advertisement
Unread 03-20-2017, 10:42 AM   #1
Magnate

DechanDawa has no updates.

My Mood:

751 hugs
given
Trig Between a rock and a hard place...

After calling a bunch of crisis hotlines in December and January I learned ways to manage my severe depression so that it won't escalate.

This means I don't think about going to the emergency room...which would be costly. I don't call the hotlines anymore.

I do all the stuff...deep breathing, hot bath, walk, and it helps. If I feel anxious I take the herb valerian...triple the recommended dose. It is sedating so not great for daytime.

The depression is about the same with frequent doses of suicidal ideation. It isn't getting better and I feel like I should just ignore it.

I won't take AD's so you could say I have been and continue to be suffering from unmedicated severe depression.

Mental health care has not helped.

DechanDawa is offline   Reply With Quote

advertisement
Unread 03-20-2017, 11:08 AM   #2
Chat Moderator

scaredandconfused taking things one day at a time

My Mood:

3 yr Member
870 hugs
given
Default Re: Between a rock and a hard place...

Hi there,

May I ask why you won't take medication? It can be helpful for depression, especially ones that are severe enough that therapy alone isn't enough.
scaredandconfused is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2017, 11:19 AM   #3
Magnate

My Mood:

751 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredandconfused View Post
Hi there,

May I ask why you won't take medication? It can be helpful for depression, especially ones that are severe enough that therapy alone isn't enough.

I have severe side effects from AD's and they didn't help. My medical records list me as allergic to AD's. have tried twice. I am sorry but I consider AD's poison for me. Every single person I know irl on AD's has tried to come off them many times and can't because of severe withdrawals. To me that is the same as being addicted. Doctors are quick to put one on these drugs and they tell the patient not to worry about coming off them. That's what the doctor at my health care provider told me. To trust her. And she is not even there anymore! I was put on a drug without being told anything about side effects or given a pamphlet with the drug. I did not sleep for three days straight, had severe pain and migraines, and became suicidal. In fact, that is where the suicidal ideation started - with an AD. I got off the drug in a week and I will remain unmedicated. Whether or not AD's help with depression is not clinically known. I am not going to spend a life on and off and switching AD's. That is not good treatment at all.

Unread 03-20-2017, 11:34 AM   #4
Chat Moderator

scaredandconfused taking things one day at a time

My Mood:

3 yr Member
870 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by DechanDawa View Post
I have severe side effects from AD's and they didn't help. My medical records list me as allergic to AD's. have tried twice. I am sorry but I consider AD's poison for me. Every single person I know irl on AD's has tried to come off them many times and can't because of severe withdrawals. To me that is the same as being addicted. Doctors are quick to put one on these drugs and they tell the patient not to worry about coming off them. That's what the doctor at my health care provider told me. To trust her. And she is not even there anymore! I was put on a drug without being told anything about side effects or given a pamphlet with the drug. I did not sleep for three days straight, had severe pain and migraines, and became suicidal. In fact, that is where the suicidal ideation started - with an AD. I got off the drug in a week and I will remain unmedicated. Whether or not AD's help with depression is not clinically known. I am not going to spend a life on and off and switching AD's. That is not good treatment at all.
Sorry to hear that you had such bad side effects, and that you weren't given any info on the drug you were taking. I am curious, where do you live? Here in Canada they have always given me information on any new meds I am taking. I recently started a medication for nightmares and the doctor and pharmacist let me know potential side effects and all that fun stuff.

I take an anti-depressant and can't honestly say 100% whether or not it's making a big difference. I feel better, but is that because of the AD, or another factor? I would like to think that it's helping, if even a bit. Fortunately it's free so that helps the decision making process a bit.

Honestly, things like exercise and socializing with others make a more noticeable difference (for me) than medication does. It may feel patronizing when your therapist encourages you to get outside daily, but it is a healthy thing to do if you are able.

If you are going through a severe depression though, I imagine during the hardest times you are probably laying down a lot, possibly sleeping the day away. You find it hard to do even the simplest tasks, everything is exhausting. So when you hear "just go outside, do some exercise, talk to a friend" it feels patronizing because it feels impossible to get out of bed, how are you supposed to go outside? During those times, be especially kind and gentle with yourself. Celebrate small victories such as taking a shower, or eating something healthy.

During my worst depression ever in the hospital, I stopped eating and stayed in bed most of the time. ECT was the only thing to bring me out of that one. It was far more effective than any medication I've taken, and would recommend it as a LAST CASE SCENARIO treatment, simply because of the memory side effects. If there were no side effects from ECT, I'd probably be doing maintenance treatments to this day. Just something else to consider if things get so bad that nothing else helps.
scaredandconfused is online now   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 03-20-2017, 11:50 AM   #5
Magnate

My Mood:

751 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredandconfused View Post
Sorry to hear that you had such bad side effects, and that you weren't given any info on the drug you were taking. I am curious, where do you live? Here in Canada they have always given me information on any new meds I am taking. I recently started a medication for nightmares and the doctor and pharmacist let me know potential side effects and all that fun stuff.

I take an anti-depressant and can't honestly say 100% whether or not it's making a big difference. I feel better, but is that because of the AD, or another factor? I would like to think that it's helping, if even a bit. Fortunately it's free so that helps the decision making process a bit.

Honestly, things like exercise and socializing with others make a more noticeable difference (for me) than medication does. It may feel patronizing when your therapist encourages you to get outside daily, but it is a healthy thing to do if you are able.

If you are going through a severe depression though, I imagine during the hardest times you are probably laying down a lot, possibly sleeping the day away. You find it hard to do even the simplest tasks, everything is exhausting. So when you hear "just go outside, do some exercise, talk to a friend" it feels patronizing because it feels impossible to get out of bed, how are you supposed to go outside? During those times, be especially kind and gentle with yourself. Celebrate small victories such as taking a shower, or eating something healthy.

During my worst depression ever in the hospital, I stopped eating and stayed in bed most of the time. ECT was the only thing to bring me out of that one. It was far more effective than any medication I've taken, and would recommend it as a LAST CASE SCENARIO treatment, simply because of the memory side effects. If there were no side effects from ECT, I'd probably be doing maintenance treatments to this day. Just something else to consider if things get so bad that nothing else helps.

Thanks. I am in the U.S. I don't know why they didn't discuss side effects. Maybe because family doctors dispense AD's like candy? And usually you get a pamphlet with the drug but I remember the pharmacist just told me that there was a possibility of suicidal ideation with teens so I didn't need to worry. Not true, anyway. After I researched it I found some adults to have this reaction to the drug I was given.

I have stopped day sleeping. I forced myself into a normal sleep schedule so that's good.

I suppose going out doesn't interest me because I have no money, and really it can be lonelier going out in a crowd when you are depressed.

Right now I am looking for a job. It seems insane to go from being in bed to going out and working but for me there will probably be no in-between.

In the U.S. I have a high deductible which means I have to pay for everything. ECT would be out of the question because of the cost as I am already in debt. I could no afford memory loss.

I don't know. I am severely depressed and at the same time the expectation is that I am supposed to go from this to be highly functioning. I can't afford therapy, hospitalization, ECT, drugs or any of it.

I am stuck. And I am the only one who is going to get me out of this.

Also, I really hate where I live at the moment (not just my apt. but the city and state) so I kind of hate going outside because it reminds me of that. But I am certain that has to do with the depression.

I think I will try to establish getting out to walk at least twice a day to get unstuck. Thanks.

Unread 03-20-2017, 11:58 AM   #6
Alchemilla has no updates.

I'm sorry you are severely depressed. I am going through the same thing and it is debilitating. I wish there were a magical cure. I don't think anti-depressants are it. Getting out and walking twice a day sounds good.
Alchemilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2017, 12:07 PM   #7
Magnate

Clara22 trying

My Mood:

3 yr Member
5,239 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Hi,
What ADs did you get in the past?
Hope is definitely not the same thing as optimism. It is not the conviction that something will turn out well, but the certainty that something makes sense, regardless of how it turns out. Vaclav Havel
Clara22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2017, 12:15 PM   #8
Magnate

My Mood:

751 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara22 View Post
Hi,
What ADs did you get in the past?
\\

Why are you asking this? There are people who come on Psych Central who, for various reasons, do not take medication. I am not alone in this. There is a whole group of us. I should not have to defend myself in this regard.

So why would it matter what ADs I was on? I consider ADs poison. If other people want to take these drugs contrary to all the negative evidence then it is their business. If someone talks about the drugs they are on I never ask them, "Have you tried not being on these drugs," because that would be disrespectful. I really wish the drug people on PC would respect the non drug people.

As well, the drug people on here are always giving drug advice and I really wonder why as they are usually not mental health care professionals, doctors, of pdocs.

So why are you asking about what drug I was on? Are you qualified to give medical advice on pharma drugs?

Unread 03-20-2017, 12:22 PM   #9
Magnate

Clara22 trying

My Mood:

3 yr Member
5,239 hugs
given
PC PoohBah!

Not at all. I was curious because I need to start with the psychiatrist again and I don't know about drugs. I just used Prozac, but currently I am not taking any one. I have a lot of concerns about AD, as well
Hope is definitely not the same thing as optimism. It is not the conviction that something will turn out well, but the certainty that something makes sense, regardless of how it turns out. Vaclav Havel
Clara22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2017, 12:29 PM   #10
Magnate

My Mood:

751 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clara22 View Post
Not at all. I was curious because I need to start with the psychiatrist again and I don't know about drugs. I just used Prozac, but currently I am not taking any one. I have a lot of concerns about AD, as well

In that case apologies. There are a lot of pro-drug people on this site. Since medication and therapy are the "go-to" treatment if that doesn't work then it feels like one is sunk.

I don't really want to name what AD's I was on. Anyway, if you read here people are constantly switching drugs and messing with dosage.

For some people ADs cause serious agitation. That has been my case because I have depression and anxiety. It could be that messing with serotonin levels is bad for anxiety.

In fact, some people who go on drugs for depression end up becoming bipolar. This is not uncommon.

It seems to me that the medical establishment is going to 100% advocate taking ADs so we have to be our own advocate.

Again, apologies for being kind of mean but I am in a mean mood today. Sorry.

« Grr | Today... »