Psych Central

Go Back   Forums at Psych Central > Mental Health Support > Depression

advertisement
Unread 06-19-2017, 06:09 PM   #1
Harris2017 has no updates.

Default Grief to Relapse?

I lost my dog almost 2 months ago. I had him for 9 years- from 5 weeks to 9 years old. He was my world. If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't be here alive today. My dog saved my life and now he is gone. It has been horrible. I've had quite a lot of downs. When I was younger, around age 14, I struggled with depression and anxiety. When I quit drinking in 2012, I got a lot better, met my husband, and my Life was fantastic! But now I lost My best friend and I can't get happy. I'm full of anxiety and have panic attacks. I get sick to my stomach, dizzy, and chest pains. I get excited at the thought I get to meet him at rainbow bridge and sometimes pray that's it's soon. I understand grief is complex, but at what point does grief beecome a depression/anxiety relapse? At what point should I be talking to someone? I've told my husband my feelings and he just throws it off as a rough patch. Which is true but I don't feel whole. I'm empty and I see no light that this is going to be easier.

I just want my best friend and I want to be ok again.
Harris2017 is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Unread 06-19-2017, 06:48 PM   #2
Grand Magnate

Jennifer 1967 has no updates.

My Mood:

2 yr Member
7,096 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Grief to Relapse?

I see this is your first post so welcome to PC. You'll find lots of support and encouragement here. I'm sorry for your loss. I couldn't fathom how I would feel if I lost my cat or dog. It sounds like you are going through the stages of grief and are really struggling. How do you feel about seeing your family doctor or a psychiatrist and run this by them if this continues? Your grief might have kicked off your depression and anxiety again.
Jennifer 1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2017, 06:51 PM   #3
Poohbah

scaredandconfused taking things one day at a time

My Mood:

3 yr Member
1,055 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Hello Harris2017, I see this is your first post so welcome to PC! I hope you find your time here to be of benefit.

I am very sorry for your loss. It sounds like you are grieving and what you are feeling is completely understandable - you lost your best friend and it hurts. Have you considered seeing a therapist to go through the grieving process?
scaredandconfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2017, 06:53 PM   #4

I don't know at what point to go see someone. I know grief is very complex, but since I've struggled with drepeession in the past I can't actually tell a difference. Is it really normal to still feel depressed and have panic attacks after 2 months? I don't want to go in asking for help and be written off as it being just grief.
Unread 06-19-2017, 06:54 PM   #5
Wise Old Troll

Skeezyks has no updates.

My Mood:

7,531 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Smile Re: Grief to Relapse?

Hello Harris: My condolences on the loss of your best friend. I've lost a few over the years. And I know how difficult it can be. I don't know if there is a particular point at which grief becomes depression / anxiety. I think this probably varies with the individual. However, from what you wrote, my personal opinion is you're more than ready to be talking to someone about your grief. And, of course, the other really good therapy for this kind of grief is... a new puppy!

I see this is your first post here on PC. So... to PsychCentral… from the Skeezyks! May the time you spend here be of benefit.

PsychCentral is a great place to get information as well as support for mental health issues. The more you post, & reply to other members’ posts, the more a part of the community you will become. Plus there are social groups you can join & chat rooms where you’ll be able to connect with other PC members in real time (once your first 5 posts have been reviewed & approved.) Lots of great stuff! So please keep posting!
Skeezyks is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 06-19-2017, 07:18 PM   #6

Ok thank you! It's horrible! I had to put a dog down before and it was rough for the first few weeks but then it got easier. But this has been like none other. I got a puppy after I had to put my other dog down but it didn't work for me. I ended up resenting the puppy so I rehomed him. So getting another puppy is not an option at this point.