Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Depression

advertisement
Unread 09-13-2017, 04:40 PM   #1
ShareYourStory has no updates.

My Mood:

48 hugs
given
Default I CAN influence things

I've recently realized that for as long as I can remember, I've had this deep depression.. It developed so early on I've learned to see it as part of me - 'just who I am'. But it's not! This depressed mind is not who I am, it's a result of things that have happened in my life. I don't have to be imprisoned by it forever!

I've decided to deal with it.. And I've recognized that at least some of the depression comes from the thought that 'I cannot influence things in my own life', that I can't change things. This used to be true - as a kid, I was so scared of my dad I wanted my mom to leave him, but since she didn't, I was trapped with him as well. That was then - this is now

Now that I'm an adult, I CAN influence things. If I find myself with a bad person again, I can leave. I need to sort my life out in a way that I don't have to suffer anymore - and I CAN do it! It's all about making the right choices, and about changing direction if I take a wrong turn.. The most important thing I need to realise is that I'm not that child anymore, trapped without options, without any real opportunity to influence my life - now, I'm free..
ShareYourStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:

advertisement
Unread 09-13-2017, 04:43 PM   #2
Poohbah

Shazerac is attempting to contact the mother ship.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
379 hugs
given
Default Re: I CAN influence things

Eat a live frog for breakfast every morning and nothing worse can happen to you that day!

Please don't sew a label on me...I hate stitches

Bipolar type 2 rapid cycling DX 2013
Seroquel 100 > 75mg as of 9/1/17
Celexa 40mg > 30 mg as of 9/1/17 > 20mg 9/19/17
Xanax .5 mg prn
Modafanil 200mg > 100mg as of 9/1/17

Shazerac is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 09-13-2017, 04:47 PM   #3
Wisest Elder Ever

Fuzzybear has no updates.

10 yr Member
33k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Unread 09-13-2017, 07:29 PM   #4

FallDuskTrain has no updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShareYourStory View Post
I've recently realized that for as long as I can remember, I've had this deep depression.. It developed so early on I've learned to see it as part of me - 'just who I am'. But it's not! This depressed mind is not who I am, it's a result of things that have happened in my life. I don't have to be imprisoned by it forever!

I've decided to deal with it.. And I've recognized that at least some of the depression comes from the thought that 'I cannot influence things in my own life', that I can't change things. This used to be true - as a kid, I was so scared of my dad I wanted my mom to leave him, but since she didn't, I was trapped with him as well. That was then - this is now

Now that I'm an adult, I CAN influence things. If I find myself with a bad person again, I can leave. I need to sort my life out in a way that I don't have to suffer anymore - and I CAN do it! It's all about making the right choices, and about changing direction if I take a wrong turn.. The most important thing I need to realise is that I'm not that child anymore, trapped without options, without any real opportunity to influence my life - now, I'm free..

Yes, we CAN choose to have control over out life and actions which influences the quality of life.
Navigating through life while suffering from depression is awful and t is a lot of hard work.
FallDuskTrain is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 09-13-2017, 10:25 PM   #5
Winterbritt has no updates.

15 hugs
given

It gave me a boost just reading this! If you havent heard of Byron Katie and "the work", check her out on YouTube!

"I promise if you keep searching for everything beautiful in this world, eventually you will become it." Tyler Kent White
Winterbritt is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from: