Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Depression

advertisement
Unread 08-19-2017, 12:15 PM   #1
Kepler22b has no updates.

My Mood:

3 hugs
given
Default Positive "Zen" Steps

This is a thread where I will post on a regular basis the "Zen" steps that I am taking in an effort to manage my depression. I have been practicing yoga for several months and recently I have started to practice Zen meditation. I also find comfort by being and observing Nature

You are welcome to add yours.

Last edited by Kepler22b; 08-19-2017 at 01:36 PM.
Kepler22b is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:

advertisement
Unread 08-19-2017, 12:21 PM   #2
952p65823 has no updates.

119 hugs
given
Default Re: Positive "Zen" Steps

There's a Hebrew phrase, naar hayiti gam zakanti, I once was young but now am old, and finally I think I am getting better at being mindful of my moods. One thing I tell myself is "you're having a bad mood, but it doesn't have to affect anything in reality."
952p65823 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 08-19-2017, 01:26 PM   #3

My Mood:

3 hugs
given
Default The Day Before Yesterday

Negative thoughts were racing inside my head and I felt hopeless and mentally “lazy”. I didn't want to walk and practice yoga. I wanted to keep feeling miserable…or so it seemed.

I wrestled this negative thinking and forced myself to drive to one of the places where I had been practicing yoga this summer. I would leave my options open. At the end, I pushed myself to walk and practice yoga.

I am glad I did it because while doing the shoulder stand pose a star looked straight into my eyes. On the way back to the car, bats flew around me and an owl appeared out of the blue. I began to imitate the owl’s call and the bird checked me out few more times before disappearing into the coming night.

At the parking lot, I decided to watch the starry sky and, with some patience, three shooting stars greeted me; then I drove back home feeling better. My mind was not so “heavy” anymore.

Last edited by Kepler22b; 08-19-2017 at 03:51 PM. Reason: English is not my first language, past tense is probably better
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 08-19-2017, 01:29 PM   #4

My Mood:

3 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by 952p65823 View Post
There's a Hebrew phrase, naar hayiti gam zakanti, I once was young but now am old, and finally I think I am getting better at being mindful of my moods. One thing I tell myself is "you're having a bad mood, but it doesn't have to affect anything in reality."
Well, that's the hard part. How can I prevent this bad mood from affecting my perception of reality?
Unread 08-19-2017, 01:34 PM   #5

My Mood:

3 hugs
given
Default Yesterday

Lately my work environment is a factor that's increasing my depression and feeling of being trapped.

After work, I felt hopelessly lonely (like any Fridays and weekends). I forced myself to look for a new place where to practice yoga. While driving I felt very frustrated and kept complaining about other drivers even if they were not doing anything bad.

The new potential location was not good so I drove to a different place. After walking to the right spot the sound of jets made me feel very frustrated again. I wanted to give up and walk back to the parking lot. Once again, I forced myself to ignore the booming noise of the jets and began practicing yoga while the sun was setting.

Eventually, those loud airplanes flew away and I felt more relaxed. However, negative thoughts still came in and out of my head like waves crushing on rocks. Despite of all that, I was glad that I forced myself to be there:

Breeze, clouds and rainbows.
Baby swallows tucked inside their nest
Great blue herons and terns’
My mouth full of sweet blackberries

Last edited by Kepler22b; 08-19-2017 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Yes, the past tense sounds better
Unread 08-19-2017, 02:55 PM   #6
952p65823 has no updates.

119 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kepler22b View Post
Well, that's the hard part. How can I prevent this bad mood from affecting my perception of reality?
Yeah, that's the problem, right?!! I can't always reflect my way out of the mood. But sometimes I succeed. It sounds like you're doing the right thing, looking for a new yoga place.
952p65823 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 08-19-2017, 04:48 PM   #7

My Mood:

3 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by 952p65823 View Post
Yeah, that's the problem, right?!! I can't always reflect my way out of the mood. But sometimes I succeed. It sounds like you're doing the right thing, looking for a new yoga place.
Looking for a new yoga place is just one way to cope with negative thinking and self-loathing. Sometimes it does not work and I have to let it go without judging myself. So I have to keep re-inventing the wheel and find another kind of Zen step that is meaningful and helpful to me.
Unread 08-23-2017, 12:00 AM   #8

My Mood:

3 hugs
given
Default Sometimes I just have to let it go....

Last Sunday and Monday I had a really hard time to keep my negative thinking in check. Despite hiking, yoga, swimming, observing the partial eclipse and then more hiking and swimming and yoga I could not keep my mood stable in a "neutral place" for a decent length of time.

Once again I got mad at bad drivers and let a boater to spoil my yoga practice. At the end, I gave up fighting those negative thoughts and feelings and told myself to let it go without beating myself up for being weak.
Unread 08-23-2017, 12:25 AM   #9

My Mood:

3 hugs
given
Default This post = act of self-kindness!

At last today I stopped procrastinating! I sorted out the first batch of my belongings and mailed the first box. Well done!

(ps: it's extremely hard for me to be kind to myself, especially in this way)

Buenas noches!
Unread 08-25-2017, 12:46 AM   #10

My Mood:

3 hugs
given
Default Re: This post = act of self-kindness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kepler22b View Post
At last today I stopped procrastinating! I sorted out the first batch of my belongings and mailed the first box. Well done!

(ps: it's extremely hard for me to be kind to myself, especially in this way)

Buenas noches!
Another challenging day, but when I finally took two more boxes to the post office and got them out of my sight it was as if a weight had been lifted inside my head.

The chatty postmaster helped me to have a laugh and by laughing I was able to brake the chain of negative thinking that had been harassing me all morning.
"Thanks for this!" says: