Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Depression

advertisement
Unread 09-10-2017, 07:11 PM   #1

FallDuskTrain has no updates.

Default Reaching out- Need suggestions in dealing with morning depression

I have majority depression and it has gradually gotten worse the last several years and recently, it has become intolerable.
My question is about the mornings. Every morning, there's no miss, I wake up with severe anxiety and cry for about 20-25 minutes before I force myself to get out of bed.
Can you share your experiences and how did you deal with your morning depression? Did you have a ritual? I need to figure this out otherwise I will lose my job.
Thank you in advance.
FallDuskTrain is online now   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:

advertisement
Unread 09-10-2017, 07:39 PM   #2
Poohbah

will19 has no updates.

My Mood:

3 yr Member
392 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Reaching out- Need suggestions in dealing with morning depression

I have those quite a bit. After having breakfast, I feel better. And then I would feel better when I get going with either work or doing things at home. That's just me. I hope this helps.
will19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2017, 08:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by will19 View Post
I have those quite a bit. After having breakfast, I feel better. And then I would feel better when I get going with either work or doing things at home. That's just me. I hope this helps.

Thank you. So, you basically force yourself to get out of bed?
J
Unread 09-10-2017, 09:28 PM   #4
C.D.K has no updates.

I usually just lay in bed giving myself a pep talk. Telling myself I can do this and that I need to keep going.
C.D.K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2017, 09:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.D.K View Post
I usually just lay in bed giving myself a pep talk. Telling myself I can do this and that I need to keep going.

Thank you.
Unread 09-11-2017, 10:23 AM   #6
Winterbritt has no updates.

15 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallDuskTrain View Post
I have majority depression and it has gradually gotten worse the last several years and recently, it has become intolerable.
My question is about the mornings. Every morning, there's no miss, I wake up with severe anxiety and cry for about 20-25 minutes before I force myself to get out of bed.
Can you share your experiences and how did you deal with your morning depression? Did you have a ritual? I need to figure this out otherwise I will lose my job.
Thank you in advance.
Mine was always worse in the morning also. It occurred to me one day that infants always cry when they wake up, like it's just the shock of changing environments or situations on a sensitive soul or something. And I thought that babies are probably the closest thing to pure emotional innocence as you can get, so if it's alright for them to have trouble adjusting to the day, I guess it's ok for me too.

"I promise if you keep searching for everything beautiful in this world, eventually you will become it." Tyler Kent White
Winterbritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2017, 01:32 PM   #7

Desiree2006 has no updates.

My Mood:

700 hugs
given

I haven't still figured a way. When I set an alarm I keep pressing the snooze again and again and finally I switch off the alarm. I think initially the meds have to work to help you and maybe self pep talk. And it's ok to cry if it helps you. Also try exercising at some time during the day...it may help eventually. But I still feel meds need to give the first push if the depression is too severe.
Oh! I keep a weekly target - say over 2-3weeks I'll try to get up 15mins early.
Hope it helps.
If you too have ideas pls share them with me. They will help me.
Thanks and hugs to you.
Desiree2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2017, 02:13 PM   #8
Crazy cat lady

Little Cat Magyar vagyok

My Mood:

2 yr Member
3,286 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Have you tried one of those light gadgets that gradually get lighter as the morning gets closer? They have them with different soothing colours and nature sounds too. There are lots on Amazon.
Little Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 09-12-2017, 02:13 PM   #9
Winterbritt has no updates.

15 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiree2006 View Post
I haven't still figured a way. When I set an alarm I keep pressing the snooze again and again and finally I switch off the alarm. I think initially the meds have to work to help you and maybe self pep talk. And it's ok to cry if it helps you. Also try exercising at some time during the day...it may help eventually. But I still feel meds need to give the first push if the depression is too severe.
Oh! I keep a weekly target - say over 2-3weeks I'll try to get up 15mins early.
Hope it helps.
If you too have ideas pls share them with me. They will help me.
Thanks and hugs to you.
I figured out how it works for me. I will share this in case it can help you at all. I found that I just started skipping that internal conversation about getting out of bed. As soon as I found myself starting to talk to myself about having to get up and not wanting to get up I just threw my body into action and stood up.

This is the article I wrote about it. I hope it helps you! Dump Depression and Get Yourself out of Bed - Winterbritt

I also think it helps to know what you're going to do in the morning, to have a schedule of events lined out, even if it's just really simple things like 1. eat a granola bar in the bathtub. 2. add bubbles to bathwater. 3. pick granola crumbs out of bathwater.

"I promise if you keep searching for everything beautiful in this world, eventually you will become it." Tyler Kent White
Winterbritt is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 09-12-2017, 02:22 PM   #10

Desiree2006 has no updates.

My Mood:

700 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbritt View Post
I figured out how it works for me. I will share this in case it can help you at all. I found that I just started skipping that internal conversation about getting out of bed. As soon as I found myself starting to talk to myself about having to get up and not wanting to get up I just threw my body into action and stood up.

This is the article I wrote about it. I hope it helps you! Dump Depression and Get Yourself out of Bed - Winterbritt

I also think it helps to know what you're going to do in the morning, to have a schedule of events lined out, even if it's just really simple things like 1. eat a granola bar in the bathtub. 2. add bubbles to bathwater. 3. pick granola crumbs out of bathwater.

Thanks so much. I know that it will help.
Desiree2006 is offline   Reply With Quote