Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Depression

advertisement

Old 07-13-2018, 07:29 PM   #1
pixiedust72 has no updates.

11 hugs
given
Default Fired through text

Yesterday I got fired over text. I know it was my fault that I was fired. I took too many sick days because of my depression. I thought it was allowed with a few hours notice. It was not. Whatever, you live and learn. When I was texted this I asked my boss to please call me to discuss. Who wants their last conversation with an employer to be a text. I just wanted to apologize and I even said "I just want you to know that I didn't mean to make extra work for you and I wasn't trying to be malicious." Here's what she said: "if you ever want to be successful in life you can't do this. I haven't taken a sick day in 30 years. I have daughters about your age and they would never do this. It's just common sense". Wow, I'm literally sitting here being humble and apologizing for my mistake and she responds by calling me stupid and unsuccessful and (in less harsh words) that she would never raise a daughter like me. That's how my depression hears it at least. It hurts so much when you already feel like no one cares about you to have someone purposefully try to hurt you when you've just made a mistake. I just needed to vent, hear an outside perspective, or know if anyone else has been there.
pixiedust72 is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Old 07-13-2018, 10:00 PM   #2

ShadowGX exists

My Mood:

163 hugs
given
Default Re: Fired through text

Fired over text? That's kinda unprofessional. >:\

She probably thought you were just lazy to take that many days off, that's the sense I get from her reply being more a lecture. Even if you told her it was for depression, she probably wouldn't buy it or would think it's an excuse. Mental illness in general is not understood or accommodated for.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:10 PM   #3

11 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowGX View Post
Fired over text? That's kinda unprofessional. >:\

She probably thought you were just lazy to take that many days off, that's the sense I get from her reply being more a lecture. Even if you told her it was for depression, she probably wouldn't buy it or would think it's an excuse. Mental illness in general is not understood or accommodated for.
And that's understandable. But when someone comes to you and says they're sorry it's kind of heartless to tell them they'll never be successful if they keep this up. It's a chronic illness. I'll be better at times but... she basically told me I'll never be successful.
Hugs from:
Old 07-13-2018, 10:26 PM   #4
formerly hankster

unaluna "President Coma Ti Chiamo" i.e., pres. watsisname

My Mood:

5 yr Member
32.9k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I would say, she ADVISED you that in HER world, under the rules SHE follows, success requires something else. I wasnt very good at showing up due to depression either, but i could offer something else (speed and accuracy), so bosses put up with me for as long as they found me useful.

It may be common sense in her world, it wasnt in mine. We werent all raised the same way. Im sure we have qualities her darling daughters dont. So what.

Play your own game, not hers.
unaluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Old 07-14-2018, 01:18 PM   #5
Wisest Elder Ever

Fuzzybear has no updates.

10 yr Member
42k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

She sounds like a jerk, imo. If she’s so freakin “successful” maybe she could take a lesson in humility.

I’d walk away from this *** hole with my head held high. She has failed to define your worth. Or your ability to “succeed in life”.... don’t play her game.

Last edited by Fuzzybear; 07-14-2018 at 02:15 PM..
Fuzzybear is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Old 07-14-2018, 03:12 PM   #6
Grand Magnate

Cocosurviving Anxiety go away

My Mood:

5 yr Member
230 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I would call your local EEOC and NAMI. Good luck.

Twitter: @cocosurviving
Cocosurviving.wordpress.com
Cocosurviving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 03:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member
emptynightmare has no updates.

763 hugs
given

sorry to be like this, but how many sick days did you take? what is the company's policy around sick days? was it unclear, did all the employees know about it? could you have asked someone? did your employer know about your MI?

yes, your employer was rude, and I am very sorry for the way the firing went down. remember that you have strengths, and hopefully this influences your job search. what about the job did you like, not like, excel at, not excel at? apply it to the future. i guess the biggest question would be whether the employer had a point.

when I was fired (over email) I spent months on that question. I decided that there were some good points they made and I did make a mistake, but even so there were problems from the beginning and the job was not a good one because there was a lack of communication, ostracization, lack of clarity around who my boss was, and they misunderstood all my attempts to socialize, and even misunderstood my attitude when I asked questions about my assignments. I did though learn a bit about socializing, communicating in the workplace, though I think that they were mostly at fault.

but I was fired through a brief email, then I requested a phone call with another boss and smoothed things over as best as I could (and asked if a reference was possible as well as coordinated how to hand off my workload to them). if you're fired I think you probably won't get your job back unless you have a really good case. so it's best to leave under good terms so they don't tell a future employer. I apologized, she reiterated all my issues and character faults and also told me they were crucial to my future, and I accepted them and thanked her even though I disagreed with her.

I would take your employer's words as harsh advice, and not as a response to your apology. I think even if you hadn't apologized, she might have told you that. in this situation, an apology doesn't really change the fact that, in her eyes, you weren't right for the job.

I don't know much about navigating with mental illness in the workplace though because I never told an employer about my issues.

Last edited by emptynightmare; 07-14-2018 at 03:57 PM..
emptynightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:01 PM   #8
just me wantng to be free

eskielover has no updates.

My Mood:

10 yr Member
9,066 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

As a computer engineer there was no chance of taking excess sick leave. When I ended up having to I set up being put on medical leave of absense if/when I was able to come back. If you are having that much trouble going to work it might be best for you to consider disability.

After 15 years in my career I had a breakdown & ended up with major depression & anxiety that got worse not better. My pdoc was the one who encouraged the disability that ended up becoming permanent.

Trying to hold down a job when depression is in control is virtually impossible & only adds to the depression. Disability takes away that pressure that only adds to the depression.

There were 2 guys I worked with who were out on medical leave for mental health issues. Accommodation was made for them to do their jobs when they came back.

Don't know the size of the company you were working for but a reasonable size company will have an HR department tbat will confidentially accomodate for disabilities coordinated through one's pdoc or T.

Just some thoughts

In loving memory of Mister my first & very special horse
WyndSong Farm

“One doesn’t have to operate with great malice to do great harm. The absence of empathy and understanding are sufficient.”
(Charles M. Blow)
eskielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:06 PM   #9

11 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by emptynightmare View Post

I would take your employer's words as harsh advice, and not as a response to your apology. I think even if you hadn't apologized, she might have told you that. in this situation, an apology doesn't really change the fact that, in her eyes, you weren't right for the job
And I have no doubt that I was the one at fault. Yes, I think she had everything she wanted to say planned and was stewing over it for a day. But I still am hurt that she chose to hold a grudge and attack me personally. She was trying to give me advice but she did so by insulting me multiple times. If it was because she actually cared, she wouldn't have done that. I found it very immature and felt like I was having a high school fight. It seemed like the point of the phone call was to make me feel bad about what I'd done. When I called and started by saying I was sorry she was still devoted to the plan of making me feel bad. I don't feel like that's professional.

(And I know I won't be getting a good reference).
Old 07-14-2018, 04:11 PM   #10

11 hugs
given

I don't want anyone reading this to think I think it's okay to take excess sick days. I KNOW it's not but I made a mistake like everyone does and got what I deserved (being fired). What I'm upset about is the fact that she chose to insult me, wouldn't call me until a day after she texted me I was fired, brought up things I did wrong that I had NO IDEA were problems (she cited me not calling her back once as being unreliable. I thought she was just going down a list and calling everyone plus I didn't get her message until late that night). What I'm not ok with is her telling me that I lack common sense because I don't know the never established workplace rules. She can do whatever she wants as far as my job but it's just not right to insult someone who has made a mistake and wants to make it right.