Help with negative thoughts about NYE and the year to come... - Forums at Psych Central

Old 12-30-2018, 04:28 PM #1
Anonymous57363

Anonymous57363
Anonymous57363 has no updates. Edit

Lightbulb Help with negative thoughts about NYE and the year to come...

Hello everyone, if like me you find yourself needing to work through negative thoughts about the New Year etc I thought we could help each other out.

Here's an example from my recent thoughts:

Something tragic happened to me in 2018, what if another tragedy happens in 2019?

I flip this thought to: I made it through that tragedy as best I could. I am brave and strong when I need to be. I will make it through whatever I need to in 2019. Some good things also happened in 2018 so I'm hopeful for more goodness in 2019!

Please share a negative thought you flipped to something positive or ask others on the thread to help you flip it.
You could also share something you are hoping for in 2019.

I believe we can help each other to feel more hopeful for the new year.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 05:08 PM #2
Poohbah

Poohbah
Emily Fox Seaton has no updates.

2 yr Member
275 hugs
given
Default Re: Help with negative thoughts about NYE and the year to come...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefullyLost1211 View Post
Please share a negative thought you flipped to something positive or ask others on the thread to help you flip it.
You could also share something you are hoping for in 2019.
I often feel I am never going to lose this weight so I should just give up and accept where I am...

but then I think, no, never give up. I might be right around the corner from the key.

We all know that the key to success for the most successful is being persistent.
Emily Fox Seaton is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 05:14 PM #3
Anonymous57363

Anonymous57363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily Fox Seaton View Post
I often feel I am never going to lose this weight so I should just give up and accept where I am...

but then I think, no, never give up. I might be right around the corner from the key.

We all know that the key to success for the most successful is being persistent.
Great thought-flipping Emily! With weight loss, I think it's important to determine whether it's a medical concern or a self-esteem concern. Research indicates that when trying to lose weight, people are much more successful when they come from a healthy place of: "I want to respect and honor my body...to live my healthiest life" as opposed to self-criticism/body-shaming or feeling badly due to unrealistic images of beauty etc.

Best wishes to you on your journey for your healthiest body
Hugs from:
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 12-30-2018, 05:22 PM #4
Poohbah

Poohbah

2 yr Member
275 hugs
given

Quote:
Great thought-flipping Emily! With weight loss, I think it's important to determine whether it's a medical concern or a self-esteem concern.:
It is a medical. Though mostly for my life medical refuse to accept that it is medical - or have any solution for it. I am trying a new way of dieting and medical marijuana to lose weight.
Old 12-30-2018, 05:29 PM #5
Anonymous57363

Anonymous57363

Quote:
It is a medical. Though mostly for my life medical refuse to accept that it is medical - or have any solution for it. I am trying a new way of dieting and medical marijuana to lose weight.
Just thought I should clarify my prior comment for anyone else who may be reading and struggling with weight loss...by medical issue vs self-esteem concern, I meant: are you medically overweight (or underweight for that matter) and at risk for related health problems or are you a medically healthy weight and struggling with a self-perception of feeling "ugly" or "fat" etc because those are two quite different problems imo.

Either way, I wish you well Emily and all the other folks dealing with weight issues of one form or another
Hugs from:
Old 12-30-2018, 05:30 PM #6
Anonymous57363

Anonymous57363

Quote:

I'm sure a lot of folks can relate to this particularly during the holiday season when there is a lot of emphasis on food.
Hugs from:
Old 12-30-2018, 05:38 PM #7
Magnate

Magnate
cryingontheinside has no updates.

3 yr Member PC PoohBah!

I'm also dealing with a weight problem. It all began with a mefication the psych doctor gave me . it was known for making people gain weight . I gained so much weight in the past 5 years . the other day my mum called me a fat c word .
I recently bought several exercise DVDs . I've been trying them out with my daughter . I plan to exercise everyday in 2019 or at least wherever possible . I'm taking it slow though , just doing what I can manage . then I want to do a low carb diet along side it . it will help my self asteem but I'm doing it for health reasons also .
cryingontheinside is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 05:41 PM #8
Poohbah

Poohbah

2 yr Member
275 hugs
given

Quote:
J at risk for related health problems or are you a medically healthy weight and struggling with a self-perception of feeling "ugly" or "fat" etc because those are two quite different problems imo.
I currently don't have any medical issues but as I am sure you know... as you age that puts you at risk for them. So that is the main desire to avoid issues such as "knee problems".
Hugs from:
Old 12-30-2018, 06:05 PM #9
Anonymous57363

Anonymous57363

Quote:
I currently don't have any medical issues but as I am sure you know... as you age that puts you at risk for them. So that is the main desire to avoid issues such as "knee problems".
Are you currently medically overweight Emily, or would you rather not talk about that? No judgment here
Hugs from:
Old 12-30-2018, 06:12 PM #10
Anonymous57363

Anonymous57363

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryingontheinside View Post
I'm also dealing with a weight problem. It all began with a mefication the psych doctor gave me . it was known for making people gain weight . I gained so much weight in the past 5 years . the other day my mum called me a fat c word .
I recently bought several exercise DVDs . I've been trying them out with my daughter . I plan to exercise everyday in 2019 or at least wherever possible . I'm taking it slow though , just doing what I can manage . then I want to do a low carb diet along side it . it will help my self asteem but I'm doing it for health reasons also .
Hello CryingontheInside. Your mother's comment was horrible and verbally abusive. That is a reflection of her character not of your body. Are you able to have distance from her?

Here's some thought-flipping for you:

My body is just as valuable now as it was 5 years ago. My body has been with me day and night keeping me alive through all my struggles and I am grateful for that. It is not my body's fault that I gained weight from medication...my body was responding in the way it knew how to do and that is okay. Slowing losing some weight could be good for my health. But my self-esteem is separate...my self-worth is intrinsic and unrelated to the # on the scales therefore I love myself every day regardless of my size/weight.
Hugs from:
"Thanks for this!" says: