a need to go to a university.

President of the no F's given society.
sarahsweets is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 01-17-2019, 07:09 PM   #125
DarknessIsMyFriend
Supreme Being

3 yr Member
603 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Yes! Guess what? I met my husband in college and we married when I was 20. He graduated with a Geology degree. Went to work at an environmental company- realized he hated office politics and environmental work. Quit, enrolled in a union (IBEW) school for teledata installation. Then Journeyman's school. Got hired out of the hall at the biggest Ivy league school in the nation and they offered him permanent full time. He now works as a network technician, loves his job and his degree did nothing for him. I have an English Lit degree and would love to be a teacher....someday however I have three kids so I stayed home with them. STILL waiting for the day that I can benefit from my degree.

I heard being a community college adjunct isn't that bad of a deal honestly. I know a couple of professors that teach part time (one I am kind of close with even) and they say that it really isn't that hard or stressful to teach 2-3 smaller classes part time. There isn't a terribly large amount of work involved and the pay is decent enough for the time committed. If nothing else, they seem like happy people.

I admit, it has even crossed my mind to teach before, just because it would be kind of cool to do something meaningful without having to work over 40 hours per week. I just don't want to deal with the stress and pressure of full time work, which is why I have this obsession with self employment lol. Working part time as a teacher would be kinda cool though if I had the patience to stick out university.

So maybe that's something you can consider in the future? It might suit you

"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 01-17-2019, 07:27 PM   #126
Medusax
Veteran Member

Medusax has no updates.

2 yr Member
249 hugs
given

I went to Community College too, Darkness...wasn't good enough for my Ivy League parents, but I am good with me.......
Old 01-18-2019, 12:36 PM   #127
DarknessIsMyFriend
Supreme Being

3 yr Member
603 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusax View Post
I went to Community College too, Darkness...wasn't good enough for my Ivy League parents, but I am good with me.......

Ivy League universities are a scam anyways. They are overpriced and overrated. Why anybody would take in hundreds of thousands of dollars of student loan debt JUST so they can brag about how much better they are than everyone else because they went to somewhere like Harvard is beyond my comprehension. Yes, I do realize that you can meet contacts at an Ivy League university and some jobs become more accessible to you. There are many other ways to become successful and wealthy without even going to a university though. Entrepreneurship comes to mind, which you don't even need college for.

I think that's another problem with high schools in particular. They make students think that they won't amount to anything if they don't get into a top university. As a result, many high school students are being overworked with school, desperately trying to keep their grades up and taking a bunch of AP classes just so they can get into an Ivy League university.

The whole system is a big scam. The best way to avoid being scammed is to not play the scammers game. That's why I am doing things my own way. I refuse to conform to a society that encourages me to do things that make me unhappy just to fit in. After all, you wouldn't play a game against a cheater, would you?

Old 01-19-2019, 11:18 AM   #128
Emily Fox Seaton
Poohbah

Emily Fox Seaton has no updates.

2 yr Member
224 hugs
given

Quote:
Ivy League universities are a scam anyways. They are overpriced and overrated. Why anybody would take in hundreds of thousands of dollars of student loan debt JUST so they can brag about how much better they are than everyone else because they went to somewhere like Harvard is beyond my comprehension.
I think it depends on what you will be pursuing. Some industries are all reputation and no real skill.

But I think these schools are simply "secret handshakes" of the elites. The elites recruit there for two reasons:

(1) if you are rich and powerful, you are likely to send your kids to these schools. These kids are the key to rich and powerful people. I went to a top school, eventually I found out all my friends were sons of congressmen, federal judges or captains of industry. Not only was hiring these kids a quid pro quo to the powerful parent, ( I had much better grades than them) but, the kids themselves probably didn't need too much pay because they were rich.

(2) If you are just a regular smoe like me... they might hire you... after all they need someone to do to the work, but they need to have a way to control you. How do they do that? Have you graduate with student loans that are massive and crushing and could only be paid off by working for them and doing exactly what they tell you to.

I went to a regular state school for college and had a terrible time getting work or pay afterward. I realized I got what I paid for. I went back to an elite school and though I didn't get the jobs I thought I would... It still opens up opportunities for me. I was frugal though I made sure I rang up as little debt as possible. So it was worth the 50K I paid for it. 250K? Nope.

BTW I learned NOTHING at the elite school. But clearly that is not what they are about.
Emily Fox Seaton is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 01-19-2019, 12:53 PM   #129
DarknessIsMyFriend
Supreme Being

3 yr Member
603 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Which pretty much makes them a scam.

I won't play the wealthy elite's game. I despise the rich with a passion. I am a self proclaimed robin hood that would screw over the rich to help somebody in need if given the chance. I do things my own way, outside of the system.

The system hasn't done anything for me except steal 2/3rds of my childhood because of doctors that wanted to milk money off me and a mother that wanted to garner sympathy by lying about my mental health issues. Guess who controls the mental health system? The wealthy elite or "Illuminati" as they're called by some.

As long as there are people struggling with not even being able to buy a loaf of bread or get basic medical care because of being poor, I will hold the rich in utter contempt. Nothing can change that.

Nobody can control me. I would sooner die on my feet than live on my knees.

"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 01-20-2019, 02:02 PM   #130
luvyrself
Veteran Member
luvyrself has no updates.

3 yr Member
44 hugs
given

I think itís normal to feel better about having genuine respect for some women. We all put on our game face in some situations, but I think you will be happier spending more time w people you really like.
Xanax as needed
luvyrself is offline   Reply With Quote