Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > >



advertisement
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2018, 10:36 AM   #1
summersover
Member
 
summersover's Avatar
summersover has no updates.
 
Member Since: Mar 2016
Location: United States / Sweden
Posts: 68
My Mood: Am I Dealing with a Pedophile?

2 yr Member
45 hugs
given
Trig Am I Dealing with a Pedophile?

Hello, I haven't been on this forum for awhile (I was very active about 2 years ago). It's nice to come back as I feel the community here is very supportive and comforting.

Anyways, a little background on me before I begin: I recently started attending community college and I am majoring in psychology (big surprise haha) and I'm currently in my second semester. As a 22 year old, I'm very far behind the people I knew in high school as most of them are going to graduate this year. So whenever I meet someone at the college who is my age, it's very refreshing. (I know I'm not that old, but hey, most of the people there are fresh out of high school!).

So this semester I met a very nice guy in my algebra class. We've been texting everyday and even flirting a little. I'm currently single, but I've had feelings for a guy online from Germany for about 2 years, but I think I might have finally found someone locally who is interested in the same things I am: psychology, writing, video games, comics, etc. It's been nice having someone in the same area as an option, and I hope that things continue to go smoothly and we fall in love and bla bla bla. You know the rest haha.

However, I've noticed something about him that is a bit unsettling. When we first started to get to know each other, he showed me his book collection and I noticed that there was a common theme in all of them: They were all stories about young girls who were either in love with or adopted by an older male that wasn't their biological father. I also noticed that he wrote stories on Wattpad about the same subject. I didn't think much of it, until he told me this the other night:

He was telling me about how he had started taking anxiety medication, and he mentioned how his anxiety has been really bad lately. So I asked him, "Why has it been so bad? You don't have to tell me though if you don't want to." So then he proceeds to tell me that every day for the last few months or so he had been very anxious and paranoid about the police coming to his house because he had been accused of molesting his little sister. So of course, because I care about him, I was like, "Who would do that to you and why?" But then he said this and I got really nervous: "I'm just glad they didn't find it to be true." Something about that just didn't sound right to me. Wouldn't a normal person say something like, "I'm just glad they found I was innocent?"

So for the rest of that night I felt extremely uneasy, and I spent hours trying to piece together everything I knew about him. A little background on him: He was adopted because his biological mother abused and molested him at a young age. I've heard that sometimes people who were molested at a young age will unfortunately go on to do it to someone else later on in life, so maybe he really did do something to his sister?

I might be losing my mind, I don't know. All of this is based solely on assumption after all.

But what should I do? Should I talk to someone about this? A close friend? Authorities? The guy himself?

Should I go ahead and stop talking to him, or should I continue pursuing him? Or just be friends?

Any advice on this would be very helpful. Thank you. And I apologize if this is the wrong section for this, I wasn't exactly sure where to put this thread.

Thanks!
__________________
"I'm in a competition with myself and I'm losing."
-Roger Waters

Last edited by bluekoi; 02-16-2018 at 08:21 PM.. Reason: Add trigger icon.
summersover is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:

advertisement
Old 02-12-2018, 11:00 AM   #2
Anonymous50909
Guest
Anonymous50909 has no updates. Edit
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Am I Dealing with a Pedophile?

I would talk to him and ask him more specific questions. Why did they think he molested his sister? If you still feel uneasy, maybe step back. You might need time to reflect on this and pause with him. The book thing is a little odd. Some people are odd people though. What grounds did the police have for thinking he molested his sister? Did he go to trial? Is there anything else about him that bothers you? Regardless, something feels off for you and it doesn't sound like you have all the information.
  Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-12-2018, 11:03 AM   #3
RubyRae
Grand Member
RubyRae has no updates.
 
Member Since: Apr 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 857
455 hugs
given
Default Re: Am I Dealing with a Pedophile?

I think you should go with whatever your gut instincts are.

Obviously your gut is telling you something's not right,otherwise you wouldn't have come here and started this thread.
RubyRae is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-12-2018, 11:08 AM   #4
summersover
Member
 
summersover's Avatar
summersover has no updates.
 
Member Since: Mar 2016
Location: United States / Sweden
Posts: 68
My Mood: Am I Dealing with a Pedophile?

2 yr Member
45 hugs
given
Default Re: Am I Dealing with a Pedophile?

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrysky View Post
I would talk to him and ask him more specific questions. Why did they think he molested his sister? If you still feel uneasy, maybe step back. You might need time to reflect on this and pause with him. The book thing is a little odd. Some people are odd people though. What grounds did the police have for thinking he molested his sister? Did he go to trial? Is there anything else about him that bothers you? Regardless, something feels off for you and it doesn't sound like you have all the information.
Every time I tried to ask for more information he tried to change the subject.
__________________
"I'm in a competition with myself and I'm losing."
-Roger Waters
summersover is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 02-12-2018, 11:17 AM   #5
RubyRae
Grand Member
RubyRae has no updates.
 
Member Since: Apr 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 857
455 hugs
given
Default Re: Am I Dealing with a Pedophile?

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersover View Post
Every time I tried to ask for more information he tried to change the subject.
Well that's sure a big red flag,isn't it?

Don't doubt what your gut is telling you.There's a reason you are questioning all of this.
RubyRae is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-12-2018, 11:17 AM   #6
Anonymous50909
Guest
Anonymous50909 has no updates. Edit
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Am I Dealing with a Pedophile?

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersover View Post
Every time I tried to ask for more information he tried to change the subject.
Ok, that is a red flag for me. Go with your gut on this one. Something's not right.
  Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-12-2018, 11:19 AM   #7
Anonymous87914
Guest
Anonymous87914 has no updates. Edit
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Am I Dealing with a Pedophile?

I agree too, that is a red flag.
  Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-12-2018, 01:52 PM   #8
Thunder Bow
Elder
 
Thunder Bow's Avatar
Thunder Bow is a Medicine Man
 
Member Since: Sep 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,281 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood: Am I Dealing with a Pedophile?

5 yr Member
1 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Am I Dealing with a Pedophile?

Seems he suffers from extreme anxiety, and the problems that come with it. As said above, trust your gut level feelings on this one.
__________________
Am I Dealing with a Pedophile?

www.lightningthunderbow.com
Thunder Bow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 04:11 PM   #9
childofchaos831
Grand Magnate
 
childofchaos831's Avatar
childofchaos831 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Nov 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,987 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood: Am I Dealing with a Pedophile?

12 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Am I Dealing with a Pedophile?

I have always found when my gut is telling me to back off or take it slower, there is a reason. I may not even be seeing it consciously. The fact that he won't answer questions and changes the subject is concerning for me. I also studied psych in college (no degree yet, associate's in social work). To me, an "innocent" person would want to tell the story and clear their name, in your eyes, not raise more doubt. I also noticed the wording he used, it did seem a little convoluted.
__________________


Diagnoses:
Schizoaffective Bipolar, C-PTSD, DID, Major Anxiety, Chronic Pain
childofchaos831 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-12-2018, 04:37 PM   #10
Deejay14
Poohbah
 
Deejay14's Avatar
Deejay14 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Sep 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 1,087
My Mood: Am I Dealing with a Pedophile?

30 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Am I Dealing with a Pedophile?

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersover View Post
Hello, I haven't been on this forum for awhile (I was very active about 2 years ago). It's nice to come back as I feel the community here is very supportive and comforting.

Anyways, a little background on me before I begin: I recently started attending community college and I am majoring in psychology (big surprise haha) and I'm currently in my second semester. As a 22 year old, I'm very far behind the people I knew in high school as most of them are going to graduate this year. So whenever I meet someone at the college who is my age, it's very refreshing. (I know I'm not that old, but hey, most of the people there are fresh out of high school!).

So this semester I met a very nice guy in my algebra class. We've been texting everyday and even flirting a little. I'm currently single, but I've had feelings for a guy online from Germany for about 2 years, but I think I might have finally found someone locally who is interested in the same things I am: psychology, writing, video games, comics, etc. It's been nice having someone in the same area as an option, and I hope that things continue to go smoothly and we fall in love and bla bla bla. You know the rest haha.

However, I've noticed something about him that is a bit unsettling. When we first started to get to know each other, he showed me his book collection and I noticed that there was a common theme in all of them: They were all stories about young girls who were either in love with or adopted by an older male that wasn't their biological father. I also noticed that he wrote stories on Wattpad about the same subject. I didn't think much of it, until he told me this the other night:

He was telling me about how he had started taking anxiety medication, and he mentioned how his anxiety has been really bad lately. So I asked him, "Why has it been so bad? You don't have to tell me though if you don't want to." So then he proceeds to tell me that every day for the last few months or so he had been very anxious and paranoid about the police coming to his house because he had been accused of molesting his little sister. So of course, because I care about him, I was like, "Who would do that to you and why?" But then he said this and I got really nervous: "I'm just glad they didn't find it to be true." Something about that just didn't sound right to me. Wouldn't a normal person say something like, "I'm just glad they found I was innocent?"

So for the rest of that night I felt extremely uneasy, and I spent hours trying to piece together everything I knew about him. A little background on him: He was adopted because his biological mother abused and molested him at a young age. I've heard that sometimes people who were molested at a young age will unfortunately go on to do it to someone else later on in life, so maybe he really did do something to his sister?

I might be losing my mind, I don't know. All of this is based solely on assumption after all.

But what should I do? Should I talk to someone about this? A close friend? Authorities? The guy himself?

Should I go ahead and stop talking to him, or should I continue pursuing him? Or just be friends?

Any advice on this would be very helpful. Thank you. And I apologize if this is the wrong section for this, I wasn't exactly sure where to put this thread.

Thanks!
I would separate myself from him in a jiffy!
__________________
True happiness comes not when we get rid of all our problems, but when we change our relationship to them, when we see our problems as a potential source of awakening, opportunities to practice patience and learn.~Richard Carlson
Deejay14 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® — Copyright © 2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.



advertisement

 

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice,
diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider.
Always consult your doctor or mental health professional before trying anything you read here.

 

HomeAbout UsContact UsPrivacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer
Forums HomeCommunity GuidelinesHelp


 
Helplines and Lifelines