advertisement
Unread 03-20-2017, 09:57 AM   #1
Magnate

DechanDawa has no updates.

My Mood:

752 hugs
given
Trig Sign of severe depression...

Suicidal ideation is the sign of serious, severe depression. Perhaps mental health care workers have heard it one too many times. Many so-called treatments are for moderate depression. If you read deeper you find out that exercise is not recommended as a cure all for severe depression.

ECT and magnetic whatever...applying magnets to the brain...are the final treatment for severe depression. Yet judging from the stories here on PC it is a rare few who benefit. Most are left worse off.

Medicatiion seems to be the main treatment. It is odd that so many are on AD's for life when in all the medical literature it is recommended that AD's should only be used short-term.* Same with benzoes.

Family, friends, and mental health care providers often do not address suicidal ideation when it should be the major red flag that someone is in deep distress. A big deal is made of suicide prevention...but where is the cure? The cause is untreated or improperly treated severe depression.

*I don't know if this applies to bipolar. It seems to be the exception.

Last edited by DechanDawa; 03-20-2017 at 10:37 AM.
DechanDawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:

advertisement
Unread 03-20-2017, 08:50 PM   #2
we are one

wiretwister Tigger going contently into the sunset

My Mood:

3 yr Member
612 hugs
given
Default Re: Sign of severe depression...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DechanDawa View Post
A big deal is made of suicide prevention...but where is the cure? The cause is untreated or improperly treated severe depression.

*I don't know if this applies to bipolar. It seems to be the exception.
there is of course only one cure ... if you define cure as no longer seeking to commit suicide ...

and that is completion ... yes it applies to bipolar but at a much higher sucess rate ...

depending on what you mean by sucess ... sorry to be so cheerful ... I would be a liar if I said

I don't think about this every day of my life ... bet most of you do too ... but I love you guys and

I want you to not do as I do but as I say ... be happy ... find your bliss ... embrace life as hard

as you can ... be well .... I'm going to bed now .... sleep well my friends ... Tigger.

SoonKyu is the light at the end of my tunnel.
wiretwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Unread 03-20-2017, 09:14 PM   #3
Magnate

My Mood:

752 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiretwister View Post
there is of course only one cure ... if you define cure as no longer seeking to commit suicide ...

and that is completion ... yes it applies to bipolar but at a much higher sucess rate ...

depending on what you mean by sucess ... sorry to be so cheerful ... I would be a liar if I said

I don't think about this every day of my life ... bet most of you do too ... but I love you guys and

I want you to not do as I do but as I say ... be happy ... find your bliss ... embrace life as hard

as you can ... be well .... I'm going to bed now .... sleep well my friends ... Tigger.

No. That is not the cure. That would be the completion of the depression process, perhaps, but certainly not the cure for severe depression. No...the cure is to have a life without a dark pall over it. Yes, I do know that with bipolar and also BPD the rate of suicide is higher.

But no, Tigger, completion is not a cure. It is a tragedy.

With depression becoming a global epidemic alleviation of suffering should be the goal.

The goal is more attention paid to prevention, reduction of suffering, and freedom from suffering.

For those of you with loved ones I beg of you to depend on them more and allow them to love you more. If I had that in my life I think things would be easier. And I hope to have more love in the future.

Love, hope, courage, and persistence...are part of the cure.

What do you all think??? Please offer your wisdom...

Hugs from:
Unread 03-20-2017, 10:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Vibrating Obsidian has no updates.

130 hugs
given

I've had many dark thoughts about the world myself, but as I'm coming out of depression overtime, the outlook on the world changes.
I will share my dark thoughts and hopefully some useful wisdom out of it:
Sometimes during my moments of depression, I feel it's because there is something wrong with the reality we live in - we are not united, people say as they want for their own sake, people meaninglessly seek pleasure. There is poverty, war environmental destruction, global warming... A reason nothing is solved - lacking unity. We are all human, yet each of us is driven into his own goals. The internet is a great contributor to this mess, too.
I've come up with a guiding sentence to such deep depressive moments, to counter them: "No matter the dark thoughts you have and dark things you see, the human raise will always prevail. No matter the vengeance, the wars, the destruction, it will always prevail."
Government executive actions are a complex of systems including so many people, so much intelligence beyond one person's reach. Other than expressing thoughts and feelings there's hardly something you can do about it. You're one person out of so many. If you can't do anything about it, just live your life as others do so innocently!
Yet... another piece of advice I can give you is to be compassionate to your depression. The depression is also a kind of feeling towards life.
I personally have no problem fighting the odds and fighting what is wrong. But that requires preparations, mainly unity.

I don't know if it's much advice... but you can write everything you feel about the reality we live in. It may be worth for people to know how others feel, and accept negative feelings for a change, not just all blossoms and happiness.

As for practical advice:
There are many things that have helped me personally. One is exercising, second is natural medications - Stabillium 200 for stress, and St. John's Wort (500mg) for depression (specifically mild-moderate depression, mild anxiety and mild ocd).
I am not very pleased with having to use an AD (St. John's Wort), but it's natural and non-chemical, and I am eventually planning on improving my diet and plan to treat depression by consuming better amounts of vitamins and minerals, be able to gradually take exercise as a habit since I've always tended to fall from it...
I merely use the AD as a tool, not as something I have to depend on.
It has been described in articles that lacking vitamins and minerals such as vitamin D and Iron can contribute to depression, too.

Though I may not be the best example since I have mild-moderate depression, I'm telling you this to show you there are so many ways to make yourself feel better.
Since it's a major depression, medications can greatly help, and you don't have to take them forever! Medications are taken for short-term for mild-moderate depressions, and usually with therapy along the way. Major depression however may take more time to heal. Keep in mind that suicidal idealization does not necessarily mean major depression.
Vibrating Obsidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Hugs from:
Unread 03-20-2017, 10:26 PM   #5
Magnate

My Mood:

752 hugs
given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibrating Obsidian View Post
I've had many dark thoughts about the world myself, but as I'm coming out of depression overtime, the outlook on the world changes.
I will share my dark thoughts and hopefully some useful wisdom out of it:
Sometimes during my moments of depression, I feel it's because there is something wrong with the reality we live in - we are not united, people say as they want for their own sake, people meaninglessly seek pleasure. There is poverty, war environmental destruction, global warming... A reason nothing is solved - lacking unity. We are all human, yet each of us is driven into his own goals. The internet is a great contributor to this mess, too.
I've come up with a guiding sentence to such deep depressive moments, to counter them: "No matter the dark thoughts you have and dark things you see, the human raise will always prevail. No matter the vengeance, the wars, the destruction, it will always prevail."
Government executive actions are a complex of systems including so many people, so much intelligence beyond one person's reach. Other than expressing thoughts and feelings there's hardly something you can do about it. You're one person out of so many. If you can't do anything about it, just live your life as others do so innocently!
Yet... another piece of advice I can give you is to be compassionate to your depression. The depression is also a kind of feeling towards life.
I personally have no problem fighting the odds and fighting what is wrong. But that requires preparations, mainly unity.

I don't know if it's much advice... but you can write everything you feel about the reality we live in. It may be worth for people to know how others feel, and accept negative feelings for a change, not just all blossoms and happiness.

As for practical advice:
There are many things that have helped me personally. One is exercising, second is natural medications - Stabillium 200 for stress, and St. John's Wort (500mg) for depression (specifically mild-moderate depression, mild anxiety and mild ocd).
I am not very pleased with having to use an AD (St. John's Wort), but it's natural and non-chemical, and I am eventually planning on improving my diet and plan to treat depression by consuming better amounts of vitamins and minerals, be able to gradually take exercise as a habit since I've always tended to fall from it...
I merely use the AD as a tool, not as something I have to depend on.
It has been described in articles that lacking vitamins and minerals such as vitamin D and Iron can contribute to depression, too.

Though I may not be the best example since I have mild-moderate depression, I'm telling you this to show you there are so many ways to make yourself feel better.
Since it's a major depression, medications can greatly help, and you don't have to take them forever! Medications are taken for short-term for mild-moderate depressions, and usually with therapy along the way. Major depression however may take more time to heal. Keep in mind that suicidal idealization does not necessarily mean major depression.

I never had suicidal ideation with moderate depression. In fact, I have never had it until this last depression which I would categorize as having been severe. I don't know why you are saying "medications can greatly help, and you don't have to take them forever" which is kind of a rash generalization. Many are not helped by pharma medications and as well, many people on Psych Central have been on various ADs for decades. Although ADs are recommended for short term use they, along with benzodiazapines, which have the same recommendation...are prescribed for not years, but decades.

You say that exercise helped you but then you say your depression has been mild to moderate...when the title of this thread is about signs of severe depression.

I had not heard of St. John's Wort referred to as an AD. Perhaps this would cause confusion. In general, pharma or synthetics are referred to as ADs. I take valerian but I would not call it an AD. I would not refer to herbs as ADs.

I choose to have unmedicated depression meaning I will never take synthetic pharma drugs. For me they have proven quite dangerous. For many they are dangerous and forewarnings on sites such as this one are appropriate.

Hugs from:
Unread 03-20-2017, 10:41 PM   #6
Magnate

My Mood:

752 hugs
given

Well, the human race will not prevail, and the planet will not go on forever. The Universe is expanding and the planets are moving further out. At some point the sun will be too far from earth to provide life sustaining light and warmth. The planet is finite. The human race is finite. It will all end.

But probably not in our lifetime.

Meanwhile, there is so much crap stuff going on that people do not really care about. We are basically ruining the quality of life by our habits. People are selfish and want to continue to produce goods that cannot be recycled...and to pollute the planet's atmosphere.

Have you ever seen videos of the toxic lakes in Mongolia with grey fuming toxic manufacturing waste is spewing out of gigantic pipes? It is sickening and scary.

Whatever.

I would be happy to leave my personal, individual suffering behind to work towards a better world. In fact, this thought above all else inspires me to get better sooner rather than later.

The world does need us.

Hugs from:

« Thoughts | Break »