Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > >



advertisement
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2016, 02:24 AM   #1
snarkydaddy
Grand Member
 
snarkydaddy's Avatar
snarkydaddy has no updates.
 
Member Since: Feb 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 982
My Mood: Time & space not delineated (in communication)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
5 yr Member
7 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Time & space not delineated (in communication)

Hello
I started with a therapist approx. 8 weeks ago and had one session with a psycologist which will pick up again once medical records have been retrieved and delivered. In the mean time I have been working with this new T dealing with disassociation... Credited at the moment as being part of PTSD.

I have an open question:
Has anyone experienced memories as though they just happened? These memories would be as real as the moment you are currently in. Complete with smells, sounds and crips images. Next would be does anyone experience the future in the same way so that when you are talking about what you plan to do you reffer to it in past tense? This future would also be very real. And when this furture comes it is just like you originally experienced it with an exception that is may not feel the emotional impact until you have physically been there.

All comments are welcome.
snarkydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:

advertisement
Old 09-16-2016, 12:11 PM   #2
amandalouise
Wise Elder
 
amandalouise's Avatar
amandalouise has no updates.
 
Member Since: Mar 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 8,039 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood: Time & space not delineated (in communication)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
8 yr Member
727 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Time & space not delineated (in communication)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkydaddy View Post
Hello
I started with a therapist approx. 8 weeks ago and had one session with a psycologist which will pick up again once medical records have been retrieved and delivered. In the mean time I have been working with this new T dealing with disassociation... Credited at the moment as being part of PTSD.

I have an open question:
Has anyone experienced memories as though they just happened? These memories would be as real as the moment you are currently in. Complete with smells, sounds and crips images. Next would be does anyone experience the future in the same way so that when you are talking about what you plan to do you reffer to it in past tense? This future would also be very real. And when this furture comes it is just like you originally experienced it with an exception that is may not feel the emotional impact until you have physically been there.

All comments are welcome.
first so that I am understanding your post...

here in my location we have two different terms...

disassociation ( with an A between two s's, pronounced dis - association) which means to purposely stop doing something, purposely push away, purposely reject....today I disassociated while drinking my coffee in order to finish getting ready for work meaning I purposely decided to put my coffee down and go get ready for work.

dissociation (no A between two s's) which means feeling spaced out, numb, disconnected, a ....feeling of unreality but knowing what is real and what isnt,...

am I correct since you are posting this in the dissociation (no A between two s's) forum, you are talking about my locations second definition?

reason I make this distinction between the two definitions in my location is because some locations use the two terms inter change ably and both can be part of ones mental disorder diagnosis's but sometimes treated differently.

example when I am disassociating ( purposely pushing away, rejecting, ignoring and not doing things I am remembering) my therapist helps me to not be afraid and look at why I am disassociating.

where as when I am dissociating (feeling numb, spaced out, disconnected, no a between two s's) because I am remembering something, my therapist has me doing grounding and breathing exercises

now on to the other part of your post.... yes sometimes I do have memories that are so strong and emotionally charged that they feel like they are happening right now... my treatment providers call this having a flashback. its quite common for me to have this problem due to both my PTSD category diagnosis's and my dissociation disorders.

talking about future events and future events being real as if already happening no not in relation to my dissociation disorders but I have had that problem of distinguishing reality from what I planned on doing at a later date as being real at this moment due to medication problems. in me my treatment providers call this psychosis because of the diagnostic criteria they have to go by when diagnosing me, that states reality testing remains intact with dissociation problems.

that said there is a scientific (non mental disordered ) term in my location called Deja Vu. this means a person feels like what they are going through or remembering now is something they have gone through or remembered before, its like but a bit different than the paranormal version of having premonitions (another non mental disorder term) which is knowing whats going to happen in the future.

depending upon the situation my treatment providers called these in me normal or psychosis\ hallucinations\delusions.

my suggestion is if this continues to bother you contact your (or a) mental health treatment provider who can diagnose these problems and if needed get you treated for them.
amandalouise is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 09-16-2016, 07:03 PM   #3
Starry_Night
Elder
 
Starry_Night's Avatar
Starry_Night busy busy busy
 
Member Since: Apr 2011
Location: Under and Over
Posts: 5,306
My Mood: Time & space not delineated (in communication)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
5 yr Member
789 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Time & space not delineated (in communication)

yes, often.
Starry_Night is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 09-17-2016, 09:32 AM   #4
snarkydaddy
Grand Member
 
snarkydaddy's Avatar
snarkydaddy has no updates.
 
Member Since: Feb 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 982
My Mood: Time & space not delineated (in communication)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
5 yr Member
7 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Time & space not delineated (in communication)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandalouise View Post
first so that I am understanding your post...



here in my location we have two different terms...



disassociation ( with an A between two s's, pronounced dis - association) which means to purposely stop doing something, purposely push away, purposely reject....today I disassociated while drinking my coffee in order to finish getting ready for work meaning I purposely decided to put my coffee down and go get ready for work.



dissociation (no A between two s's) which means feeling spaced out, numb, disconnected, a ....feeling of unreality but knowing what is real and what isnt,...



am I correct since you are posting this in the dissociation (no A between two s's) forum, you are talking about my locations second definition?



reason I make this distinction between the two definitions in my location is because some locations use the two terms inter change ably and both can be part of ones mental disorder diagnosis's but sometimes treated differently.



example when I am disassociating ( purposely pushing away, rejecting, ignoring and not doing things I am remembering) my therapist helps me to not be afraid and look at why I am disassociating.



where as when I am dissociating (feeling numb, spaced out, disconnected, no a between two s's) because I am remembering something, my therapist has me doing grounding and breathing exercises



now on to the other part of your post.... yes sometimes I do have memories that are so strong and emotionally charged that they feel like they are happening right now... my treatment providers call this having a flashback. its quite common for me to have this problem due to both my PTSD category diagnosis's and my dissociation disorders.



talking about future events and future events being real as if already happening no not in relation to my dissociation disorders but I have had that problem of distinguishing reality from what I planned on doing at a later date as being real at this moment due to medication problems. in me my treatment providers call this psychosis because of the diagnostic criteria they have to go by when diagnosing me, that states reality testing remains intact with dissociation problems.



that said there is a scientific (non mental disordered ) term in my location called Deja Vu. this means a person feels like what they are going through or remembering now is something they have gone through or remembered before, its like but a bit different than the paranormal version of having premonitions (another non mental disorder term) which is knowing whats going to happen in the future.



depending upon the situation my treatment providers called these in me normal or psychosis\ hallucinations\delusions.



my suggestion is if this continues to bother you contact your (or a) mental health treatment provider who can diagnose these problems and if needed get you treated for them.


Hi and thank you for your reply.

We are not talking about the same thing here. There are no Deja vue moments, no hallucinating. When the future comes it is how I experienced it. And the past is just as clear as the moment I am in right now. With sounds, smells, tactile and visual input still intact. The issue is delineation between all 3. And that issue only occurs when relating to others. Or communicating everts to others. Solo; by myself it is not an issue.
snarkydaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 09-17-2016, 11:36 AM   #5
AlwaysChanging2
Elder
 
AlwaysChanging2's Avatar
AlwaysChanging2 has no updates.
 
Member Since: Dec 2014
Location: Hiding in my closet
Posts: 6,946 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood: Time & space not delineated (in communication)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
3 yr Member
3,840 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Time & space not delineated (in communication)

I have these flashbacks that take me away from the present to another time so much that I daze out and physically freeze like all my senses to the present world shuts down and the past is made too real....then coming to is a system shock. It's very tiring.

Sometimes it happens at dangerous times like doing 70 mph on the freeway. If anyone knew what went on in my mind...I wouldn't have a license to drive. But by driving the second slowest puts all the other Speed Racers out in front and me in my own space on the freeway.
AlwaysChanging2 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 09-17-2016, 12:20 PM   #6
amandalouise
Wise Elder
 
amandalouise's Avatar
amandalouise has no updates.
 
Member Since: Mar 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 8,039 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood: Time & space not delineated (in communication)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
8 yr Member
727 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Time & space not delineated (in communication)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkydaddy View Post
Hi and thank you for your reply.

We are not talking about the same thing here. There are no Deja vue moments, no hallucinating. When the future comes it is how I experienced it. And the past is just as clear as the moment I am in right now. With sounds, smells, tactile and visual input still intact. The issue is delineation between all 3. And that issue only occurs when relating to others. Or communicating everts to others. Solo; by myself it is not an issue.
in my location delineation means to be exact, perfect, have definite borders, ...

examples I think Melissa Gilbert acted with delineation in the miracle worker (meaning I think Melissa Gilbert did a perfect job and she portrayed the character hellen keller perfectly and exactly how Helen Keller was in life according to her own personal diaries)

So are you saying you are looking for or having trouble with finding that defining line between what is your past, present and future, that they are all melting together for you? that you dont have delineation in this respect to what you experience? for you the past, present and future are all one and the same.
amandalouise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 07:06 PM   #7
here today
Magnate
here today has no updates.
 
Member Since: Jun 2012
Location: SE USA
Posts: 2,798
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
5 yr Member
935 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Time & space not delineated (in communication)

I had some memories that somebody called "flashbulb". They were memories of traumatic events but there wasn't a full awareness of the emotion that had been present -- once the emotion was recovered in therapy, the cognitive clarity of the situations has faded a little bit. Never had anything like that for an event in the future, though.
here today is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 10:27 PM   #8
elevatedsoul
Ascended
 
elevatedsoul's Avatar
elevatedsoul has no updates.
 
Member Since: Nov 2013
Location: usa
Posts: 3,806
My Mood: Time & space not delineated (in communication)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
5 yr Member
1,847 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Time & space not delineated (in communication)

constantly
hang in there..

i try my hardest not to think about it..
__________________
Time & space not delineated (in communication)
elevatedsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 12-10-2018, 03:41 AM   #9
leomama
Grand Magnate
 
leomama's Avatar
leomama Depressed
 
Member Since: Feb 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 3,871 (SuperPoster!)
My Mood: Time & space not delineated (in communication)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
5 yr Member
174 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Time & space not delineated (in communication)

Wow that gives me a headache! Id say youd have to have a very strong hold on reality before you go playing around with the timeline! I can barely deal with the present day crisis much less think about the pain of the past or the scary future.
__________________
leomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 05:41 PM   #10
elevatedsoul
Ascended
 
elevatedsoul's Avatar
elevatedsoul has no updates.
 
Member Since: Nov 2013
Location: usa
Posts: 3,806
My Mood: Time & space not delineated (in communication)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
5 yr Member
1,847 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Time & space not delineated (in communication)

😯 its really been so long that i have been lost in this place..?



Gee 🙁
__________________
Time & space not delineated (in communication)
elevatedsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® — Copyright © 2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.




advertisement

 

The material on this site is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice,
diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. .
Always consult your doctor or mental health professional before trying anything you read here.

 

HomeAbout UsContact UsPrivacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer
Forums HomeCommunity GuidelinesHelp


 
Helplines and Lifelines