advertisement
Unread 03-20-2017, 04:31 PM   #11
Wisest Elder Ever

Fuzzybear has no updates.

10 yr Member
28.3k hugs
given
PC PoohBah!
Default Re: Left alone with severe depression...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DechanDawa View Post
When the counselor called I said I was great and she was all cheerful and talked to me for 20 minutes. Twenty minutes!

No mention of...where did the depression go? Where did the suicidal ideation go?

I mean I could be lying to her while standing on the roof of my apartment building! How clueless can these mental health people be?

It makes me laugh.

I have decided I need to do it on my own and that's that.
I understand... these phone calls are "ridiculous" ...

So is much of the other "stuff" in public mental "health"..

Doing it without them is the only viable option ..

advertisement
Unread 03-20-2017, 04:49 PM   #12
Magnate

DechanDawa has no updates.

My Mood:

733 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzybear View Post
I understand... these phone calls are "ridiculous" ...

So is much of the other "stuff" in public mental "health"..

Doing it without them is the only viable option ..

I think you are in the UK? I have watched documentaries on mental health care through the NHS and it is as bad there as in U.S. Long waits for CBT courses etc.

I think CBT is good...this is what I have been using...but I also have to realize our mental health care system here is not going to help much. There are no CBT courses in my area. So I have a workbook and do it on my own.

I am tired of being severely depressed and especially suicidal. So I had better find my own ways of curing myself.

DechanDawa is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hugs from:
Unread 03-20-2017, 06:03 PM   #13
kkrrhh has no updates.

94 hugs
given

I get what you mean, with a lot of this. I know sometimes having a therapist(/other mental health care provider) who seems so clueless can almost feel like it hurts worse than being without one.

I'm sorry you're suffering, but good job pushing yourself.
kkrrhh is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 03-20-2017, 06:34 PM   #14
Magnate

My Mood:

733 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkrrhh View Post
I get what you mean, with a lot of this. I know sometimes having a therapist(/other mental health care provider) who seems so clueless can almost feel like it hurts worse than being without one.

I'm sorry you're suffering, but good job pushing yourself.

Thanks. It has helped to talk about it and get some feedback. This kind of always happens to me with therapy and therapists. I get restless and dissatisfied and I actually think that drives me to self-improve so I can get away from therapy.

Unread 03-20-2017, 08:47 PM   #15

Altarian Everything goes away in the end.....

My Mood:

3 yr Member
8 hugs
given

I won't say "sorry you are suffering" because enough people have already said that and eventually it's just lip service and has no meaning to us anymore. I understand to a degree the feeling you have with 20 minute phone call is suppose to solve everything. With the clinic i go to for medical their idea of mental health is getting put on a waiting list for a teletherapist that if you are lucky you will get to have a half hour video session once a month. mean while as you wait you get to meet with one of the two unqualified councilors once a week. Mental health is a world wide disease that the world is not willing to handle because it's not one of the "cool deadly" ones like AIDS/HIV, Cancer, or whatnot.

But luckily or not we all have this site to try and help each other since the "professionals" are nonexistent at times.

"Sometimes a person needs to listen to what is not said and ignore that which is being said to find the true meaning of someone's intentions"

I follow my own drum as a tree hugging dirt worshipper and do not follow the teachings of any man made spiritual paths founder. You respect my way of life and i'll respect yours.
Altarian is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 03-20-2017, 09:25 PM   #16
Magnate

My Mood:

733 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altarian View Post
I won't say "sorry you are suffering" because enough people have already said that and eventually it's just lip service and has no meaning to us anymore. I understand to a degree the feeling you have with 20 minute phone call is suppose to solve everything. With the clinic i go to for medical their idea of mental health is getting put on a waiting list for a teletherapist that if you are lucky you will get to have a half hour video session once a month. mean while as you wait you get to meet with one of the two unqualified councilors once a week. Mental health is a world wide disease that the world is not willing to handle because it's not one of the "cool deadly" ones like AIDS/HIV, Cancer, or whatnot.

But luckily or not we all have this site to try and help each other since the "professionals" are nonexistent at times.

Thank you for sharing this. It does hurt to come to the end of a long journey (2.5 years) and a lot of research and trial and error...and to realize that there is not that much help out there. It is complex. I am a writer and I would like to start writing about my experience. Especially for friends and family of those who are suffering. But maybe for health care providers, too. And finally, for those of us who suffer, perhaps we need to raise our voices and be heard.

I read a story about a woman who went to my particular health care provider although she was in a different state. She was jacked around...taken off one AD...put on another...then taken off that and put back on the original...etc. And all with weeks and weeks of not being able to be seen by a pdoc. Well, one morning she drove to the health care provider facility and jumped to her death off their parking garage. A needless wasteful tragic death that left her husband and children reeling.

This story affected me because it was an older woman who was struggling...and all the medication changes probably greatly contributed to her suicide. Her care was inadequate.

As we get older medications act differently in our bodies.

Well, I will stay unmedicated and find a way to get well.

Unread 03-21-2017, 06:19 PM   #17
나의 햇살

wiretwister wonderful but modest

My Mood:

3 yr Member
577 hugs
given

as I said earlier ... there is only one "cure" ... all other paths though helpful are not a cure ... a cure means it is over ... depression is a condition .... not a broke bone ... it is like diabetes ... it must be treated ... and it can be sucessfully managed ... and it has no cure outside of death ...

" ... It does hurt to come to the end of a long journey (2.5 years)..." ... management ... not cured ...

and I truly hope you have many many more years .... and you find the peace and happiness you crave ... write a good story ... let the world know ... here is a good title ... "Living Joyfully in a world of sorrows" ...

Sound of your heart

곧 kyu, 너를 사랑해.

today ... tomorrow ... forever ... 영원히 분홍색의 바다

Last edited by wiretwister; 03-21-2017 at 06:43 PM.
wiretwister is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 03-21-2017, 07:43 PM   #18
Magnate

My Mood:

733 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiretwister View Post
as I said earlier ... there is only one "cure" ... all other paths though helpful are not a cure ... a cure means it is over ... depression is a condition .... not a broke bone ... it is like diabetes ... it must be treated ... and it can be sucessfully managed ... and it has no cure outside of death ...

" ... It does hurt to come to the end of a long journey (2.5 years)..." ... management ... not cured ...

and I truly hope you have many many more years .... and you find the peace and happiness you crave ... write a good story ... let the world know ... here is a good title ... "Living Joyfully in a world of sorrows" ...

One thing I have learned from Psych Central is that there is no one way to look at depression. You say depression is a condition...and you say that there is no cure outside of death. But others would disagree. I, in fact, disagree.

If I say I always have low-level depression does that mean I have a condition? What if along with it I always have a desire to change. Is that an incurable condition? Some would say, yes, it means I am maladjusted. Anything can be turned into a condition.

To me depression is a signal and a sign that things have to change. Maybe our behaviors have to change. Maybe the way we think has to change.

Maybe it is a sign of weakness in body and spirit.

My depression took hold when my only sister died. I def had complicated grief issues and it also forced me back into contact with a dysfunctional family of origin. Add some kindling to the fire...a situation of being stalked forcing me to move...two jobs I loved ending..financial problems...and a bad move geographically that has forced me into isolation.

Life is change and when things get stagnant we get depressed.

Unread 03-21-2017, 09:06 PM   #19
나의 햇살

wiretwister wonderful but modest

My Mood:

3 yr Member
577 hugs
given

again I wish you complete recovery ... but I know no one who has been depressed (not talking about feeling sad or even seasonal) ... but laying down and trying to off yourself depression ... and even if they survive and have a great joyful life now .... does not still entertain the random su thought ... does not under certain conditions fall back into a period of depression even if slight and short lived ... I (personally) do not believe it ever leaves you ... it is always in the back of your mind ... if this is not your experience then I am so happy for you ... I would love to be wrong ... so many have been managing this for so many years ... some get better ... hell I am better than in years ... but many do not ... maybe those that are "cured" just leave ... good for them ... but it is not my experience ...

Sound of your heart

곧 kyu, 너를 사랑해.

today ... tomorrow ... forever ... 영원히 분홍색의 바다
wiretwister is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Unread 03-21-2017, 10:09 PM   #20
SROB1983 has no updates.

Sorry you are suffering. It's the absolute pits.

I am in Australia, and here you have to make an appointment with a GP, then you have to make an appointment with a Psychiatrist/Psychologist that can take weeks for anyone to get in.

There is a crisis team, but unless you are actively trying to harm yourself, they won't take you.

There is hardly anything for the people who desperately just want help.
SROB1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says: