Old 07-22-2018, 06:52 PM   #1
tikobird

tikobird has no updates.

My Mood: Depersonalization from anxiety

8 yr Member
15 hugs
given
Default Depersonalization from anxiety

I was wondering if anyone has Depersonalization where things look unreal and you feel like you're outside your body. It starts with an ongoing and severe anxiety and worrying. I've had it since 14 and I was always full of anxiety.
tikobird is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:

advertisement
Old 07-23-2018, 12:50 AM   #2
AlwaysChanging2
Elder

AlwaysChanging2 has no updates.

3 yr Member
3,843 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Depersonalization from anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikobird View Post
I was wondering if anyone has Depersonalization where things look unreal and you feel like you're outside your body. It starts with an ongoing and severe anxiety and worrying. I've had it since 14 and I was always full of anxiety.
All the time sweety. Depersonalization and derealism goes hand in hand, even though through our DID we live in it...but Dp is much more on a personal level that is just so freaky...itís like body parts become non mine....it might as well be a tree limb.

How does yours feel hon?
AlwaysChanging2 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 08-06-2018, 11:53 PM   #3
cutelittletwinstars
cutelittletwinstars :o(

Trig Re: Depersonalization from anxiety

after being
Possible trigger:
i developed a different dissociative disorder, dissociative amnesia. my mind detaches and i just go blank and dont remember the event. i feel like the depersonalization you describe is pretty common. ive met a lot of kids in treatment who developed that due to childhood trauma.

Last edited by atisketatasket; 08-07-2018 at 12:43 AM.. Reason: Added trigger icon and warning
cutelittletwinstars is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 08-17-2018, 04:17 PM   #4
tikobird

tikobird has no updates.

8 yr Member
15 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysChanging2 View Post
All the time sweety. Depersonalization and derealism goes hand in hand, even though through our DID we live in it...but Dp is much more on a personal level that is just so freaky...itís like body parts become non mine....it might as well be a tree limb.

How does yours feel hon?
I first entered the frightening world of DP at 14 and have had it 24/7 for thirty years. I also don't see why it's often titled depersonalization/derealisation when I can tell you from living with it, it's one thing. It's usually caused by constant or ongoing anxiety from some sort of stressor or by a trauma endured. I'm seeing a therapist now who deals with this using EMDR. I was interested in finding others who had this.
Old 08-17-2018, 05:44 PM   #5
amandalouise
Wise Elder

amandalouise has no updates.

8 yr Member
727 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
I first entered the frightening world of DP at 14 and have had it 24/7 for thirty years. I also don't see why it's often titled depersonalization/derealisation when I can tell you from living with it, it's one thing. It's usually caused by constant or ongoing anxiety from some sort of stressor or by a trauma endured. I'm seeing a therapist now who deals with this using EMDR. I was interested in finding others who had this.
its just a formality thing. usually when a person has a dissociative disorder the two disorders sometimes goes together...

example a person who feels like they their self is numb and just watching what is going on can also feel like everyone and everything around them is not connected to them, feeling not real...

when I am having my depersonalization symptoms of feeling numb and a bit on the spaced out side of things it sometimes feels like that picture over there is not real, I know its real and I know its on my wall but it feels like the picture has no connection to me.

so instead of saying I have both depersonalization disorder and I have derealization disorder my treatment providers can write one number on the insurance forms (the number for depersonalization/ derealization disorder is 300.6) and the insurance will automatically cover treatment for both.

see what I mean its just a formality thing that allows a person to have 2 disorders but labeled only one disorder name that covers both.

america has many mental disorders that are now combined into one or more diagnosis names. makes it more individualized so that more people can get more treatment options and insurance will still pay for it.
amandalouise is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 08-18-2018, 12:15 AM   #6
avlady
Wise Elder
Community Liaison
avlady has no updates.

5 yr Member
28.4k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

that was how i felt before i was diagnosed as a teenager with anxiety.
avlady is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 08-18-2018, 12:38 AM   #7
Calla lily12

Calla lily12 awake

428 hugs
given

When that happens, I keep saying "I am here" as sort of a grounding thing.

I wonder if not recognizing oneself in childhood photos has to do with dissociation??
Old 08-25-2018, 07:05 PM   #8
tikobird

tikobird has no updates.

8 yr Member
15 hugs
given
Frown Re: Depersonalization from anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutelittletwinstars View Post
after being
Possible trigger:
i developed a different dissociative disorder, dissociative amnesia. my mind detaches and i just go blank and dont remember the event. i feel like the depersonalization you describe is pretty common. ive met a lot of kids in treatment who developed that due to childhood trauma.
I was just reading about the different types of dissociative disorders. Yours sounds frightening. Are you scared when it happens? Actually I was told mine is unusual because I have it continuously for 30 years. It's there 24/7 and it's kept me from being who I'd like. I have severe insomnia, anxiety, and have been hospitalized for depression. When I have severe clinical depression the anxiety and depersonalization is off the charts. It's been only recently that therapists know what they can do. Most never mention it.

I so often feel like I'm losing my mind. I get panic attacks and pace the floor. Do you have a lot of anxiety?
Old 08-25-2018, 07:16 PM   #9
tikobird

tikobird has no updates.

8 yr Member
15 hugs
given
Frown Re: Depersonalization from anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysChanging2 View Post
All the time sweety. Depersonalization and derealism goes hand in hand, even though through our DID we live in it...but Dp is much more on a personal level that is just so freaky...itís like body parts \become non mine....it might as well be a tree limb.

How does yours feel hon?
t's been awful and frightening because I've had insomnia for 4 years and when I don't sleep the DP is so much worse. That's when I'm super anxious.
Since my mother died and we live in her house I had no life afterward. I felt very lost. Depersonalization started by worrying about whether some friends hated me. I kept ruminating over and over about it and then the unreality began. I was petrified at how things looked.

My self esteem is horrible and I was not spoken to much because of my father's alcoholism. It taught me something was wrong with me and I didn't fit in...so I assumed.
Old 08-25-2018, 07:32 PM   #10
AlwaysChanging2
Elder

AlwaysChanging2 has no updates.

3 yr Member
3,843 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Quote:
t's been awful and frightening because I've had insomnia for 4 years and when I don't sleep the DP is so much worse. That's when I'm super anxious.
Since my mother died and we live in her house I had no life afterward. I felt very lost. Depersonalization started by worrying about whether some friends hated me. I kept ruminating over and over about it and then the unreality began. I was petrified at how things looked.

My self esteem is horrible and I was not spoken to much because of my father's alcoholism. It taught me something was wrong with me and I didn't fit in...so I assumed.
Iíve become a drifter of sorts....state to state, town to town....always had a car job and clothes, but drifting.

Getting away from the ties that binds you helps....but then you still have this weird mind thing going on...I think just getting away from the horrific triggers is a start. Anything from your tortured past that you physically dwell in is a dark dungeon of chains. Get away, get help, get real. Living in the past as present is not healing...at least for me it isnít. Hugggs.
AlwaysChanging2 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from: