Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Depression

advertisement
Unread 10-12-2017, 02:42 PM   #1
Vilatus has no updates.

Default Afternoons are very low

So I just need a place to put this, as well as some advice maybe.

I have depression, and it's mostly managed by a combination of medications. I can get out of bed in the morning, and feel fairly motivated up until around 1 PM. At 1 PM, my day at class ends, and I go home. I get in an extremely low mood where I don't want to do anything, and honestly even lack the energy to move from say the couch to my bed. There's not even a particular reason why, I just suddenly feel awful. It lasts from about 1 PM to around 5-7 PM usually.

Could it be that it's just a low point in the level of medications in my system? Should I change the schedule? Currently I take my medications when I get up (7:30 AM), and when I go to bed (around 9PM).

Any help is appreciated.
Vilatus is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Unread 10-12-2017, 03:06 PM   #2
Winterbritt has no updates.

49 hugs
given
Default Re: Afternoons are very low

Hi there

Have you considered maybe scheduling through this part of the day? I used to have a written checklist of things to do after work because I felt this weird sluggish loneliness everyday. The schedule was like: check the mail, feed the dogs, light a candle, read 10 pages in the bathtub, choose a tv show to watch later, etc.

Maybe that would help you push through and maybe create something to look forward to?

"I promise if you keep searching for everything beautiful in this world, eventually you will become it." Tyler Kent White
Winterbritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2017, 03:09 PM   #3
Vilatus has no updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbritt View Post
Hi there

Have you considered maybe scheduling through this part of the day? I used to have a written checklist of things to do after work because I felt this weird sluggish loneliness everyday. The schedule was like: check the mail, feed the dogs, light a candle, read 10 pages in the bathtub, choose a tv show to watch later, etc.

Maybe that would help you push through and maybe create something to look forward to?
I've tried that, but there isn't necessarily always something to do. I try to look after my pets, clean house, etc. Maybe I'll try volunteering or something.
Unread 10-12-2017, 03:20 PM   #4
Reclusive Old Troll

Skeezyks has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
7,799 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile Re: Afternoons are very low

This certainly could be related to your med's. When I've had problems such as this in the past my pdoc always simply suggested varying the times at which I would take my medication. It might be worthwhile discussing this with your prescriber.

The other thing though is that this sort of thing can, at least from my perspective, easily become a habit. It may be that returning home simply triggers your low mood. In that case, what may be helpful is to find something else to do instead of going home. Or find something you can go back out & do as soon as you get home. For example: join a fitness center or take up running, swimming, etc. depending on your circumstances. Other options might be go to the library, or even to a coffee shop, to study.

What my experience suggests to me is that it is certainly worthwhile to discuss this with your prescriber. But even if you are able to change the way you take your med's, or make some changes in the med's you're taking, chances are until you find some way to avoid simply going home when your classes end, you're likely to continue to struggle with this. Good luck!
"Oh, do not say / My spirit is not worn-- / As curtains furl / In the west wind, / I am more withered / Than the chrysanthemums' / Yellow flowers." (From a poem by the poetess Li Ching-Jau, China, Southern Sung period, c. 1125 A.D.)
Skeezyks is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 10-12-2017, 03:37 PM   #5
Wisest Elder Ever

Fuzzybear has no updates.

10 yr Member
34.6k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Unread 10-13-2017, 05:58 AM   #6
Winterbritt has no updates.

49 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilatus View Post
I've tried that, but there isn't necessarily always something to do. I try to look after my pets, clean house, etc. Maybe I'll try volunteering or something.
Yep, I get that. The part about scheduling that helped me was that I created the things to do ahead of time. And I wrote them down so I could check them off. There wasn't a question of what came next. It prevented that internal conversation where I was like "what should i do now?" that always ended up with me responding that I didn't feel like doing anything.

"I promise if you keep searching for everything beautiful in this world, eventually you will become it." Tyler Kent White
Winterbritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2017, 09:20 AM   #7
Magnate

Shazerac is attempting to contact the mother ship.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
1,186 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vilatus View Post
So I just need a place to put this, as well as some advice maybe.

I have depression, and it's mostly managed by a combination of medications. I can get out of bed in the morning, and feel fairly motivated up until around 1 PM. At 1 PM, my day at class ends, and I go home. I get in an extremely low mood where I don't want to do anything, and honestly even lack the energy to move from say the couch to my bed. There's not even a particular reason why, I just suddenly feel awful. It lasts from about 1 PM to around 5-7 PM usually.

Could it be that it's just a low point in the level of medications in my system? Should I change the schedule? Currently I take my medications when I get up (7:30 AM), and when I go to bed (around 9PM).

Any help is appreciated.
I've been having this same exact problem. I feel good in the morning but when afternoon rolls around I crash big time. I take all my meds at night. None of my meds are meds are extended release. Thanks for this post. It has me thinking that maybe I need to spread out my meds through the day. I'm going to talk to my Pdoc about this.

Eat a live frog for breakfast every morning and nothing worse can happen to you that day!

"Ask yourself whether the dream of heaven and greatness should be left waiting for us in our graves - or whether it should be ours here and now and on this earth. Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Bipolar type 2 rapid cycling DX 2013 -
Seroquel 100 > 75mg as of 9/1/17
Celexa 40mg > 30 mg as of 9/1/17 > 20mg 9/19/17
Xanax .5 mg prn
Modafanil 200mg > 100mg as of 9/1/17

Shazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2017, 09:22 AM   #8
Vilatus has no updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazerac View Post
I've been having this same exact problem. I feel good in the morning but when afternoon rolls around I crash big time. I take all my meds at night. None of my meds are meds are extended release. Thanks for this post. It has me thinking that maybe I need to spread out my meds through the day. I'm going to talk to my Pdoc about this.
Do you take a double dose of any of your medications? Spreading out the doses for me has helped, I used to have issues getting up in the morning. I used to take them all at night as well.
Unread 10-13-2017, 09:22 AM   #9
Vilatus has no updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbritt View Post
Yep, I get that. The part about scheduling that helped me was that I created the things to do ahead of time. And I wrote them down so I could check them off. There wasn't a question of what came next. It prevented that internal conversation where I was like "what should i do now?" that always ended up with me responding that I didn't feel like doing anything.
I'll try and come up with some busy work. Thank you for the suggestion!!
Hugs from:
Unread 10-13-2017, 09:35 AM   #10
Wise Elder

Jennifer 1967 has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
15.6k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

I have the same problem. I feel happy and productive and energized when I first get up and crash around 12-1. I take my day meds between 10-2. Maybe I need to spread them out. I notice on those days that I get busy and stay busy, I feel upbeat but if I just go sit in the recliner and watch tv, I get down. Sounds like we both need to make a list of things to do. Good luck.
Jennifer 1967 is offline   Reply With Quote