Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > >

advertisement

Old 03-13-2018, 09:45 AM   #1
bogdy23
bogdy23 has no updates.

My Mood: Can you modify your GAFS scale?

Default Can you modify your GAFS scale?

Hello,

Can you modify your gafs scale im currently at 70 can i modify to over 80 90. Or your pretty much stuck with it for life?
Thank you
bogdy23 is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-13-2018, 03:17 PM   #2
BeyondtheRainbow
Elder

BeyondtheRainbow has no updates.

3 yr Member
1,434 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Can you modify your GAFS scale?

It changes throughout life. It can even change day to day.

I'm pretty sure it is not used officially anymore so it's really just a guideline of sorts.

BeyondtheRainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:09 PM   #3
amandalouise
Wise Elder

amandalouise has no updates.

8 yr Member
641 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogdy23 View Post
Hello,

Can you modify your gafs scale im currently at 70 can i modify to over 80 90. Or your pretty much stuck with it for life?
Thank you
GAF scores just say how severe your problems are. the lower the score the more problems you have, the higher your scores the less problems you have...

example a 70 over all score related to my depression and how I function day to day with my depression means my symptoms of sadness, self injury, dissociation, suicidal thoughts..... all my depression symptoms are very mild. they affect me but its not a big deal.

a score of 80-90 means my depression is almost non existent. I may have an intrusive thought here and there about suicide or harming myself or sadness.. but its not so severe that I cant function, cant work cant go on with life.

on the other hand when my GAF score related to my depression is 40-50s it means hey listen up Im suicidal here and I may just bla bla bla....I cant stop thinking about this that and the other thing and I am constantly in a state of fogginess, spaciness, not paying attention and dont care.

in other words a 70 is a good spot to be on the gaf scale.

the gaf score changes from day to day, with what ever you happen to need to do that day and how you handle your day to day life.

another poster stated GAF is no longer used... sorry I disagree. its not universal meaning every mental health agency around the world uses it but it is still being used. some use the WHODAS and others use the GAF. they match in scoring. the difference is one is more detailed and more recently updated.

those that use the DSM5 diagnostic manuals usually but not always use the WHODAS. those that use the ICD10 sometimes still use the GAF system.

my own treatment provider uses both scales.
amandalouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 12:37 PM   #4
bogdy23
bogdy23 has no updates.

Could i have gotten the GAFS of 70 because i`m 28 and still in school my second college because i couldn`t find a job with the first?
Old 03-14-2018, 01:01 PM   #5
amandalouise
Wise Elder

8 yr Member
641 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Could i have gotten the GAFS of 70 because i`m 28 and still in school my second college because i couldn`t find a job with the first?
GAF doesnt depend on your age. its about what your mental problems are and how severe they are.

example your profile says you have the mental disorder Schizophrenia...

a 70 says your Schizophrenia problems ... hallucinations, delusions, intrusive thoughts, and other schizophrenia problems that you may have is very mild and does not affect you very much right now... the schizophrenia problems are not stopping you from doing what ever you have to do every day.

an example of a......... lower........... gaf score would be you having lots of hallucinations, lots of delusions, lots of schizophrenia problems.

An example of a ............higher .........GAF score would be not having any hallucinations, not having any delusions, not having any schizophrenia problems.

its not about your age, or your race or anything like that....

its about your mental disorder and how bad or good it is.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:25 AM   #6
bogdy23
bogdy23 has no updates.

My diagnosis got changed it`s not schizophrenia anymore its obsessive personality disorder
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 03-16-2018, 11:29 AM   #7
amandalouise
Wise Elder

8 yr Member
641 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
My diagnosis got changed it`s not schizophrenia anymore its obsessive personality disorder
the same system of scoring is for all mental disorders....

example 70 means OCD problems are mild and dont affect your life very much
higher than 70 would be to no OCD problems affecting your life, lower than 70 means you have more and more OCD problems.

my point is it doesnt matter what mental disorder you have .....GAF is scoring system that says how hard /severe or none at all your problems are.
Old 03-17-2018, 03:17 PM   #8
tevelygo
tevelygo has no updates.

23 hugs
given

Quote:
Hello,

Thank you
70 is quite good, pretty normal really, I think. If you improve on your little problems then sure you can go to 80-90, in maybe a couple of years is my guess.

Oh and I do suggest you don't neglect the problems even if they are mild, so that they do not get worse. So yeah, keep going.
tevelygo is offline   Reply With Quote