Elder

Mountaindewed I like eggs.

My Mood: Weight Loss and exercise

2 yr Member
50 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Weight Loss and exercise

I was 163.2 this afternoon. I had some French onion soup right before which probably had a lot of sodium. Iím guessing on Sunday morning Iíll be 159.8.

Does anyone know where I can talk to a reliable nutritionist or a dietitian? I donít know what the difference is. I donít need one right now. I need one when I am ready to maintain. I obviously canít maintain on 1,200 calories. I really have no idea how to do it. Iíve looked at calculators online and I donít think I need 2,1200 calories to maintain 135 pounds. I donít have a doctor. I have a therapist who is also a nurse but she has no idea whatís sheís talking about and you will not believe the stuff that spews out of her mouth when it comes to counting to calories and weight loss. She thinks that all intentional healthy weight loss will lead to eating disorders and other things like that. Does Medicare pay for a session with a dietiction or should I be looking at a fitness center or park district type thing? I just need one session since i donít know what Iím doing. One session shouldnít be that much money I should think.

advertisement
Old 10-05-2018, 04:14 PM   #972
UpDownAround
Magnate

UpDownAround is woke!

493 hugs
given

Stayed just under 1500 calories yesterday, no exercise. Probably will go over at dinner tonight, but there is a 24 hour fitness center where I am staying and I will exercise later.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:31 PM   #973
Marylin
Grand Poohbah

Marylin has no updates.

3 yr Member
743 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I am 279 pounds.I started my diet on wednesday,sticking to between 1000 calories and 1400 calories a day.On tuesday next week I start yoga classes and I will do other exercise too.I am diabetic since 2003 but it has been badly controlled for years,so have stopped all sugary treats and drinks.I hope to lose half my body weight.
Old 10-06-2018, 01:10 AM   #974
Tucson
Magnate
Tucson Anxious and a bit paranoid

3 yr Member
12 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

My weight is about 171 pounds from what I remember. My previous shortage amounted to 1100 calories. My target is 2200 calories for this day of no exercise. I have consumed 2692 calories. So I am over by 492 calories. This offsets the previous shortage by about one half. I will exercise tomorrow.
Old 10-06-2018, 06:32 AM   #975
seesaw
Human

seesaw grieving

3 yr Member
641 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Omg, this is super frustrating...I have tracked every calorie for the past week and had an 1000 deficit each day, worked out nearly every day and on days off did low impact walking to keep up the calorie burn, and the scale says I gained weight! I will say that I can distinctly feel me clothes a little less tight and a lot stronger, so I'm hoping it's just a reaction of shock from my body and if I keep at it, the number will start to drop. And no, I'm not cheating, I track every calorie religiously. In and out.

I don't need any advice or suggestions, just venting my frustration. This can be normal to have to fight your body for a bit to get out of its comfort zone. Trying to examine the macros in my diet to see if I can adjust things there and make a difference.
Old 10-06-2018, 11:03 AM   #976
Tucson
Magnate
Tucson Anxious and a bit paranoid

3 yr Member
12 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

My weight is 172 pounds. Today I will stipulate that my earlier shortfall of calories have been met by yesterdays overage. I am going to exercise today. I have measured my body fat with a caliper. Earlier, using photos on the Net, I had determined it to be about 20%. I am now using the Jackson Pollock 3 ďpointĒ method with the caliper. The more ďpointsĒ that are used on the body, the more accurate this method is. For any more accuracy. I would require another person to help me. The percent body fat calculated in this way is 21. I think body fat measurements are more useful than tape measurements of the body. My $5 caliper with some practice makes this doable.

For my particular case, I think this figure is a bit misleading. I do have a comparatively small measurement of fat at my thighs. However, most of the fat is in my abdomen, and the rest at my chest area. The problem is that Risperidone has arificially increased my breast size. I think this is causing erroneous results when the model of a man is used in the calculations. The Jackson Pollock 4 point method does not use a chest measurement. However, I now need the help of another person.

Last edited by Tucson; 10-06-2018 at 02:29 PM..
Old 10-06-2018, 01:24 PM   #977
Mountaindewed
Elder

Mountaindewed I like eggs.

2 yr Member
50 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I just weighed myself a few minutes ago. My weight was 162.6 and it is early afternoon. So I am most likely below 160. Iíll see tommrow morning. I usually wear bigger size 8 pants or size 10 but today my smaller size 8 fit again. My hoodies are bigger then when I got them in the summer too.
Old 10-06-2018, 02:36 PM   #978
seesaw
Human

seesaw grieving

3 yr Member
641 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Struggling a little bit because I really want a day of doing absolutely nothing, but then I end up hating those days...like I've had enough days of doing nothing for a lifetime, plus, it's not like I'm doing nothing with someone, which is far different than doing nothing alone. Nothing with someone can be relaxing and fun...nothing alone is literally nothing. I end up asleep.
Old 10-06-2018, 03:45 PM   #979
zapatoes
Veteran Member

zapatoes Mood: Ok

378 hugs
given

Donít worry about day to day weight differences of a pound or two unless have health concerns such as kidney disease or congestive heart failure where increased weight is a health concern. Focus on long term goal of healthier habits such as cutting back on empty calories such sweetened drinks, eat less fast food, and gradually increase walking on a daily basis. Short term goals are good to help make changes for the long term and can include this week make a goal of fast food once or twice and healthier or homemade foods more often. Add fruit once per day if previously not eating it all for a goal on the second week.
Old 10-07-2018, 07:40 AM   #980
UpDownAround
Magnate

UpDownAround is woke!

493 hugs
given

Was doing great yesterday until I had one of my usual issues - snacking after dinner. I think I ended up only 300 over goal and goal is a deficit so not terrible. Lots of estimation on consumption and burn. I feel pretty sure I will still be in maintenance range when I weigh back at home on Tuesday.

I agree about the long term habits. Don't cut things you plan to eat again once you hit goal; just be careful about portions and having things too often. The only thing that has worked for me is tracking as accurately as possible. If you eat less calories than you burn, you lose weight. If you eat more calories than you burn you gain weight. All strategies end up adjusting calories whether you count them or not. No diet counteracts physics. No diet lowers or increases metabolism enough to make a significant difference. Knowing the score works better for me - total calories in the right range, making sure I get enough protein and a few veggies in there.

After losing over 65 pounds, I have now maintained a BMI below 25 for over 7 months. It has been around 35 years since I was last at a healthy weight and in good shape for more than a brief period at the end of a crash diet and even then it wasn't really a true healthy weight.

How I eat is the major determining factor for what I weigh. How much exercise and what kind is the major determining factor for how fit I am. Trying to exercise away pounds usually fails. "Eating healthy" (which has about a million meanings depending on what you believe) will not improve your fitness.

A word of warning to those working on loss - maintenance has been almost as hard as losing, maybe harder. If you crash diet to lose, then maintenance is harder still because you don't know how. I just slowly allowed larger portions of some things and other things more often. I didn't have to change what I eat. But it's a commitment for life. I know I can get away with splurges and make up for them, but it could easily get out of hand; I used to binge. I don't get much positive feedback anymore. People were cheering me on and encouraging me when I was losing and congratulating me when I hit goal. Now this size and fitness level is the norm and almost no one else realizes how hard it is to maintain. Don't get me wrong - I love the new me. I enjoy a lot more things and have better odds of living a long and healthy life. It is completely worth the effort, but there is a lot of effort.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Closed Thread