Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Health & Other Support > Health Support > Exercise & Weight Loss



advertisement
Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 07-05-2017, 08:57 PM   #1
Poohbah
 
PsychNitrous's Avatar
PsychNitrous has no updates.
 
Member Since: Feb 2016
Location: At Home
Posts: 1,129 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood:

103 hugs
given
Default Trying to stay motivated

I want to lose weight. I really need to lose weight. I've been overweight for as long as I can remember, and it only has gotten worse since my arthritis started. At least before then I could work out and try, but once the pain started I could barely move. Finally, 10 years later and I have a diagnosis, medication, and most of my range of motion.

I look at pictures to motivate me, of women with the body that I want to have. These days it makes me want to cry, not try harder. I can persist for a few days, sometimes a week or longer. But eventually I get depressed again, and the motivation fades. I've been feeling badly lately, and I just can't get motivated to move. I've been eating poorly and I know I've gained weight. I want to get back into my workout routine, but I don't want to do anything. I try to look at pictures to motivate me, but they just make me sad. I don't know how to push myself to keep going.
PsychNitrous is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Unread 07-05-2017, 09:23 PM   #2
Legendary
 
Angelique67's Avatar
Angelique67 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Oct 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 15,153 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood:

2 yr Member PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Trying to stay motivated

Hi PN, I heard some expert on TV say that the key is to find an activity you actually enjoy for exercise. It's true for me. At first I started swimming, and then after a.break with that while I had eye surgery, I started just walking. And I never quite went back to swimming, I don't remember why. But I think it's pretty solid advice.
Angelique67 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 07-05-2017, 10:04 PM   #3
Poohbah
 
PsychNitrous's Avatar
PsychNitrous has no updates.
 
Member Since: Feb 2016
Location: At Home
Posts: 1,129 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood:

103 hugs
given
Default Re: Trying to stay motivated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelique67 View Post
Hi PN, I heard some expert on TV say that the key is to find an activity you actually enjoy for exercise. It's true for me. At first I started swimming, and then after a.break with that while I had eye surgery, I started just walking. And I never quite went back to swimming, I don't remember why. But I think it's pretty solid advice.
I've heard that advice a lot too. I try. I love biking, but my strength isn't back to normal enough to go outside and bike, so I have a stationary bike. It helps that I can read or watch TV to get a little distracted while I exercise. I wish I could afford a gym membership again. I used to love swimming and using the elliptical and treadmill.
PsychNitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 07-05-2017, 11:55 PM   #4
Legendary
 
Angelique67's Avatar
Angelique67 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Oct 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 15,153 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood:

2 yr Member PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Trying to stay motivated

I agree, it does help to have distractions while you do a workout on a machine. If I can let my mind wander it goes faster.
Angelique67 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 07-13-2017, 01:23 PM   #5
New Member
sunnyblu Stressed
 
Member Since: Jun 2012
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5
My Mood:

5 yr Member
Default Re: Trying to stay motivated

I have the same problem. I know what I NEED to do, but either can't make myself start or can't stick with it more than a week or so. I used to be better at it. However, I am trying to use social media and online support groups more to be motivated.
Also, instead of looking at women you wish you look at, maybe only find women's photos where they have posted their real before and after photos - that might be more motivating - where you can see what they were like before they reached that ideal weight or shape.
I've also heard the advice to find an activity you like. Unfortunately, my favorite "activities" are not very ACTIVE LOL. But, I do enjoy walking and playing with my dogs. So one thing I am going to do is be more active with my dogs. Especially one of them. She is high energy and needs the activity as much as I do. She loves to play chase with me and I need to NOT think about how I look running around, and just do it! Good luck!
sunnyblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2017, 06:17 AM   #6
Poohbah
 
PsychNitrous's Avatar
PsychNitrous has no updates.
 
Member Since: Feb 2016
Location: At Home
Posts: 1,129 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood:

103 hugs
given
Default Re: Trying to stay motivated

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyblu View Post
I have the same problem. I know what I NEED to do, but either can't make myself start or can't stick with it more than a week or so. I used to be better at it. However, I am trying to use social media and online support groups more to be motivated.
Also, instead of looking at women you wish you look at, maybe only find women's photos where they have posted their real before and after photos - that might be more motivating - where you can see what they were like before they reached that ideal weight or shape.
I've also heard the advice to find an activity you like. Unfortunately, my favorite "activities" are not very ACTIVE LOL. But, I do enjoy walking and playing with my dogs. So one thing I am going to do is be more active with my dogs. Especially one of them. She is high energy and needs the activity as much as I do. She loves to play chase with me and I need to NOT think about how I look running around, and just do it! Good luck!
I do see quite a few before and after pictures. They seem to have the same effect on me, in terms of wishing I could do that too.

Take advantage of the time you have to be active like that with your dogs, you're lucky to have it. I wish I could run around with my boyfriend's dog. She would love the attention, and I'd have a good challenge to keep up with!
PsychNitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2017, 06:21 AM   #7
Poohbah
 
PsychNitrous's Avatar
PsychNitrous has no updates.
 
Member Since: Feb 2016
Location: At Home
Posts: 1,129 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood:

103 hugs
given
Default Re: Trying to stay motivated

I'm not sure this is so much about motivation. I feel like giving up on trying to lose weight right now. I use the site My Fitness Pal to track my calories and exercise, and at the end of every day it tells you what you'll likely weigh in 5 weeks if every day were like that day. My days don't vary much, and it always says I should be down about 20 lbs in 5 weeks. Well, it's been several months and I'm not anywhere near that weight. I can't see an answer to this anymore.
PsychNitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Unread 07-17-2017, 06:31 AM   #8
Grand Poohbah
 
scaredandconfused's Avatar
scaredandconfused taking things one day at a time
 
Member Since: Jan 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,587
My Mood:

3 yr Member
1,222 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Trying to stay motivated

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychNitrous View Post
I'm not sure this is so much about motivation. I feel like giving up on trying to lose weight right now. I use the site My Fitness Pal to track my calories and exercise, and at the end of every day it tells you what you'll likely weigh in 5 weeks if every day were like that day. My days don't vary much, and it always says I should be down about 20 lbs in 5 weeks. Well, it's been several months and I'm not anywhere near that weight. I can't see an answer to this anymore.
I know weight loss is the main goal of yours, but why not change that? What if your main goals were to eat healthy and exercise because it helps with your mood? Focusing too much on the numbers takes away from the good choices you're making for your body by eating healthily and moving regularly.

How often do you weigh yourself? Weight can fluctuate naturally for many reasons so doing so every single day is unnecessary, once a week is just fine. (In the morning preferably, when you are at your lightest).
scaredandconfused is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2017, 07:14 AM   #9
Poohbah
 
PsychNitrous's Avatar
PsychNitrous has no updates.
 
Member Since: Feb 2016
Location: At Home
Posts: 1,129 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood:

103 hugs
given
Default Re: Trying to stay motivated

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredandconfused View Post
I know weight loss is the main goal of yours, but why not change that? What if your main goals were to eat healthy and exercise because it helps with your mood? Focusing too much on the numbers takes away from the good choices you're making for your body by eating healthily and moving regularly.

How often do you weigh yourself? Weight can fluctuate naturally for many reasons so doing so every single day is unnecessary, once a week is just fine. (In the morning preferably, when you are at your lightest).
I am guilty of weighing myself daily. I started with the excuse that I was trying to track some sort of pattern, but now it's just a habit. I'm not sure if it's really a bad one, I'm not so good at remembering weekly tasks sometimes.

I'm not sure that I really know how to eat healthy, without it costing too much anyway. I've always been so much more focused on how many calories I'm eating, and maybe that's becoming a problem. Even if I'm under my goals, eating unhealthy food is worse than eating something that's good for me. I think I get stuck in ruts with exercise too. There's only so much I can do, because of physical problems, and eventually I either get bored or my body gets used to what I'm doing.
PsychNitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

« My plan | - »
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® — Copyright © 2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

advertisement

 

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice,
diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider.
Always consult your doctor or mental health professional before trying anything you read here.

 

HomeAbout UsContact UsPrivacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer
Forums HomeCommunity GuidelinesHelp

Helplines and Lifelines