Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > >

advertisement

Old 10-13-2018, 04:29 PM   #1
Soybeans
Soybeans has no updates.

2 hugs
given
Default Is true recovery ever possible?

Do you believe that there is a tipping point in recovery where you can be considered 'recovered' and the chances of ever relapsing are slim to none, or do you believe that recovery is a lifelong goal you have to work at and maintain? I have days where I think I'm more recovered and then I think about how much simpler life was with the eating disorder, how black and white things were, and a part of me literally YEARNS for it. Will I ever be rid of this?
Soybeans is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Old 10-13-2018, 08:38 PM   #2
LucyD
Poohbah

LucyD Can't wait till 2019!

My Mood: Is true recovery ever possible?

3 yr Member
1,262 hugs
given
Default Re: Is true recovery ever possible?

I think we recover but need to keep on the same path we took while recovering. I also think that life will seem easier in time with the new path when we appreciate ourselves for all we have done for ourselves and how good that can feel. However, relapse is a factor that most encounter. It's important to not feel hopeless after a relapse even though that happens; we can remember there is always hope and we can get better again by doing what we did before to get better again.

OCD mixed in with PTSD, Formerly Bulimic for 25 years, Recovering from Binge Eating Disorder, Major Depressive Disorder, Bipolar Disorder Type 2, Recovering from Substance Abuse, Tourette's Syndrome, NASH, Cirrhosis of the Liver, Osteoarthritis, Diabetes Type 2, Lung Nodules, Survivor

Risperidone-1 mg, Gabapentin-900 mg, Melatonin-5 mg., Primidone-25 mg., Nicotine Lozenges-2 mg., Vape Liquid-3 mg.
LucyD is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 10-13-2018, 10:15 PM   #3
Blue_Bird
Legendary

Blue_Bird is ready for change!

5 yr Member
4,299 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I feel like it's a life long journey, I know I'll always have a desire to be very thin but I'm at the point where recovery is my only option and I'm motivated to keep it up. I may develop better thoughts regarding weight and body image but there's always that temptation present, sometimes more so than other times

R.I.P mom 8/6/55-1/15/16
Blue_Bird is online now   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 10-14-2018, 12:22 AM   #4
rebeka
rebeka is functioning!!

103 hugs
given

no. im sorry. I cant see myself as recovred. ever.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:51 PM   #5
Blueberrybook
Magnate

Blueberrybook has no updates.

72 hugs
given

Not ever 100%, at least not for me. Maybe for some others. Even doing well, at a stable weight, not having relapsed for years, having fewer ED thoughts, it never has completely gone away for me...sigh. I do get to points where I have fewer ED thoughts/ED guilt, and definitely many times where I don't act on ED thinking, but it always lurks.

Festers and then comes out again when life gets hard. I was diagnosed at 19, and I am 40 now, struggling out of a relapse due to tons of stress right now...

And I never think I'm thin enough.

I feel guilt every New Year's Eve when I don't make a New Year's Resolution to diet and exercise like everyone on Facebook is doing, the large jump in walkers and joggers in my neighborhood, all the weight loss ads on TV and the radio. Ugh.

Bupropion XL 150 mg, Seroquel 500 mg, Lamictal 400 mg, Clonazepam 1 mg 4/day, Clonidine 0.3 mg, Propanolol 10 mg 3/day, Buspar 30 mg 2/day, Adderall 40 mg, Trazodone 25 mg, Protonix 20 mg (ulcer) , Gabapentin 600 mg (fibro), Tizandine 4 mg 4/day (fibro)

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
--Robert Frost
Blueberrybook is offline   Reply With Quote