Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Depression

advertisement
Unread 07-16-2017, 07:01 PM   #1

motogypsy has no updates.

Default Feelings, advice?

When I was 17, I moved to California and when I was 22 I went to Maine but now I'm 24 and living back in my hometown (a very small, rather boring town), working a full time job (3rd shift) and about to settle into my first home. I don't know if it's just monotony or what but I've lost pretty much all zest for life.

I don't want to take pictures, ride, go on small adventures or even participate in a regular routine of life at all. I'm basically just snowballing my depression from the time I wake up until the time I go to bed.

I feel like I should be having the time of my life and enjoying things and I can't. I can barely drag myself out of the house most days.

Anyone have any experiences like this?

Last edited by motogypsy; 07-16-2017 at 08:59 PM.
motogypsy is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Unread 07-16-2017, 09:54 PM   #2
Wise Elder

Rohag is updating.

8 yr Member
5,966 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Feelings, advice?

Hello & Welcome, Motogypsy.

Yes, I've had roughly similar experiences and feelings. At this point, I have trouble caring I've mostly lost the ability to truly enjoy things.

I'm concerned about the effects of working third shift on your sleep. It may be necessary, but it can be a stressor.

Please make yourself at home.
Unread 07-17-2017, 02:15 PM   #3
Wisest Elder Ever

Fuzzybear has no updates.

10 yr Member
33.2k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Unread 07-17-2017, 02:58 PM   #4

battlesymphony has no updates.

38 hugs
given

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time, I can definitely relate to how you're feeling. If you did something that you used to enjoy do you think it might give you even a brief respite from your feelings? I know it's hard to motivate yourself sometimes, especially when you are so low, but it may be helpful to try. I hope things improve for you soon. Take care.
battlesymphony is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 07-17-2017, 03:17 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohag View Post
Hello & Welcome, Motogypsy.

Yes, I've had roughly similar experiences and feelings. At this point, I have trouble caring I've mostly lost the ability to truly enjoy things.

I'm concerned about the effects of working third shift on your sleep. It may be necessary, but it can be a stressor.

Please make yourself at home.
Third definitely hasn't been good for me. I'm a morning person. I gained weight for a little while and had a hard time losing it. Hopefully a first shift position I coming open soon. 2 years of this and I'm ready.
Unread 07-17-2017, 03:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlesymphony View Post
I'm sorry you're having such a hard time, I can definitely relate to how you're feeling. If you did something that you used to enjoy do you think it might give you even a brief respite from your feelings? I know it's hard to motivate yourself sometimes, especially when you are so low, but it may be helpful to try. I hope things improve for you soon. Take care.
I've honestly tried making myself get out and do things but then it's just kind of like a blur. Or like I'm not really interested in what I'm doing. I was hoping trying something new would help but so far not really
Unread 07-17-2017, 04:00 PM   #7

NeedHaldol has no updates.

Doing something creative is very therapeutic. When you create something you are not only focusing on something that helps your well being, but also gives you a sense of satisfaction of accomplishing something.

It could be anything - drawing, writing, water color, oil paint, etc.

My escape is music. I am a mobile DJ as well as an EDM DJ/Producer. It takes me out of a bad headspace if I am in an episode.

I literally listen to music all day except when my wife and I are spending our time hanging out and watching tv or movies.

Even in the shower I have a bluetooth speaker and listen to pandora.
NeedHaldol is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says: