Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > >



advertisement
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2017, 12:39 AM   #1
TrailRunner14
Grand Magnate
 
TrailRunner14's Avatar
TrailRunner14 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Feb 2016
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 4,297 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood:

2 yr Member
514 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Do you “pace” yourself?

Just a curious question of how you handle things that seem big if you think you may not be able to meet with your therapist.

The holidays are coming up and I’m in a place that is hard for me.

I️ work through things week by week and handle what comes to me with the safety of knowing I️ can sort it out with my counselor the upcoming week.

I️ want to be stronger and be able to handle things and put them in a safe place. I️ don’t want to be dependent, but I️ am.

That makes me .......::

I️ don’t know what that makes me.

Afraid?

Angry?

Needy?

I️ don’t know what I’m trying to say or ask.

Just putting this out there.

Thanks for hearing me.
__________________
"What is denied, cannot be healed." - Brennan Manning

"Hope knows that if great trials are avoided, great deeds remain undone and the possibility of growth into greatness of soul is aborted." - Brennan Manning
TrailRunner14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:

advertisement
Old 11-13-2017, 07:45 PM   #2
L.P.
Member
 
L.P.'s Avatar
L.P. has no updates.
 
Member Since: Aug 2016
Location: michigan
Posts: 316
My Mood:

2 yr Member
Default Re: Do you “pace” yourself?

I dont have a t so maybe im not a good one to talk but then maybe i am cuz i dont got one i try to make sure i got safety nets in place when i know things are gonna go down soon cuz when i get to feelin small n not so good then i cant thin right enough to do all that in the middle of it. My safety net is my fuzzy blanket, my favorite teddy bear, this one book I like, and my fidget cube for when I am stuck all small. My safety net for when Im not feelin too small but still all mucked up in the head is my one mandala color book, a sketch pad and pens and pencils for drawin it out, a notebook for writin it out, some oranges for sensory help if writin n drawin gets to tense for me, green tea honey and lemon juice yum for breaks. I keep what i can behind my big chair so its already right there for me when i need it so all i gotta do is curl up and crawl in. Lots of other ones in my system have things by that chair to. We try to plan ahead just incase. Oh to we got some outside the head people we can call for help to or maybe just let them know we got stuff maybe goin down and as hey could you check in on us sometimes just incase. I only call that husband guy we got cuz hes nice to me and if its a emergency i know hes gonna show up to help me. But writin it out n drawin it out help me the most cuz i get to be my own soundin board that way. plus i can look back at it later and learn more about what i was thinin n feelin then plus see what else i think n feel now so i can learn more and maybe go aha! about it. Haha. I like it when that happens to. Sorry im talkin lots. I had a rough weekend and sure used my safety nets and now all that is in my brain bein loud cuz its really real to me right now.

Okay. I promise to be quiet quick but i wanted to say to how i now you sayin how you dont know if maybe this makes you feel afraid or angry or needy and i sure dont wanna tell you how to feel or nothin cuz you got every right to feel just exactly how you gonna feel but i think its real understandable to be feelin lots of feelings about all this. you got lots goin on and holidays make stuff hard n then maybe not bein able to see your t well thats even harder. I dont think that makes you dependent. I think that makes you human. You got a way you been doin this n dealin with tough stuff and changin how you wor this with maybe no t time well that throws a great big wrench in everything and im sorry you gotta be dealin with this right now thats gotta be a lot of things n none of them comfy cozy. Nope. But even though its hard, I know you can do it. Im pullin for you and i bet im not the only one here in this place pullin for you to. If you think you wanna put together a safety net like i do, well i know you can put us people here in that safety net to ok?

NiKKi
__________________
no hugs or prayers pls n thx



(dx list: DID/PTSD, ASD, GAD, OCD, LMNOP)
L.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 11-14-2017, 01:05 AM   #3
TrailRunner14
Grand Magnate
 
TrailRunner14's Avatar
TrailRunner14 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Feb 2016
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 4,297 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood:

2 yr Member
514 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Do you “pace” yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.P. View Post
I dont have a t so maybe im not a good one to talk but then maybe i am cuz i dont got one i try to make sure i got safety nets in place when i know things are gonna go down soon cuz when i get to feelin small n not so good then i cant thin right enough to do all that in the middle of it. My safety net is my fuzzy blanket, my favorite teddy bear, this one book I like, and my fidget cube for when I am stuck all small. My safety net for when Im not feelin too small but still all mucked up in the head is my one mandala color book, a sketch pad and pens and pencils for drawin it out, a notebook for writin it out, some oranges for sensory help if writin n drawin gets to tense for me, green tea honey and lemon juice yum for breaks. I keep what i can behind my big chair so its already right there for me when i need it so all i gotta do is curl up and crawl in. Lots of other ones in my system have things by that chair to. We try to plan ahead just incase. Oh to we got some outside the head people we can call for help to or maybe just let them know we got stuff maybe goin down and as hey could you check in on us sometimes just incase. I only call that husband guy we got cuz hes nice to me and if its a emergency i know hes gonna show up to help me. But writin it out n drawin it out help me the most cuz i get to be my own soundin board that way. plus i can look back at it later and learn more about what i was thinin n feelin then plus see what else i think n feel now so i can learn more and maybe go aha! about it. Haha. I like it when that happens to. Sorry im talkin lots. I had a rough weekend and sure used my safety nets and now all that is in my brain bein loud cuz its really real to me right now.



Okay. I promise to be quiet quick but i wanted to say to how i now you sayin how you dont know if maybe this makes you feel afraid or angry or needy and i sure dont wanna tell you how to feel or nothin cuz you got every right to feel just exactly how you gonna feel but i think its real understandable to be feelin lots of feelings about all this. you got lots goin on and holidays make stuff hard n then maybe not bein able to see your t well thats even harder. I dont think that makes you dependent. I think that makes you human. You got a way you been doin this n dealin with tough stuff and changin how you wor this with maybe no t time well that throws a great big wrench in everything and im sorry you gotta be dealin with this right now thats gotta be a lot of things n none of them comfy cozy. Nope. But even though its hard, I know you can do it. Im pullin for you and i bet im not the only one here in this place pullin for you to. If you think you wanna put together a safety net like i do, well i know you can put us people here in that safety net to ok?



NiKKi


Thank you so much Nikki for your reply!

I️ do have a safe big chair in my reading room. My favorite things are around my chair, just like you described. I️ hadn’t really thought of it in the way that you shared it.

That is a safe place to go and hide for me to be alone and have the things at hand that give me peace. I’m so glad that you have a place like that too.

This is a really hard place for me. It’s confusing and that in itself gives more internal conflict to it.

Thank you Nikki for hearing me and your reply. The people here, in this place, have been so much more than supportive and listening. I️ am very thankful for you and for them.

I’m thankful to have you and them in my safety net.
__________________
"What is denied, cannot be healed." - Brennan Manning

"Hope knows that if great trials are avoided, great deeds remain undone and the possibility of growth into greatness of soul is aborted." - Brennan Manning
TrailRunner14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:05 AM   #4
Solnutty
Member
 
Solnutty's Avatar
Solnutty has no updates.
 
Member Since: Apr 2017
Location: California
Posts: 285
My Mood:

231 hugs
given
Default Re: Do you “pace” yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.P. View Post
I dont have a t so maybe im not a good one to talk but then maybe i am cuz i dont got one i try to make sure i got safety nets in place when i know things are gonna go down soon cuz when i get to feelin small n not so good then i cant thin right enough to do all that in the middle of it. My safety net is my fuzzy blanket, my favorite teddy bear, this one book I like, and my fidget cube for when I am stuck all small. My safety net for when Im not feelin too small but still all mucked up in the head is my one mandala color book, a sketch pad and pens and pencils for drawin it out, a notebook for writin it out, some oranges for sensory help if writin n drawin gets to tense for me, green tea honey and lemon juice yum for breaks. I keep what i can behind my big chair so its already right there for me when i need it so all i gotta do is curl up and crawl in. Lots of other ones in my system have things by that chair to. We try to plan ahead just incase. Oh to we got some outside the head people we can call for help to or maybe just let them know we got stuff maybe goin down and as hey could you check in on us sometimes just incase. I only call that husband guy we got cuz hes nice to me and if its a emergency i know hes gonna show up to help me. But writin it out n drawin it out help me the most cuz i get to be my own soundin board that way. plus i can look back at it later and learn more about what i was thinin n feelin then plus see what else i think n feel now so i can learn more and maybe go aha! about it. Haha. I like it when that happens to. Sorry im talkin lots. I had a rough weekend and sure used my safety nets and now all that is in my brain bein loud cuz its really real to me right now.

Okay. I promise to be quiet quick but i wanted to say to how i now you sayin how you dont know if maybe this makes you feel afraid or angry or needy and i sure dont wanna tell you how to feel or nothin cuz you got every right to feel just exactly how you gonna feel but i think its real understandable to be feelin lots of feelings about all this. you got lots goin on and holidays make stuff hard n then maybe not bein able to see your t well thats even harder. I dont think that makes you dependent. I think that makes you human. You got a way you been doin this n dealin with tough stuff and changin how you wor this with maybe no t time well that throws a great big wrench in everything and im sorry you gotta be dealin with this right now thats gotta be a lot of things n none of them comfy cozy. Nope. But even though its hard, I know you can do it. Im pullin for you and i bet im not the only one here in this place pullin for you to. If you think you wanna put together a safety net like i do, well i know you can put us people here in that safety net to ok?

NiKKi
Wow, Nikki, this is super helpful. Thank you.
__________________
Crazy is what keeps me sane.
Solnutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:30 AM   #5
Solnutty
Member
 
Solnutty's Avatar
Solnutty has no updates.
 
Member Since: Apr 2017
Location: California
Posts: 285
My Mood:

231 hugs
given
Default Re: Do you “pace” yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailRunner14 View Post
Just a curious question of how you handle things that seem big if you think you may not be able to meet with your therapist.

The holidays are coming up and I’m in a place that is hard for me.

I️ work through things week by week and handle what comes to me with the safety of knowing I️ can sort it out with my counselor the upcoming week.

I️ want to be stronger and be able to handle things and put them in a safe place. I️ don’t want to be dependent, but I️ am.

That makes me .......::

I️ don’t know what that makes me.

Afraid?

Angry?

Needy?

I️ don’t know what I’m trying to say or ask.

Just putting this out there.

Thanks for hearing me.
Things I got from my t--
Being dependent can be scary and feel unacceptable because as little ones we only experienced dependence as hurt. But the reality is there can be dependence that is good and right and okay. Seeking help is what we are supposed to do, and there is no human being on earth that's not dependent on others, especially in hard times. So it makes sense that bad, angry, scary feelings come up for us when we think we might need help or comfort, and yet this is a double bind, because we need something we don't want, and can't judge what is appropriate.

I have an alter for whom comfort of any kind is overwhelming. He's working on increasing his tolerance for good feelings. I don't know if that goes with all I'm saying but there it is.

My t has worked with us on comforting ourselves and each other, and time after time we all forget and need to be reminded to do very simple things that bring up feelings of comfort. It's hard to learn but also totally understandable. T says those comfort feelings are super important to access because it switches us to a different neurological mechanism, so to speak. It keeps us from going into survival mode, or helps us get out. She says these pathways of comfort are weak and need to be strengthened with lots of use. Comfort comfort comfort. Feels like learning how to write left-handed. Not natural. But as many times as I need to be reminded I have seen that it is true.
Internal hugs are great. Can any of you hug each other inside? We have internal safe places. Internal pets, who are warm and soft and we like to listen to their heartbeats and breaths. Like our Little, with her Aslan. Haha! Pets is the wrong word I think. They're not like pets. Better. And stuffies of course. Can't forget those. Blankies. Taking time for this is up there with taking time to shower or brush teeth. It's just plain necessary.
I'm remembering how important all this is as I type.
We have been starved of comfort for a good long time, and we need to take in as much of it as we can, as often as we can.
__________________
Crazy is what keeps me sane.
Solnutty is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Old 11-16-2017, 07:10 PM   #6
dlantern
Grand Member
dlantern has no updates.
 
Member Since: Feb 2017
Location: Logan
Posts: 963
My Mood:

8 hugs
given
Default Re: Do you “pace” yourself?

I just take it in stride we obey a lot of different feelings and disobey the others. Do you feel at risk for some sort of flare up? A break down. I think it is a good thing to at least know what is happening.
dlantern is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 11-16-2017, 08:43 PM   #7
ruh roh
Run of the Mill Snowflake
 
ruh roh's Avatar
ruh roh ...
 
Member Since: May 2015
Location: here and there
Posts: 4,460 (SuperPoster!)
3 yr Member
5,076 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Do you “pace” yourself?

I don't have an answer. It's a struggle.
ruh roh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 12:30 AM   #8
TrailRunner14
Grand Magnate
 
TrailRunner14's Avatar
TrailRunner14 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Feb 2016
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 4,297 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood:

2 yr Member
514 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Do you “pace” yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlantern View Post
I just take it in stride we obey a lot of different feelings and disobey the others. Do you feel at risk for some sort of flare up? A break down. I think it is a good thing to at least know what is happening.


No flare up. It’s just a desire to want to understand.

Thank you for for that!

It cycles around, at least for me.

Thank you!
__________________
"What is denied, cannot be healed." - Brennan Manning

"Hope knows that if great trials are avoided, great deeds remain undone and the possibility of growth into greatness of soul is aborted." - Brennan Manning
TrailRunner14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 12:32 AM   #9
TrailRunner14
Grand Magnate
 
TrailRunner14's Avatar
TrailRunner14 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Feb 2016
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 4,297 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood:

2 yr Member
514 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Do you “pace” yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruh roh View Post
I don't have an answer. It's a struggle.


Neither do I. Thank you. Pm you.
__________________
"What is denied, cannot be healed." - Brennan Manning

"Hope knows that if great trials are avoided, great deeds remain undone and the possibility of growth into greatness of soul is aborted." - Brennan Manning
TrailRunner14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:33 PM   #10
Amyjay
Grand Poohbah
Amyjay has no updates.
 
Member Since: Mar 2017
Location: Underground
Posts: 1,695 (SuperPoster!)
472 hugs
given
Default Re: Do you “pace” yourself?

I am not good at pacing myself. My therapist wants me to slow down. I feel an urgent need to delve into everything right now. I have daily life things that I need to attend to though and I am not able to get them done because so much of my focus is on internal work and trying to figure it all out.
Like right now I am supposed to be doing written evaluations of last week and write an important presentation for this week. But I have internal things I am trying to figure out and I don't want to "switch off" internal focus to work on outer things. This is always a problem for me.
Amyjay is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® — Copyright © 2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.



advertisement

 

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice,
diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider.
Always consult your doctor or mental health professional before trying anything you read here.

 

HomeAbout UsContact UsPrivacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer
Forums HomeCommunity GuidelinesHelp


 
Helplines and Lifelines