Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > >

advertisement

Old 11-11-2017, 07:44 PM   #1
TeaFruit
TeaFruit has no updates.

21 hugs
given
Default Do I have the RIGHT to Have Second Opinion

Do I have the right as a client to have a second opinion about my mental health to a different therapist?

Also do I have the right to see two therapist at the same time?

I live in New Zealand, so the rules here might be different over at yours.

Just my therapist keeps going on about this "unwritten rule. Not to see more than one therapist at the same time"
TeaFruit is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Old 11-11-2017, 09:28 PM   #2
pegasus
Q&A Leader

pegasus is here.

My Mood: Do I have the RIGHT to Have Second Opinion

10 yr Member
4,591 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Do I have the RIGHT to Have Second Opinion

You have every right to ask for a second opinion, it's your health and you want the best treatment. You need to be able to find the best fit for you, after all you are doing psychological work and you need to be able to trust them. Many people try a few therapists before finding the right one for them.

As for have two therapists at the same time, that would be useful for different types of therapy maybe, for example CBT with one main therapist and one for EMDR treatment. I don't see a benefit to having two therapists doing the same type of therapy though, pick the one you feel you can connect and trust.

Pegasus

Got a quick question related to mental health or a treatment? Ask it here General Q&A Forum

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by it's ability to climb a tree, it will live it's whole life believing that it is stupid.” - Albert Einstein
pegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 10:30 PM   #3
FallDuskTrain
Grand Poohbah

FallDuskTrain has no updates.

21 hugs
given

I see how the unwritten rule makes sense.
There is no reason to have too many cooks in one kitchen unless they compliment each other.
Old 11-11-2017, 10:47 PM   #4
anonymous50007
anonymous50007 has no updates. Edit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaFruit View Post
Do I have the right as a client to have a second opinion about my mental health to a different therapist?
Yes of course.

As with seeing two therapists at the same time, I had one tell me when I asked about that, that seeing two could create a conflict in therapy. Suppose that you would recieve two different, conflicting viewpoints on the same issue, and that could do more harm than good for the client (not to mention cause problems with the client-clinician relationship).

I think it's better to find one therapist you can trust and build a rapport with. Though it does take time, and you may have to go through a few before you find one that's a good fit for you, I think that's better in the long-term.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:06 AM   #5
amandalouise
Wise Elder

amandalouise has no updates.

8 yr Member
641 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaFruit View Post

Also do I have the right to see two therapist at the same time?

I live in New Zealand, so the rules here might be different over at yours.

Just my therapist keeps going on about this "unwritten rule. Not to see more than one therapist at the same time"
have you tried google.... I just googled rights of mentally ill in new zealand...

according to google if this is court mandated you can not see another therapist unless you go to court and show reason why you can not work with your present therapist.

According to google you have the right to a second mental health assessment (second opinion) sometimes at your own cost not your insurance.

according to google you can not see more than one therapist at the same time. you can change therapists but only one at a time. you can have a psychiatrist and a therapist but you cant have two therapists at the same time insurance wont pay for both, insurance will only pay for one.

some locations in new zealand are changing these so the best thing to to is talk with your therapist. they will explain how things are done where you are.. you can also contact your insurance caseworker/ provider who can also explain to you about your locations mental health system and how it works.
amandalouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:59 PM   #6
Thunder Bow
Elder

Thunder Bow is a Medicine Man

5 yr Member
1 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Group Therapy is actually seeing many Therapists at the same time. So more Therapists the better, if you can afford them. Remember you have the last word about what applies to you, about they say about you. Thus only you can say what fits for you.

www.lightningthunderbow.com
Thunder Bow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 05:23 PM   #7
amandalouise
Wise Elder

8 yr Member
641 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Bow View Post
Group Therapy is actually seeing many Therapists at the same time. So more Therapists the better, if you can afford them. Remember you have the last word about what applies to you, about they say about you. Thus only you can say what fits for you.
here in new york group therapy is not seeing many therapists at the same time. here group therapy is where one therapist is in the same room with 5-10 non professionals that have the same mental disorder or problem, the therapist teaches about that problem or mental disorder and there is general discussion about the material being taught. usually but not always the group therapy non professionals in the room are the one therapists patients / clients... example rape crisis centers are known for holding group therapy sessions for people who have been raped and one of the crisis center's therapists facilitate the group. another example here in the city is a new mothers therapy group where there is one therapist teaching new parents how to be mothers combating post pregnancy depression and other problems new mothers go through. there is also a group therapy here in my city for eating disorders, depression, personality disorders and many more. all of which there is one therapist in a room of clients teaching how to help their selves with that problem/ disorder.

here in ny we also have support peer run groups on just about every mental disorder and problem. in those groups they usually do not have any therapists present.

sometimes if the group therapy (not support group) has over 15 people there will be an interning aid (this is someone still in college but doing their internship, think of it kind of like having a teacher and a teachers aid in school, theres one therapist and one intern level aid. the therapist is in charge of the group and the aid is there to do what ever the therapist tells them to do or help any way they can)
Old 11-13-2017, 05:47 AM   #8
Jennifer 1967
Legendary

Jennifer 1967 has no updates.

3 yr Member
39k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

You have a right to a second opinion. Insurance usually won’t pay for two therapists at the same time. If you are paying out of pocket, you could technically have two therapists although they might not go along with that.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:35 PM   #9
Thunder Bow
Elder

Thunder Bow is a Medicine Man

5 yr Member
1 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

The sharing of experiences and feelings in a group setting is Therapy, thus all members are a Therapist in their own way. Each you can learn from.

www.lightningthunderbow.com
Thunder Bow is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 11-13-2017, 05:38 PM   #10
amandalouise
Wise Elder

8 yr Member
641 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Bow View Post
The sharing of experiences and feelings in a group setting is Therapy, thus all members are a Therapist in their own way. Each you can learn from.
Im glad your state allows non professionals without credentials to act like therapists in group settings here in NY thats grounds for all kinds of criminal charges, not to mention the agency running the therapy group, allowing group members to be called therapists or act as each others therapists runs the risk of losing their licenses for allowing potential harm to happen to mentally ill people.. here in ny people cant call their self or act in a professional situation as a professional with out the credentials...

Im not saying members of a therapy group cant share their stories with each other and support each other as members in the same group. but as a therapist that doesnt happen here in NY.

we do have peer to peer programs here but no one in there is acting as each others therapists. they are there just because they have been through the same things, they have common ground.

my point here where I am there is a difference in language and standards... therapy groups are where a licensed therapist runs and teachers the group of people who have the same problems. the term students /peers/ clients are what the non professional people in the room are called.

in support groups there are students/ peers/ friends and sometimes relatives who get together to talk in a non professional way about their life, problems, diseases and disorders. no one acts like a therapist for each other here in NY.

again Im glad Arizona (your profile location) allows for non professionals to get together in a room and act as each others therapists.I personally would not go to such a group where someone was pretending/ acting as if they were my therapist telling me all the things my therapist with the legal distinction of therapist does for and with me. scarey stuff in my opinion having people act as if therapists for each other when they are not....