Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Dissociative Disorders

advertisement

Old 07-17-2017, 02:05 AM   #211
Poohbah
yagr has no updates.

2 yr Member
970 hugs
given
Default Re: questions: dissociative disorders version #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amyjay View Post
Do you think you will need to be in therapy for a long time?
To be honest, I'm not sure that I need to be in therapy now, but I enjoy it. I'm not saying that I don't have issues, but I fake normal extraordinarily well and overall I probably have a better handle on 'happy' than most.

I mean, four years ago I came down with a particularly nasty auto-immune disease that is untreatable, incurable, and causes chronic pain. I couldn't work for two years until I was put on pain meds and spent two years living without water or heat...still don't have running water. We've moved seven times because we couldn't afford to stay any longer, I've had five heart attacks in the last four years, my wife has relapsed on drugs four times, and I'm dying...got a couple of years at most. And for the most part, I'm a happy guy. I like therapy and my therapist; I enjoy doing the work on me because it always ends up that I'm happier long term when I do it. But if I stopped? I dunno - suspect I'd still be happy.

So, on that note, what brings out your happy:

Sonseearae: Bunnies!
Me (Angel): Writing.
Lori: Black...black anything.
Micah: Storybook time!
NoOne: Not being needed...sleeping.

advertisement
Old 07-17-2017, 02:06 AM   #212
Grand Magnate
TrailRunner14 has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
379 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I feel like I'm on the verge/cliff of a freedom for a vey bound part of me.

I have been here before but it's not been as intense. I'm not sure what to expect when this part of me is unburdened.

It could be freedom or another part coming forward asking for freedom.

I don't know.

My parts like music and songs. It gives them strength and courage.

Do yours?

"Hope knows that if great trials are avoided, great deeds remain undone and the possibility of growth into greatness of soul is aborted." - Brennan Manning
TrailRunner14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 07-17-2017, 02:10 AM   #213
Grand Magnate

My Mood:

2 yr Member
379 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default questions: dissociative disorders version #2

[QUOTE=yagr;5740848]To be honest, I'm not sure that I need to be in therapy now, but I enjoy it. I'm not saying that I don't have issues, but I fake normal extraordinarily well and overall I probably have a better handle on 'happy' than most.

I mean, four years ago I came down with a particularly nasty auto-immune disease that is untreatable, incurable, and causes chronic pain. I couldn't work for two years until I was put on pain meds and spent two years living without water or heat...still don't have running water. We've moved seven times because we couldn't afford to stay any longer, I've had five heart attacks in the last four years, my wife has relapsed on drugs four times, and I'm dying...got a couple of years at most. And for the most part, I'm a happy guy. I like therapy and my therapist; I enjoy doing the work on me because it always ends up that I'm happier long term when I do it. But if I stopped? I dunno - suspect I'd still be happy.

So, on that note, what brings out your happy:

Sonseearae: Bunnies!
Me (Angel): Writing.
Lori: Black...black anything.
Micah: Storybook time!
NoOne: Not

(((Hugs))) friend.

"Hope knows that if great trials are avoided, great deeds remain undone and the possibility of growth into greatness of soul is aborted." - Brennan Manning
Hugs from:
Old 07-17-2017, 03:27 AM   #214
Grand Member
Amyjay has no updates.

192 hugs
given

Music and songs also brings strength and courage to some parts but for others music and songs are too much to bare.

Did you do well at school or was it very hard for you?
Ugh.That is very black and white.
WHat was your experience of education like?
Amyjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 07:48 PM   #215
Grand Poohbah

anais_anais has no updates.

1,181 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amyjay View Post
Music and songs also brings strength and courage to some parts but for others music and songs are too much to bare.

Did you do well at school or was it very hard for you?
Ugh.That is very black and white.
WHat was your experience of education like?
My experience of education was frustrating. I did alright, only because I did everything to bend the rules and create my own framework that worked for my strange circumstances, in every degree level. Professors either loved me or hated me for this. Nothing in the middle . If I had gone by the proper deadlines and requirements I would have done very poorly, probably would have dropped out.

I and my teachers also couldn't understand why some days I was very competent and other days it was like I'd never encountered the subject before. I didn't get my diagnosis until well after I finished school. It makes more sense now.

What would you rather be doing right at this moment?
Old 07-18-2017, 03:12 PM   #216
Veteran Member
dlantern has no updates.

7 hugs
given

At work drinking coffee.......

Can I answer that question too above? School was hard for us some our traumas was with children and adults daycare in our younger years, so it might have played a number on what happened to us in school. It was like all smiles great student until 11 years old when the incest got to us it became in the family type crap, older brother, boundaries mom, to invasive gyno when the cycle stopped because of stress progressed on to more detailed reenactment with the younger brother. Also a Mexican guy to boot being in the wrong place at the wrong time basically. Kids aren't the kind that ask how is home so they see us repeating and calling out alters for their dumbness whether they knew or not.....For us we ain't get diagnosed until in our 30's.......

Hope scholarship in high school 3.0 those four years under grad 2.5 and grad school 2.9 before we ain't finish grad school though....It was okay not genius so I feel some type of way when folks calls us experts on topics we had virtually no help with mostly google and forums such as this. It make sense though with unlocking gifts I wondered if certain ones hadn't got in the others way might would have done a little better in school those years. I don't think in fact there is research to debunk that anyway some are not genius's. When you understand the symptoms cognition with PTSD and also with DID them you understand how that information is distributed. To me the creativity is mostly for the memories how you remember things with whom and what the symbolism also it can be useless clutter because some alter could learn instead of holding on to other memories...

Do you constantly have to change supports as you grow regarding therapy? Do you constantly get ahead of your therapist or does she usually get snagged with memory narrative exposure? Let's face it aren't going to read together that would be purely allow a child to run your life...You can't just stop at the dissociation you are reading all of it case studies research and everything, right at least at some point on the journey?
dlantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 09:56 AM   #217
existing but not living
Community Liaison
shattered sanity has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
1,454 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I want to answer the school question too.

it was hard for us, mainly because we kept having to be taken out and go to hospital, and when we were ready, the school wouldn't take us back because we'd missed so much work.

their were parts of our short time we did enjoy (for example we liked assembly, and we really liked history)

eventually though, what happens happens, and we left without a single qualification

(we wanted to add something to our answer, but we can't remember what it was!). shame because it feels important

to the question above, we've never had much luck with therapists, since our family (who doubled as our abusers) kept sending them off, and giving them reasons not to work with us.

now we're away from them though with our 9th (9th) attempt at a therapist, we can only see how it goes, I suppose.

question: to those who are no longer in contact with their abuser/ abusers, how did you get away?. how did it all stop for you.
shattered sanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 01:52 PM   #218
Grand Poohbah

anais_anais has no updates.

1,181 hugs
given

They are my family too. The major abusers I told directly that the relationship was over. Before I did this, I changed all my registration, address, contact info, insurance, anything that they might know details about and use to get a hold of me. They have mostly respected my wishes and not contacted me. I do know that I've been disinherited.

The others that I did not directly confront, they were abusive but less so, have stopped contacting me on their own because they are on the side of the major abusers.

So much of the contact abruptly ended with only financial implications. Once in a while when one of the minor abusers contacts me it brings up very difficult emotions for me.

I am lucky the major abusers have not attempted anything drastic. I had nightmares that they would find me and hurt me for a long time.

When you meet a person, do you associate things like colors or textures or sounds with them?
Old 07-23-2017, 10:18 AM   #219
existing but not living
Community Liaison
shattered sanity has no updates.

My Mood:

5 yr Member
1,454 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

for me, when I meet someone, rather associating them with textures and sounds, I associate them with past experiences

example: the name lisa is my mother's name and she was an abuser.

so now when ever I see a lisa, or meet a lisa I think.. right, her name's lisa, stay away.

or maybe michelle.. I might say last time I met someone called michelle, she shouted at me and was angry towards me- so now I meet another michelle, she's going to be the same (maybe she is, maybe she isn't), but that's how I see it.

I do associate smells with names though.

like for example, my grandmother beryl always wore this lavender perfume, so now when ever I meet a beryl, I imagine she will wear it too (and I can smell it, even though she might not be wearing it at the time)

this is how it goes for me, and from my point of view it's sort of natural it happens that way.

question: what would be your first peace of advice you give to someone just diagnosed with D.I.D
shattered sanity is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 07-23-2017, 08:47 PM   #220
Grand Magnate

My Mood:

2 yr Member
379 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Don't be afraid! You are strong and brave or you would not be here.

It's ok. It may be really confusing and scary. You may even actually feel like you are coming undone.

You are not coming undone. You know the truth now and the pieces can come together. You aren't coming undone, you are coming together.

It may take quite a bit of time, work and patience with yourself and the people around you.

Find a safe place where you can sort all this out. Be gentle with yourself. You have suffered much and you need to be kind to yourself.

That is what I would say to someone else and to me. I'm not diagnosed with DID but I do feel that I am on the spectrum.

Question.

What do you do with the bad dreams? The ones that wake you up, thanking God that it was only a dream?

"Thanks for this!" says: