advertisement

Old 11-08-2018, 10:22 PM   #11
Betty_Banana

Betty_Banana has no updates.

5 yr Member
98 hugs
given
Default Re: I think we might have another alter

Now I'm curious how often DID and other dissociative disorders are diagnosed and treated in childhood.Also curious whether it's easier to treat/recover from at a young age.

I suppose I should have started a new thread about this but didn't.
Betty_Banana is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Old 11-09-2018, 08:02 AM   #12
AlwaysChanging2
Elder

AlwaysChanging2 has no updates.

My Mood: I think we might have another alter

3 yr Member
3,801 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Back in my early years (now 50) DID was MPD and there wasnít much written about the subject. MI wasnít much of a teachers concern obviously because I was scooted through unnoticed: an introvert shy and afraid of people, confused,...

Iíd often go mindless, tranced, day dreaming, switching, dazed.

I donít magine it got much better in recent years unless you were a trouble maker like a child that has ADHD does (my son)....they sure are quick to diagnose them and get them on drugs fast. But, if you were quiet and non threatening- you slip through.

I feel like DID is an iceberg and all you can see is the tip, that there is more than you can see...at least thatís how I feel when looking at my case.
AlwaysChanging2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 12:46 PM   #13
amandalouise
Wise Elder

amandalouise thank gosh for generators

8 yr Member
676 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty_Banana View Post
I agree that they are documented but things like not paying attention,daydreaming,etc.are a far cry from any documentation of switching or specific alters.In my old report cards and letters from the schools there's things which in hindsight were obvious dissociative problems but at the time were not looked upon in that way.The average teacher,principal,etc doesn't normally even know what dissociation is let alone to suspect it or document it.My school called in a psychologist to talk with me and he never suspected dissociation or DID.He just said I had "behavior" problems.

I think you said before that you weren't diagnosed until you were in college(?) so for you,as well as most people,talking to the school one attended as a young child wouldn't be of much help in finding out about alters as you suggested.It might bring some clarity in hindsight but that's about it.It doesn't really help anything in the here and now.

It's sad that your school did suspect dissociation,which is a rarity and you didn't receive the help or get the proper diagnosis until years later.
yes I was diagnosed in college with DID.

back when I was in elementary school (the 1980's) daydreaming was a symptom of many things including MPD (now called DID). back then the diagnostics were not what they are today and the other accompanying symptoms were not what they are today. Back in the 1980's daydreaming was called dissociation, Which is one reason why I was not diagnosed MPD as a child.

they did document that I seemed like one person one moment and the next but my location has a rule that there are some diagnosis's that are not placed on the child MPD was one that children in my location do not get diagnosis for. just like some locations do not diagnose a child with bipolar disorder or schizophrenia.

I'm not saying look in your elementary files for a ........"diagnosis"........

Im saying it would be documented in the sense of the problems that come with having DID. .

complaints of numbness, spacing out (which used to include daydreaming) disconnected (again used to considered possible daydreaming on the older standards) memory problems beyond the normal, feelings of depersonalization derealization, acting out in ways not characteristic of the child, all these things a school will document.

DID is not something that just begins in adulthood and never have problems their whole life.

its the opposite. it begins before the age of 5 and so do all the problems related to having it. getting a diagnosis just puts a name on whats already going on.

if the original poster does have a sexual alter then everything that happens because of having this alter would have been happening since before the age of 5.

So Im saying check the files to see if there are any indications in the files about sexual issues. to be blunt most teachers and school officials would notice and document a child holding one self or other sexual activity that could point to possible home and physical/ mental health problems.

DID alters dont just take control at home in ones own bedroom. it happens in all aspects of a persons life. so school is a great resource for looking to see if todays problems happened back then too.

thats what I am saying. the orginal poster thinks there may be a sexual alter they havent known about before. if there is a sexual alter there are ways to find out. check your childhood files for things that point to that or not.
amandalouise is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 11-09-2018, 12:59 PM   #14
amandalouise
Wise Elder

amandalouise thank gosh for generators

8 yr Member
676 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betty_Banana View Post
Now I'm curious how often DID and other dissociative disorders are diagnosed and treated in childhood.Also curious whether it's easier to treat/recover from at a young age.

I suppose I should have started a new thread about this but didn't.
some locations limit what diagnosis's can be used on children in that location. many places in my state do not diagnose DID in childhood. just like they dont usually diagnose Bipolar disorder in children in my location.

regardless of diagnosis the treatment is the same. teach the child to focus on things outside their self (grounding, breathing, meditation, medicine for anxiety and others just like with adults) work on problem areas like behaviors,

it is actually harder for children because they dont have the mental concepts and logic that adults do. you cant just tell a child that voice in their head is an alternate personality and how the brain created that alter by this that and the other thing physically and mentally and... well think about all the different questions you have had over the years of your adulthood that have been answered for you including all that you went though with integration of your alters if you are integrated ( I cant remember who is and isnt with out going back to reread your posts ) now think about trying to explain all of that to a child and have them understand everything.

children just dont have the ability to understand the abuse they went through that created their alters let alone the mechanics of mental disorders and healing from this.
amandalouise is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 11-09-2018, 05:59 PM   #15
Amyjay
Grand Poohbah
Amyjay has no updates.

447 hugs
given

Well goodness me, how bizarre things can be sometimes. I agree Betty Banana, that extreme behaviors are the ones most likely to be recorded and noted. In my school years there were many comments and notes recorded about my inconsistencies from one day to the next, and the very obvious changes in my output level. It is extremely doubtful that a single teacher of mine thought, for even a fleeting second "Oh, I wonder if this is a symptom of a dissociative disorder?" Goodness no, back in the 90s and in the the first decade of this century even they would have known very little about dissociative disorders other than what they might have heard in the media about MPD and false memory syndrome. If there had even been anyone around to educate teachers about dissociative disorders at that point the social climate was such that I doubt they would have believed it anyway.

Part of my work now is in schools and I doubt teachers would know much of anything about dissociative disorders even now, let alone what the symptoms look like. I will ask next time I go in to a school. Given that so many therapists still don't believe in DID I just can't imagine that teachers are educated about it or know what to look for or know to refer a child for an assessment for it!
Amyjay is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 11-10-2018, 11:17 AM   #16
dlantern
Grand Member
dlantern has no updates.

8 hugs
given

there is hair nails makeup game and talking if male there are several suppport areas can be a blessing. Just know everyone ISNT sexual some are asexual and will get jealous!
dlantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 11:20 AM   #17
dlantern
Grand Member
dlantern has no updates.

8 hugs
given

Trigger Warning....

What ever the medical term is we are talking those being torn out from the fram e those areas. So don't be so selfish if you find a way to make sexual be a blessing in the bedroom dont blame dont judge it is needed for a reason...Once you get trauma to stay around and find sex safe in some capacity then do so. Dont worry about young kids counting score cards that is why i'm careful at my famous ones that only counting the honey count....Allow them to stay away it will come in droves they will ruin it for you to some degree
dlantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 12:18 PM   #18
Betty_Banana

Betty_Banana has no updates.

5 yr Member
98 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandalouise View Post
yes I was diagnosed in college with DID.

back when I was in elementary school (the 1980's) daydreaming was a symptom of many things including MPD (now called DID). back then the diagnostics were not what they are today and the other accompanying symptoms were not what they are today. Back in the 1980's daydreaming was called dissociation, Which is one reason why I was not diagnosed MPD as a child.

they did document that I seemed like one person one moment and the next but my location has a rule that there are some diagnosis's that are not placed on the child MPD was one that children in my location do not get diagnosis for. just like some locations do not diagnose a child with bipolar disorder or schizophrenia.

I'm not saying look in your elementary files for a ........"diagnosis"........

Im saying it would be documented in the sense of the problems that come with having DID. .

complaints of numbness, spacing out (which used to include daydreaming) disconnected (again used to considered possible daydreaming on the older standards) memory problems beyond the normal, feelings of depersonalization derealization, acting out in ways not characteristic of the child, all these things a school will document.

DID is not something that just begins in adulthood and never have problems their whole life.

its the opposite. it begins before the age of 5 and so do all the problems related to having it. getting a diagnosis just puts a name on whats already going on.

if the original poster does have a sexual alter then everything that happens because of having this alter would have been happening since before the age of 5.

So Im saying check the files to see if there are any indications in the files about sexual issues. to be blunt most teachers and school officials would notice and document a child holding one self or other sexual activity that could point to possible home and physical/ mental health problems.

DID alters dont just take control at home in ones own bedroom. it happens in all aspects of a persons life. so school is a great resource for looking to see if todays problems happened back then too.

thats what I am saying. the orginal poster thinks there may be a sexual alter they havent known about before. if there is a sexual alter there are ways to find out. check your childhood files for things that point to that or not.
Thanks for explaining.I guess I interpreted your post as meaning if the OP wanted to find out about the specific sexual alter they were curious about to find out from their school.I guess it was in the way your worded your post that had me confused.

I agree with what you say,that there would have been signs and other issues in childhood that point to DID.And it is helpful,in hindsight,to check into past records.I wasn't trying to debate that,was just saying it's not likely anyone could find out about specific alters,switching,etc.in the present by doing so,which was what I thought you were trying to say.
Betty_Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says: