advertisement

Old 11-03-2018, 05:23 PM   #1
Michael W. Harris

Michael W. Harris has no updates.

2 yr Member
130 hugs
given
Default Medicine not switching!

I have learned that it was the medicine that I was taking that caused me to have black-outs at the local pubs.

I was taking "omniprozol" (spelling?). Before when I managed my own medicines I only took this drug as needed for acid reflux. But when I moved back into the Veterans Domiciliary, the staff began managing my meds. So I have taken this drug every day for a year and three months. It never entered my brain that this drug would have serious side effects. I felt like crap the whole time. I had dizzy spells, head aches, chest pain, a dry cough, etc. I thought I was developing diabetes. I thought that maybe I was developing cancer.

Finally, when I knew that I only had eight to twelve beers and still had a black-out, I realized it was that medicine and I have stopped taking it. The drug somehow magnifies the effects of alcohol. I feel stupid for thinking that I was switching. I could still have switched but it was the drug that triggered it.
Michael W. Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:

advertisement
Old 11-03-2018, 07:51 PM   #2
Amyjay
Grand Poohbah
Amyjay has no updates.

502 hugs
given
Default Re: Medicine not switching!

Very interesting, but not surprising. Your descriptions of your blackouts after drinking did seem different somehow from dissociative switching.
Do you still have blackouts occurring after drinking (or at other times) now that you are off those meds? Have you had time to validate your theory?
Amyjay is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 11-03-2018, 07:54 PM   #3
downandlonely
Poohbah
Chat Moderator
downandlonely has no updates.

I'm wondering what you mean when you said you had "only" eight to twelve beers. Drinking that much would cause me to black out even if I wasn't taking any medicine. You might want to cut back on alcohol. It's very bad for depression and physical health as well.
downandlonely is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 11-03-2018, 09:30 PM   #4
AlwaysChanging2
Elder
AlwaysChanging2 has no updates.

3 yr Member
3,859 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I had that script but was taking rantidine instead...so I threw it away.

Glad you figured it out.
AlwaysChanging2 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 11-04-2018, 08:07 AM   #5
MickeyCheeky
Wise Elder

MickeyCheeky My echo is the only voice coming back

My Mood: Medicine not switching!

2 yr Member
26.7k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Isn't that a lot of beer? Not saying that you're wrong, but perhaps consider that as well.
MickeyCheeky is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 11-04-2018, 09:32 AM   #6
amandalouise
Wise Elder

amandalouise has no updates.

10 yr Member
744 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

yea I agree with the others who talked about maybe limiting your alcohol.

I have been on prilosec (your word omeprizole) for a very long time. it does not cause a person to black out.

this medication is a special medication that works in the stomach. in laymans terms the human stomach has these glands, some people call them acid producing pumps. the prilosec just makes it so that the stomach does not make the acid to digest food and drinks. with these glands/ acid producing pumps turned off nothing happens. the food and drinks pass through the stomach to the next part of the digestive process.

when I go out with my wife or friends and drink while taking this medication all that happens is the alcohol passes through my body faster. I end up visiting the restroom more frequently.

when I have blacked out it wasnt the medications it was the alcohol as in drinking to much alcohol in a short amount of time.

if you are having alcohol related blackouts, (black outs while on meds and consuming alcohol, or consuming alcohol regardless of any meds or no meds) there is treatment for it.....its called limit alcohol intake. instead of instead of having 6-8 beers have one, instead of mixing drinks stick with only one of one. there is also medication that makes drinking taste bad that can help those who have a problem with black outs to stop drinking entirely.

since you and your body cant mix omeprazole and alcohol, my suggestions is be very very careful. since usually this doesnt cause black outs and it does for you, that points to you may be the kind of person that cant take any meds and drink alcohol with out risking an alcohol black out. you might have to consider whether to stop drinking permanently or until you no longer need medications of any kind.

here is an informative link about omeprazole Omeprazole Oral : Uses, Side Effects, Interactions, Pictures, Warnings & Dosing - WebMD
amandalouise is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 11-04-2018, 02:12 PM   #7
Michael W. Harris

2 yr Member
130 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amyjay View Post
Very interesting, but not surprising. Your descriptions of your blackouts after drinking did seem different somehow from dissociative switching.
Do you still have blackouts occurring after drinking (or at other times) now that you are off those meds? Have you had time to validate your theory?
Not yet. In a few weeks I will experiment. This past Monday I did go in to the Long Branch. But I only stayed for two hours. I told the bar tender that I had to be careful because I had only been off the drug for five or six days.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 11-04-2018, 02:14 PM   #8
Michael W. Harris

2 yr Member
130 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by downandlonely View Post
I'm wondering what you mean when you said you had "only" eight to twelve beers. Drinking that much would cause me to black out even if I wasn't taking any medicine. You might want to cut back on alcohol. It's very bad for depression and physical health as well.
I unfortunately started drinking when I was fourteen. I am an old-hat at drinking beer. I stick to light beer now that I am an old man. Eight to twelve light beers, if I am drinking at a normal rate, will just get me started. Eight to twelve light beers will just get me relaxed enough to shoot pool with strangers.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 11-05-2018, 03:26 PM   #9
Michael W. Harris

2 yr Member
130 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael W. Harris View Post
I unfortunately started drinking when I was fourteen. I am an old-hat at drinking beer. I stick to light beer now that I am an old man. Eight to twelve light beers, if I am drinking at a normal rate, will just get me started. Eight to twelve light beers will just get me relaxed enough to shoot pool with strangers.

I would like to add: When drinking light beer at a somewhat sane rate, which I do not always do, you void one beer for every two to three beers you drink(on an empty stomach). So If I have eight to twelve beers I actually only have maybe four to six beers worth of alcohol in my system at that time depending on how fast I am drinking. Usually my rate of consumption slows down after a few beers.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 11-05-2018, 04:39 PM   #10
Deejay14
Poohbah

Deejay14 has no updates.

My Mood: Medicine not switching!

2 yr Member
35 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael W. Harris View Post
I would like to add: When drinking light beer at a somewhat sane rate, which I do not always do, you void one beer for every two to three beers you drink(on an empty stomach). So If I have eight to twelve beers I actually only have maybe four to six beers worth of alcohol in my system at that time depending on how fast I am drinking. Usually my rate of consumption slows down after a few beers.
Not true Michael! A 12 oz beer equals 1 shot glass of hard liquor or 1 5oz glass of wine. Light beer does not mean light alcohol, just less carbs and calories.
Deejay14 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from: