Old 01-30-2019, 05:40 AM #11

Michael W. Harris has no updates.

2 yr Member
130 hugs
given
Default Re: Could be simple!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
I do not think it is helpful to..sorta trivialize this mental health issue by saying that it should be cured as fast as possible or that long term therapy is dragging it out. In fact I am not understanding why you bring up lawyers and legal stuff. Since when do therapists claim they can cure this or other mental health issues? You can treat it but this is usually part of an ongoing process because there are no cures. Maybe you are lucky enough to have remission but usually you need to maintain a regimen of meds/therapy or even just therapy. If you have found the cure please share it.
I started seeking treatment for my mental health problems after a divorce in 1991. All the psychologists and psychiatrists that I paid had good bed-side manner. They were very polite. They totally disrespected me as a human, individual, and person with two engineering degrees.

Even after I had read all the books on dissociative disorders and even paid ten thousand dollars, out of pocket, to stay in the Charter Clinic in Plano, Texas for a week, most mental health professionals totally refused to talk to me about this mental illness. (I had been told by Dr. Colin Ross's staff/nurses that he was not taking anymore patients. They said he was helping the Charter set up a program for treating dissociative disorders. I mistakenly thought he would be involved in the treatment. These highly paid mental health professionals never talked to me about the abuses/trauma that I experienced during my childhood!!!! That is the etiology of the mental illness! You say that these people are not trying to drag treatment out.)

No. Legal oversight is extremely necessary to fix the mental health system. I do not care if it is prosecutions or law suits, but legal oversight is needed.

Some people are on disability for mental health problems. I understand that talking about cures terrifies these people. I never wanted disability. I wanted to be able to work and have a significant other without the affects of this mental illness.
Michael W. Harris is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 01-30-2019, 07:10 AM #12
Anonymous48690

Anonymous48690
Anonymous48690 has no updates. Edit

Idk, everyone just thinks that I have a crappy memory not remembering my life and carries on like that just me.

I also believe that everyone is so wrapped up in their own life that if you arenít bothersome to their physical and mental well being, they will keep you around till you do bother them. The only time a person would care or listen is when you pay them to: hence therapy.

So since this is the norm, I just donít talk to anyone about it and let them laugh as they think that Iím either funny/goofball/oversmart person.

Like anybody really cares.

Last edited by Anonymous48690; 01-30-2019 at 07:47 AM.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Hugs from:
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 02-01-2019, 02:16 PM #13

2 yr Member
130 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael W. Harris View Post
I started seeking treatment for my mental health problems after a divorce in 1991. All the psychologists and psychiatrists that I paid had good bed-side manner. They were very polite. They totally disrespected me as a human, individual, and person with two engineering degrees.

Even after I had read all the books on dissociative disorders and even paid ten thousand dollars, out of pocket, to stay in the Charter Clinic in Plano, Texas for a week, most mental health professionals totally refused to talk to me about this mental illness. (I had been told by Dr. Colin Ross's staff/nurses that he was not taking anymore patients. They said he was helping the Charter set up a program for treating dissociative disorders. I mistakenly thought he would be involved in the treatment. These highly paid mental health professionals never talked to me about the abuses/trauma that I experienced during my childhood!!!! That is the etiology of the mental illness! You say that these people are not trying to drag treatment out.)

No. Legal oversight is extremely necessary to fix the mental health system. I do not care if it is prosecutions or law suits, but legal oversight is needed.

Some people are on disability for mental health problems. I understand that talking about cures terrifies these people. I never wanted disability. I wanted to be able to work and have a significant other without the affects of this mental illness.
Sorry, should be effects, noun, not affects, verb.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:39 PM #14

AB2371 Editing

2 yr Member
156 hugs
given

effect is also a verb. to be fair, I think your approach to this issue is more than compromising. it is the plan of action that is the difficult part

Believe, Listen, Earn, Think, Try, Love
AB2371 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:02 PM #15

2 yr Member
130 hugs
given

I am sixty-three now. I am in an assisted living facility for poor veterans. I will never be normal. I will never get any closure on this mental illness now. I have never had anyone to talk to about this mental illness. Posting on this site is it!

My Mom and Brother messed me up so bad as a child I did not have a clue that I was being abused. My Mom began telling me that it was normal for older brothers to "pick-on" their younger brothers when I was about two to two and one-half. By the time I was five I totally believed that it was normal for my brother to abuse me. My Dad was a work-a-holic medical doctor. He would not have tolerated any serious physical abuse of me but he did not pay attention to anything else. In fact he never talked to me at all.

So I had no adult to protect me or to explain the situation to me. I know that if I could have removed my emotions from the situation my brothers physical abuse would not have traumatized me so badly!

It never entered my brain to tell a preacher, teacher, or another adult that I was being abused. I totally shut down.

So now I am bitter about my family, life, and I am seriously mad at the mental health professions. Can't help it.
Hugs from:
Old 02-19-2019, 03:28 AM #16
Grand Poohbah

Grand Poohbah
sarahsweets Humor is my end game..

102 hugs
given

Are you mad at your brother and mother as much as the mental health field?

President of the no F's given society.
sarahsweets is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:04 AM #17
Anonymous48690

Anonymous48690
Anonymous48690 has no updates. Edit

In AA, resentment is the number one offender as to why an alcoholic drinks and that there are 12 little steps to erase such resentments, but granted there are those that canít let go of the past, that thrive on the angst, or just too plain lazy to go seek help.

You may have or have not tried it idk...but it has helped me to get past resentments. I still drink, but not with the hope of killing myself. Today itís because some alters donít want to quit to ease their pain of the past...to go numb. Some thinks itís fun, but I have to deal with the aftermath in the morning which is no fun, but like I havenít a million times already, kinda like the norm around here. I often ask the others to try to stop drinking, but every morning the same old sick feeling.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote