Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Health & Other Support > Disabilities and Chronic Diseases

advertisement
Unread 11-08-2016, 05:41 PM   #1
SilentMelodee has no updates.

My Mood:

66 hugs
given
Default Disability for mental issues?

Has anyone been on disability for their mental and/or anxiety issues? How did that seem to go for you? Was it easy to do?
SilentMelodee is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Unread 11-09-2016, 02:20 PM   #2
Wise Old Troll

Skeezyks has no updates.

My Mood:

7,773 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile Re: Disability for mental issues?

Hello SilentMelodee: The Skeezyks has not been on disability. But I know there are members, here on PC, who have been. Perhaps they have simply not noticed your post. You might consider re-posting this in the finances forum:

Insurance and Finances - Forums at Psych Central

"Oh, do not say / My spirit is not worn-- / As curtains furl / In the west wind, / I am more withered / Than the chrysanthemums' / Yellow flowers. (From a poem by the poetess Li Ching-Jau, China, Southern Sung period, c. 1125 A.D.)
Skeezyks is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 11-09-2016, 02:57 PM   #3
Legendary Wise Elder
Community Liaison

gayleggg has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
10.5k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Disability for mental issues?

I'm on disability due to my being bipolar. It wasn't hard but did take six months. I started out using an attorney and they took care of most of it of course I had a to pay them once I was accepted as disabled. It's been fine except I don't get enough to live alone. Luckily I'm married but my husband is on SS so money is still tight. But considering I couldn't work any longer it was my only choice.

Bipolar II, GAD
Meds: Lexapro 10mg, Saphris 10mg, Ritalin (Methylphenidate) 10mg twice daily, Propranolol 20mg (for hand tremors) and Klonopin .5mg three times daily.

"Each morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most." Buddha
Save
gayleggg is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 11-09-2016, 04:15 PM   #4
"I'm scarlet inside"

Fharraige "'Cause in my head there's a Greyhound station"

My Mood:

5 yr Member
5,499 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I have SSDI for depression and anxiety. I was denied the first time. so I got an attorney and sent them reams of paperwork about my MIs. They approved me the second time.

BP Type 1, GAD, PTSD, BPD
Latuda, Artane, Neurontin, Vistaril and some other stuff

My poetry and prose
My Flickr Photostream
Fharraige is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 11-09-2016, 06:03 PM   #5

My Mood:

66 hugs
given

Thank you so much for the input! And thanks for the referral to another forum. I haven't even checked out HALF of the forums here yet!

If my therapist is suggesting it, do I stand a better chance?
Unread 11-09-2016, 10:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member
eyesclosed has no updates.

My Mood:

204 hugs
given

do u also see a psych for meds if so the will have him respond thats how it was for me i was denied my first try
eyesclosed is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 11-10-2016, 12:21 AM   #7
Awesoment

seesaw anxious

My Mood:

3 yr Member
245 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentMelodee View Post
Has anyone been on disability for their mental and/or anxiety issues? How did that seem to go for you? Was it easy to do?
I received disability for 18 months (I went back to work) for PTSD and depression. I received it on my first try, it only took 3 months, I think, to get approved. I don't know if it happened so easily for me because I lived in a less populous state (Montana) or what. I had been hospitalized 5 times in a few months and been SHing pretty heavily.

If you do a thorough enough application the first time around, it's possible to get it without an attorney getting involved.

Good luck,
seesaw

Primary Dx: PTSD and Severe Chronic Treatment Resistant Major Depressive Disorder[/SIGPIC]
Secondary Dx: OCPD, Generalized Anxiety Disorder with mild Agoraphobia.

Meds I've tried: Prozac, Zoloft, Celexa, Effexor, Remeron, Elavil, Wellbutrin, Risperidone, Abilify, Prazosin, Paxil, Trazadone, Tramadol, Topomax, Xanax, Propranolol, Valium, Visteril, Vraylar, Selinor, Clonopin, Ambien

Treatments I've done: CBT, DBT, Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), Talk therapy, psychotherapy, exercise, diet, sleeping more, sleeping less...
seesaw is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 11-10-2016, 12:45 AM   #8
who reads this, anyway?

Yoda has no updates.

My Mood:

10 yr Member PC PoohBah!

I have been on SSDI since 2000. I have ptsd and bipolar. I was approved on my first attempt.

My employer hired an attorney to represent me. I was on short and then long term disability when I was unable to work. My long term disability was good for 2 1/2 years and when I started receiving SSDI my employer was able to pay me less. (I received 75% of my base pay while on long term disability).
Unread 11-10-2016, 06:31 PM   #9

My Mood:

66 hugs
given

My primary care doctor prescribes my medications, so I do not see a psychiatrist. Thank you for all the input!!
Unread 11-16-2016, 10:06 PM   #10
Grand Magnate

BeyondtheRainbow finally cuddling with kittens

My Mood:

2 yr Member
955 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I think you are more likely to succeed at a disability application if you are seeing a pdoc. I know that my many years of medical records and psychiatric/therapy records seemed to help get mine approved quickly (11 weeks) and they didn't even seem to review a lot of it (didn't request records or paperwork from several doctors and relied mostly on my therapist's responses). My pdoc told me that she had documented for many years about my struggles to work with the knowledge that eventually it would probably come to disability reviewers looking at her notes. It worked.
Meds: Clozaril 350 mg, Emsam 9 mg, gabapentin 800 mg bedtime & 100 PRN twice daily, topamax 25 mg, klonopin 2 mg/1mg PRN, valium 5 mg PRN, hydroxyzine 25 mg PRN, lots of vitamins and meds for side effects

BeyondtheRainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says: